GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedcams

cigale

Here's how to create and install your own custom POI's on a Discover Pro unit. I've used a list of "National Trust" properties in the UK as an example (as Speedcams are copyrighted) but you can use any combination of suitable POIs you have access to.

All of the instructions and specs can be found on the VW web-site in their FAQ at: http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/faq.html (German).

The important points are:
You need to get compatible POI files - e.g. in ASC or CSV format are the easiest. If you want to create your own icon, this should be 39x39 pixels in PNG format (transparency is supported). Once you have these, you need to use VW's NAV-Companion web-site to create the installable POIs. This can be found at: http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html (again, German - there are no English versions available).

The output from NAV-Companion is a zip file (National Trust POIs Discover Pro.zip in this example). To install the POIs, you'll need to extract the contents of the zip file to a blank SD card. You'll end up with a single text file (metainfo2.txt and a folder 'PersonalPOI' on the card). Take the card to the car and then follow these steps to install...

Insert the SD card into the Discover Pro.
Press the hard key "Menu".
Select the option "Setup".
Scroll down and select "System Information".
Select "Update Software".
The Discover Pro now displays the "Software Update checks". Select "Next" and then "OK" and "now."
The device will now reboot. Then the POI package will be available in the navigation context.

You can only install one set of personal POIs at a time - the file you install overwrites any previously installed custom POIs, but you can include many individual POI files in your set (so you could create individual zoned speedcam sets quite easily for example).

I've also attached a file called National Trust Source POIs.zip that contains the source POIs CSV file and icon in PNG format so you can try the process yourself.

There's no mention of the Discover Media unit on any the NAV-Companion pages so I guess this is only for Discover Pro - but would be interesting to know if the Discover Media does anything if you follow the installation instructions above - maybe a Discover Media owner could try it and let us know.
I have the discover media - my Garmin was much better. I have tried the procedure for Discover Pro but it does not work for discover media. I did back up the sd card on my computer before trying this but it did not cause a problem. I would also like to create routes. You can only put in one stopover. This is a doddle with a garmin as you can create a route in google maps transfer it to Tyre software and send it to the garmin. I think it is appalling that there are no worthwhile instructions and only a German site to go to. The car did not come with instructions on updating the maps and you can only check if a newer version is available on the German website. The maps are free for three years but I have been told if you want a "firmware" update it will cost but VW don't know how to do it!! I have written to Germany telling them what I think.

Dandysek

I was always convinced NOT to buy integrated NAVI because of the enormous price and low functionality.
I can use my phone, tablet or jus my GARMIN instead.

But since I borrowed the new MK7 Golf with the Composition Media system, it convinced me to spend some more money to make it fully integrated car system with no extra mounts all over dashboard / screen.
Since I travel a lot all over the Europe it will make it simpler for daily usage.

So now I am pretty sure to buy VW offered NAVI, but which one?
Discover media
- smaller screen
- 2D Navi
- 2x SD Memorry card reader (up to 64GB) [MP3, PHOTO]
- No VIDEO playback
- No custom POI
- better price

Discover media PRO
- bigger screen
- 3D Navi (with 3D buildings in the big cities)
- Integrated 64GB memmory
- Video playback
- Custom POI
- high price

Is it worth to order Discover media PRO or NOT?
3D Maps are appealing, but I thing this won't significantly help you within navigation.

Custom POI is more interesting for me. If I load there my POIs, like the speed cam or radar, can I also set some alarm for those? Like I am used to in my Garmin device?
Otherwise It's just useless feature for me i guess.

Video playback does it play some .MOV files?

What else will convince me to spend another 1000 EUR to buy PRO version?
THX guys!

dipth

Ready to race!
In my opinion the main selling point of Discover Pro is the bigger screen. The screens in the other versions simply look like childrens toys compared to the screen on the Pro.

Suffice to say I went for the Pro :)

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
In my opinion the main selling point of Discover Pro is the bigger screen. The screens in the other versions simply look like childrens toys compared to the screen on the Pro.

Suffice to say I went for the Pro :)

I see your point, however with sat navs, it's the voice instruction that is more crucial than the display and I would rather keep my eyes on the road than looking at a pretty screen, I have an xperia z with navfree sat nav app and it is easily viewable, the larger screen on the DNS is larger, so will be ample, I don't like the wires etc all over the vehicle, but here the DNS is £735 vs £1735 for the pro, not sure how 2.5D compares with full 3D, the video and extra SD slot I couldn't justfy another £1000 for.

Dandysek

I've seen many times some Google Earth basemaps and satelite pictures on screen of the PRO version. Where is the truth? Is this some kind of the feature?

I really miss more info about both NAVI systems. It will be better to hear about it from some GOLF enthusiast like you are guys ;)

My local dealer doesn't know much about it, since they are selling 90% the 1.2TSI with standard radio included :(

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I've seen many times some Google Earth basemaps and satelite pictures on screen of the PRO version. Where is the truth? Is this some kind of the feature?

I really miss more info about both NAVI systems. It will be better to hear about it from some GOLF enthusiast like you are guys ;)

My local dealer doesn't know much about it, since they are selling 90% the 1.2TSI with standard radio included :(

I'm guessing it can go onto google maps via the phone's data connection.

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
use waze for camera alerts /end thread

make life easier for yourself and get police speedtrap warnings/accident reports/traffic in addition to the camera alerts

Dandysek

use waze for camera alerts /end thread

make life easier for yourself and get police speedtrap warnings/accident reports/traffic in addition to the camera alerts

I am currently using this app in either iPhone and my iPad. Works great unless you cannot stay on-line. Traveling across the Europe is a cellphone nightmare. Roaming costs are incredibly high for data... Shame on the EU govs.

Since I work in Austria but live in The Czech Republic it's better to have some off-line or just partially off-line solution.

dipth

Ready to race!
...Traveling across the Europe is a cellphone nightmare. Roaming costs are incredibly high for data... Shame on the EU govs.

To be fair, they did just pass a law recently that puts a limit on what the providers can charge for roaming data. And they say that the prices are going to be forced even lower in the near future.

JCJ

Ready to race!
I have just ordered my Golf with Nav Pro. All the above info will be really useful, however it fills me with dread having to work my way through the process of loading speed camera, album art and DAB Radio Icons.

Does anyone know if VW will offer to do this for me?