GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smallest Vehicle That Can Comfortably Tow 2000lbs?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
Should be good timing with APR's sale likely starting next week. ;)

Yep, I believe my current hardware (CAI & DP) will mate right up. Should make for a nice little jet ski puller.

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I was hoping to find something on this because I'd like to get a jetski in the next year or so. Do you guys think that the GTI would be ok with a single 2/3 person waverunner? Sorry to thread jack but I was curious as well.

DarkCloak

Banned
A single jet-ski you should be ok. Just be careful though being front wheel drive. If the ramp is very steep (Usually this is on rivers) you will have traction problems. Although you can tow with a stick. Autos are much easier when pulling out and backing a trailer in. With a stick you may have to slip the clutch a lot!

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A single jet-ski you should be ok. Just be careful though being front wheel drive. If the ramp is very steep (Usually this is on rivers) you will have traction problems. Although you can tow with a stick. Autos are much easier when pulling out and backing a trailer in. With a stick you may have to slip the clutch a lot!

Thanks, luckily I have the DSG for this potential issue. I appreciate the feedback.

C4L

Banned
ALL CARS (sans maybe a Smart or Fiat500) are capable of towing at least 1,000 lbs. The Jetta TDI actually has the tow record for a car but I can't remember what the amount was. Something like 3,000 lbs sounds familiar.

When dealing with a boat launch you of course have to deal with the surface being wet, sloped, and many times even algae-invested (very slick).

My pick for SMALLEST (not necessarily cheapest) 2k lb tow vehicle would be a Tiguan actually. It is rated to 2,200 lbs and is really not much bigger than a 4-door Golf...

Subaru Forester is rated to 2,400 lbs with either the 2.5 or the Turbo. Those are cheaper than Tiguans...

Most of the other 'cute-utes' tow less than 2,000 lbs.

Volvo rates their cars quite well for towing;
C30/C70 - 2,000 lbs
S60/S80/XC60/XC70 - 3,300 lbs
XC90 - 5,000 lbs

Last edited:

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Any update on the Tiguan? Did you trade the GTI in on one?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
I did. 2010 SE 4Motion. I'm sure it can tow just fine as is, but I'm going stage 1 this weekend just for good measure.

C4L

Banned
I did. 2010 SE 4Motion. I'm sure it can tow just fine as is, but I'm going stage 1 this weekend just for good measure.

Its typically not the power that inhibits towing...

You will find very often that vehicles carry the same towing capacity regardless of the engine. Look at a Cayenne for instance that has tons of engine options. The 240hp Diesel, 300hp V6, 380hp Hybrid, 400hp/420hp V8, and 500hp Turbo ALL have the same towing capacity (7,716 lbs).

Things like gearing/axle ratios, drivetrain, and even physical size/weight do.

In the Cayenne example, the V6 base model offers a choice of a manual or automatic. The manual is rated to tow 5,952 lbs vs. the automatic which is rated to tow 7,716 lbs.

The added power will make it quicker while towing but not necessarily better at towing.

Last edited:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
The added power will make it quicker while towing but not necessarily better at towing.

Quicker at towing is part of better at towing. I have done plenty of towing over the years so the ability to tow the jet skis and pull them out of the water isn't my concern. I just want to be able to pass/drive comfortably on the highway and enter the highway from an onramp without speed issues.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
Torque brah

Only helps if you can put it down. Luckily with the 4Motion I can. Later this year the Tiguan will be getting K04.

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Stick or automatic? Another thing to consider is that added power creates more heat, and towing adds strain. Looking at more stress on the engine. Being able to pass is nice, while towing. But that doesn't mean you can run it hard all the time, towing, with no side effects. Drive responsible and you'll have a great ski tow vehicle.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion
Got the Stage 1 flash done this week. Love the 4Motion Tiguan with the flash!