GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundaktor On or Off? Any other dealer pickup recommendations?

mwhittaker1

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I am looking for a quieter, refined experience (coming from a WRX) but want the performance where necessary and AWD.

Also, any idea what stock tires could be resold for if removed within the first few days. I'm strongly considering just putting All-Seasons on. Its my daily driver so i'm ok with All-Seasons. I know many are going to suggest winter wheels, but i'd prefer not to have to worry about changing wheels/tires.

Had the dealer change mine out at time of purchase. 14 miles on the old continental summers (FS if anyone wants...).

I got these

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...n&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Golf R&autoModClar=

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Its funny to me: VW sold the R with an A/S tire until MY '17,

Not true, at least in my case - my '16 has Pirelli P-Zero's. Summer tire.

https://goo.gl/ub9g6g

Back to the topic at hand - my advice is to try the car with and without the Soundaktor. I shut mine off immediately after buying the car via OBDEleven. After a few weeks I decided the car was too quiet so I turned it back on to its original 100%. I immediately decided that I prefer that it be left on. Totally a personal preference thing, everybody should experience the car with and without it, then make a decision, IMHO.

alexspeed3

Passed Driver's Ed
Turn it off via obdeleven, it's simple cheap and you will need a diagnostic tool anyways.
My dealership and the service guys flat out denied that these cars have soundaktor. After trying to reason with them I gave up. I can't imagine that those guys are that stupid which leads me to think that maybe it's corporate policy to not say anything about it.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Turn it off via obdeleven, it's simple cheap and you will need a diagnostic tool anyways.
My dealership and the service guys flat out denied that these cars have soundaktor. After trying to reason with them I gave up. I can't imagine that those guys are that stupid which leads me to think that maybe it's corporate policy to not say anything about it.
Oh yeah OBDeleven is the clear choice here. Best $60 you can spend on your car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have the dealer turn off the SoundAktor (mine was turned off the first week!), also have them change the turn signal quick signal from its 3 blinks to 5 blinks. Todays drivers are so preoccupied with other nonsense that 3 turn signal blinks may not be seen, as I have noted on many lane changes I have made, while watching the driver ahead/behind me.
-Rod

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Plan to pick up an R today? What is the prevailing thought - have the Soundaktor on or off? Should I ask the dealer to disable it in software before pickup?

Also do any of you install anything on the rear bumper to protect front load/unload scratches?

Finalky, any other tips or things I should be aware of for pickup? I read a thread that some dealers have left the strut picks in (hope not since I briefly test drive this car). Is that a prevalent thing?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't have the dealer do anything. Just drive the car as is and see how you like it. In normal mode the Soundaktor isn't as loud as race. And in individual mode I believe you can set everything on sport and leave the engine sound normal. It's been a while since I changed my modes...I'm always on race, but have my Soundaktor turned off.

I would then invest in OBDeleven (android only?) or get VCDS. I have had VCDS for a while since I had an older VW. OBDeleven & VCDS can have you add/adjust several different things. Here is what I've done so far:

Enable Compass: I don't have Nav/DCC and my compass was disabled..wtf right?

Comfort Windows: Roll down/up windows with remote

Soundaktor: You can adjust this to 0 volume or any other % as it's defaulted to 100%

Exhaust Flaps: Your exhaust is valved and there are times when the two outer will open and close. You can change this behavior to full open for more exhaust note all the time, but some say it drones.

Instrument Cluster Lighting: This basically leaves the instrument cluster on full bright all the time. At times it will dim due to how dark it is outside.

Comfort Blinking: Change the temp blinkers from 3 to 5...sorry I'm not sure the correct term but when you lightly press the blinker to go left or right it's defaulted to 3. For me I wanted 5.

Mirror Dip in Reverse: When you reverse you can set your passenger mirror to dip so you don't curve your wheel. You might not get the mirror to return though due to a memory module in your side mirrors...YMMV.

Lot's more info here in the link below. Sorry if I didn't post a link for this forum, I'm not sure of one similar. If I've made any mistakes then anyone can feel free to correct me.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7134970-VCDS-Tweaks-for-the-7R

Congrats on the R, it's an amazing car!

lostru

Ready to race!
Turned mine off via VCDS cable then opened the exhaust flaps. Its almost too much but I enjoy the real sound of the engine when running some backroads. I am a DSG and can get a little drone when in the low RPM's accelerating but its not overwhelming.
Tire wise I have run the PSS and really enjoyed them. Then I switched to the All season Continental DWS06. Seemed a little soft at first until increasing the tire pressure 3PSI. I really enjoy the ride and ability (that I can safely use on the street) better than the PSS for this being my commuter car.

bpw

Ready to race!
Is the clear bumper sticker a dealer accessory or third party?

I got mine at the dealer it was a vw part. Included the rear deck sticker and all the underneath door handle pieces.

The reason a lot of peoplearning hate the fake sound is because it's... fake. Supposed to be a performance car and here they go slapping a speaker in it to make vroom vroom noises. Still don't understand that move but to each their own, some peole like fake boobs too. :confused:

jp03191

Passed Driver's Ed
I had them turn mine to 50%.
At that setting it blends with the engine better.
If you have not driven with it on 100% much why not try 50% and then at 10,000 service if you do not like turn it off.

Don't go off of others hate for it.
See for yourself - you might like some of it on at a lower setting.

I agree, I had a friend turn mine off and it was too quiet for me. To be honest in sport or custom settings it is too loud, in comfort mode its almost perfect, so I am going to have to fiddle with it to find the right mix for me but without a TBE the car is too quiet for me with no soundaktor.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
The reason a lot of peoplearning hate the fake sound is because it's... fake. Supposed to be a performance car and here they go slapping a speaker in it to make vroom vroom noises. Still don't understand that move but to each their own, some peole like fake boobs too. :confused:
With the quiet factory exhaust, you need some of the noise from the soundaktor so your car can communicate with you. The engine is so smooth and quiet that it's tougher to judge shift points.

The fake boob analogy doesn't work here. You can still touch, feel, and communicate with small boobs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
Honestly, I am looking for a quieter, refined experience (coming from a WRX) but want the performance where necessary and AWD.

Also, any idea what stock tires could be resold for if removed within the first few days. I'm strongly considering just putting All-Seasons on. Its my daily driver so i'm ok with All-Seasons. I know many are going to suggest winter wheels, but i'd prefer not to have to worry about changing wheels/tires.

From one subaru owner to anther. The car is 10 fold quieter in its stock form then a stock WRX. I enjoy the fart box. as it muffles the road noise and makes it sound powerful lol.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
The nice thing about the Soundaktor is that since it's software adjustable there's no wrong answer. If you don't like it, change it until you do.

I tried dropping mine at 25% and found the car too quiet, so raised it back to 50% or so.

Neil