GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
If I keep reading about open vs closed intakes, I will slap myself a dozen times with a panel filter. I no longer know what the truth is or what to beleive.

It does seem like, on a modded engine, if your using a closed system, you need to mod the grill or trim piece to direct air into the box, or else it is still air-starved. Whereas an open filter gets more air, but it's nasty air. Still, the open intakes can be had in the $200 range, the closed carbon fiber ones, like the new AWE, are $600, and we all know they can get higher than that depending on vendor and design.

Dynos are nice, but what I'd like to do is have a good example of both types of intakes, and go to the drag strip. I first lay down a couple of baseline runs with my 100% oem intake. Then I swap in each aftermarket intake, one open, one closed, and do a few runs with each. Same day, same track conditions. I have a DSG, so the runs will be very consistent.

That would tell the tale completely, as far as I'm concerned. Any vendor out there who will loan me the two intakes this Spring, I will be happy to run the tests. Or, loan them to someone else we would trust here on this forum. Then I don't have to spend half my day at the track installing and un-installing intakes :D But I know you won't do it, because A) You think we might keep 'em and B) On the chance you're all bs-ing us on the horsepower gains, the drag runs will either show you to be truthful men, or at best, "overly optimistic". If the runs don't show at least a full tenth improvement over the oem intake, sales of intakes may take a hit, and we know you wouldn't want that! But don't fret, you'll still have the fashionistas and sound-freaks to keep buying them.

Others may disagree here, and I don't care, because if I'm going to spend this sort of money for air, it had better make my GTI go faster, simple as that. I don't give a damn about "sound", or making my engine bay look nice, if it doesn't Perform.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
If I keep reading about open vs closed intakes, I will slap myself a dozen times with a panel filter. I no longer know what the truth is or what to beleive.

It does seem like, on a modded engine, if your using a closed system, you need to mod the grill or trim piece to direct air into the box, or else it is still air-starved. Whereas an open filter gets more air, but it's nasty air. Still, the open intakes can be had in the $200 range, the closed carbon fiber ones, like the new AWE, are $600, and we all know they can get higher than that depending on vendor and design.

Dynos are nice, but what I'd like to do is have a good example of both types of intakes, and go to the drag strip. I first lay down a couple of baseline runs with my 100% oem intake. Then I swap in each aftermarket intake, one open, one closed, and do a few runs with each. Same day, same track conditions. I have a DSG, so the runs will be very consistent.

That would tell the tale completely, as far as I'm concerned. Any vendor out there who will loan me the two intakes this Spring, I will be happy to run the tests. Or, loan them to someone else we would trust here on this forum. Then I don't have to spend half my day at the track installing and un-installing intakes :D But I know you won't do it, because A) You think we might keep 'em and B) On the chance you're all bs-ing us on the horsepower gains, the drag runs will either show you to be truthful men, or at best, "overly optimistic". If the runs don't show at least a full tenth improvement over the oem intake, sales of intakes may take a hit, and we know you wouldn't want that! But don't fret, you'll still have the fashionistas and sound-freaks to keep buying them.

Others may disagree here, and I don't care, because if I'm going to spend this sort of money for air, it had better make my GTI go faster, simple as that. I don't give a damn about "sound", or making my engine bay look nice, if it doesn't Perform.
Can I get an Amen!?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

APR has posted dyno results.
AWE-Tuning has posted dyno results.
ECS-Tuning has posted dyno results.
K&N has posted dyno results.
Mishimoto has posted dyno results.
Autotech has posted dyno results.
Neuspeed has posted dyno results.

All are in the ballpark of one another.

Claims by Integrated Engineering and CTS are inline with the posted dyno results from other vendors.

If you came back with results showing no difference, or more likely inconclusive, I would have a hard time believing all of the dyno results are wrong.

It's a small difference that the intake makes and vendors quote peak numbers versus overall to make it sound better, but it seems highly unlikely that there is no performance gain to be had from the aftermarket intakes.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Those seems to all be manufacturer dynos. Not all on stock cars and different dynos.

It would be cool to see them compared on one car (bone stock) in one day on a third party dyno.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!

I kept my stock box for a couple of reasons. I did upgrade to the aFe drop in and swapped the TIP with an ECS one. I kept the box because of the friggin ridiculous heat we have in South Alabama. My thought is to keep a closed system so I can mitigate sucking more heat. In Dothan, Alabama we get all of the gulf humidity with no gulf breeze.

Last edited:

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Those seems to all be manufacturer dynos. Not all on stock cars and different dynos.

It would be cool to see them compared on one car (bone stock) in one day on a third party dyno.

Why when no one dyno reads the same + the variable of the universe given the time of testing?

It's funny to me that people are talking down on dyno data when everything we essentially buy is based off of gains measured from a dyno. When a company attempts to appease our picky needs, now theyre not wanted... yet so many people are running nuespeed cones and tubes and others are running APR scrotum intakes. This is all observation. I'm barely "modified" because everyone's POVs are so contradicting i cant even take impressions seriously to the next guy without spending money to find out for myself.

It's like asking a woman where they want to eat.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I think people buy intakes more based on looks rather than performance...and if they don't cost what some of them do...people might not be so skeptical of the dyno numbers.

njavier03

Ready to race!

I kept my stock box for a couple of reasons. I did upgrade to the aFe drop in and swapped the TIP with an ECS one. I kept the box because of the friggin ridiculous heat we have in South Alabama. My thought is to keep a closed system so I can mitigate sucking more heat. In Dothan, Alabama we get all of the gulf humidity with no gulf breeze.

I have the exact same set up. The marginal benefits of an aftermarket closed intake dos not outweigh the price, so I decided to just improve the stock box. It’s too humid here in summer to have an open system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick99

Ready to race!
That's because it was the only thing available two years back. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lol true

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Slick99

Ready to race!

I have done the same setup as ur with aFe dry drop-in filter with Revo inlet hose n cts tip. I saved some by not spending on intake but got the Revo-technik intercooler for better IAT.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Predatorbird

Ready to race!
APR has posted dyno results.
AWE-Tuning has posted dyno results.
ECS-Tuning has posted dyno results.
K&N has posted dyno results.
Mishimoto has posted dyno results.
Autotech has posted dyno results.
Neuspeed has posted dyno results.

All are in the ballpark of one another.

Claims by Integrated Engineering and CTS are inline with the posted dyno results from other vendors.

If you came back with results showing no difference, or more likely inconclusive, I would have a hard time believing all of the dyno results are wrong.

It's a small difference that the intake makes and vendors quote peak numbers versus overall to make it sound better, but it seems highly unlikely that there is no performance gain to be had from the aftermarket intakes.
Have you ever put your car or previous cars on the dyno? I guarantee all the runs would vary in numbers. You can run the same car 3 times in a row without any changes and the numbers would all be different. This is why it's hard to prove 5 hp gains from an intake on the dyno.