GOLFMKV

Sliced my hand open in my 2015 GTI...

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
* Rimshot *

spaghetti118

Spoke with a VW rep today, since I'm outside of the 12,000 mile warranty for interior trim they cant do anything for me until i get it appraised by a dealership.....would literally buy the piece of trim from them if they gave me a part #.

baldybouncer

My 2013 Golf GT has done the same - I cut my hand installing the MDI cable - it is razor sharp and cut my hand without me even feeling it.

I contacted the dealership as this trim had been off recently for warranty work and was told the part (gearknob and leather boot) comes to £130! and is not under warranty or the garage accept they have damaged the car...

This is clearly a design fault and is dangerous on an adult - imagine a child gets hurt by this...

ChrisK

Ready to race!
Had a little bit of metal from the N in engiNe on my Start Stop Engine button come loose today and I felt a right prick when I pressed it.:D

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_img_20160215_151154586.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_img_20160215_151154586.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,360

baldybouncer

VW UK are saying I have to replace the part myself - it is clear from these issues the trim is not really suitable for the interior of a car if it so easily can become razor sharp...

I will be taking it further and if needed will show up VW for not taking customer care seriously - I have done similar in the past...

theophilus

Passed Driver's Ed
I suggest you contact VW corporate right away, don't even talk to the dealership. They'll open a case and direct you to a local dealership to do the documentation. It was a relatively simple case for me in the US. Good luck to you.

JeffMavMerc

I love my MK7 GTI but today as I was pulling my wallet out of the center console storage compartment, the silver trim piece in front of the shifter boot caught my hand and sliced it open. At first I thought it was just a scratch but when I looked at my hand it was dripping with blood. After rushing into the closest Giant to stop the bleeding and to purchase bandages, I later came out to inspect the car and noticed that the trim piece was slightly deformed which exposed the razor sharp edge. I was pretty shocked and now I'm worried it's going to happen again to me or my family even if I take it to the dealership and have them replace the piece. It seems to be a design flaw. What do you guys think? Has anyone else noticed this?

Pictures in this album. I took the pictures of my hand several hours later to show it wasn't just a tiny scratch. Warning, some blood.
http://imgur.com/a/zUcX2

I had the same issue happen to me. Although I didn't cut my hand at all, got kinda lucky and my fingernail caught the edge of that trim and peeled off a portion of the silver trim. Will be going in to the stealership lol on Monday let's see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Exact same thing just happened to me in my new-to-me 2016 with 28K miles. My dealer was aware of this issue and is replacing it under warranty.

The chrome seems to come off of the base plate and once it peals up is like a razor blade! Deeply sliced my finger open and I barely felt it. Bled like a mofo! Luckily it was a clean slice inward so once the bleeding stopped I was able to super-glue it to keep it closed.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Took a piece of that trim ring under the fingernail one day. Sucked real bad. Whole trim ring has been peeling. Found on on Ali that’s reasonably priced to replace it.

OP, if yours hasn’t started peeling, maybe try to put some packing tape over the back of the trim ring, the part that contacts the little door, to prevent any peeling/further injury.

REDRUM_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Same shi# happened to me. Had a system professionally installed and they broke that trim piece that goes over the shifter. Well, pulling out my wallet on dark morning I cut the shi# outta my finger. I feel your pain bro.

SoSteezy

Passed Driver's Ed
I knew exactly what you were talking about before I even opened the thread.

I had no idea this was item was eligible for warranty work, gotta get in there soon.

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone have photos of how this actually looks? At what point/where is it sharp?

It's so small and unnoticeable (until it cuts you...) that I don't think it would photograph well.

The narrow strip of chrome between the shift boot and the front center cubby is the culprit. The edge of the chrome closest to the cubby is where mine is sharp.

I can't see it, but if you rub your finger FRONT TO BACK you can feel it. If you run your finger left to right it's razor time!