GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Severe "Jerkyness" at low speeds 2016 MK7 DSG R

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
so I've had my 2016 Golf R DSG for roughly 7 years now. During that period its driven well for the most part. Now after servicing a leaking timing belt cover however the car jerks badly when accelerating and decelerating at very low speeds like in traffic, parking lots or stop signs at <15kmh/10mph. It feels like intermittently pumping the brakes when slowing down and stuttering the throttle when speeding up. The car drives pretty much normally when driving above 20mph besides some rough shifting.

Has anyone else had this problem with older DSG's?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
thanks for the reply, but I'm not familiar with this process, could you elaborate on what this is?
VCDS is the de facto third party diagnostic tool used for VW/Audi. It does almost everything a factory scan tool can. Great tool to have. OBD11 is another option. Either way running adaptations should be able to account for any variances that have occurred over the years.

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
VCDS is the de facto third party diagnostic tool used for VW/Audi. It does almost everything a factory scan tool can. Great tool to have. OBD11 is another option. Either way running adaptations should be able to account for any variances that have occurred over the years.
Is this something a shop can assist with? If so anyone know a good one in the toronto area?

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
You can try this...

Did you service the car or did you take it somewhere? Usually a car just doesn't start jerking and shifting rough all a once. This reset is the minimum that has to been done when you do a fluid service for the dsg.

"Most" issues with DSG transmissions are caused by people on understanding how they are different from a normal slush box, and constantly slipping the clutches in stop and go/stoplight traffic (creeping with their foot on the brake); while neglecting fluid changes.

Last edited:

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
You can try this...

Did you service the car or did you take it somewhere? Usually a car just doesn't start jerking and shifting rough all a once. This reset is the minimum that has to been done when you do a fluid service for the dsg.

"Most" issues with DSG transmissions are caused by people on understanding how they are different from a normal slush box, and constantly slipping the clutches in stop and go/stoplight traffic (creeping with their foot on the brake); while neglecting fluid changes.

My timing belt cover gaskets were leaking so I had them replaced, ever since then I’ve had these DSG issues. But I do all of those driving behaviours lol, like when you’re in a drive thru how do you not coast on the brakes?!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
My timing belt cover gaskets were leaking so I had them replaced, ever since then I’ve had these DSG issues. But I do all of those driving behaviours lol, like when you’re in a drive thru how do you not coast on the brakes?!
Ok..., perform the in car, reset, by holding down the kick down switch as described in the first two clips, report back. This is weird if it just started all the sudden.

These cars don't have a belt, chain...

Both the upper (plastic cam cover, and/or just the gasket) and lower (stamped steel), were replaced or just the upper? or do you know?
Was the work done at a dealer or indy shop?
Was it flat rate warranty work, or did you pay out of pocket? Assume not warranty, since you have owned it from 7 years... so the chances of a flat rate rush job are less, but not completely gone...
Miles on the car?
Does it happen just in D mode, S mode, does it happen in manual mode 1 to 2, 2 to 3? 3 to 2, 2 to 1? into and out of 1 and 3? or out of 2? Heavy, medium, light throttle all exhibit the same behavior?
Do you have a tune? engine or dsg, or both?
Did the dealer"perform" a "road test" after the work? If the DSG shifting issues, just started all the sudden it would make me wonder.

You do all those "driving behaviors"? Like constantly dragging the brakes in stop and go traffic, the ones (not great for DSGs, in the long run...)? Slipping clutches for long periods of time?
When is the last time you had the DSG serviced?
Have you had the car scanned for codes?

If you perform(ed) the in car reset (in the top two videos) and it gets better, but hasn't gone away completely. I would perform a fluid change and a full adaption reset with a proper scan tool.

If you do all three and nothing changes.....

I would say with what the information given, would indicate, your trans clutches are on their way out, and/or mechatronic valve body is filled with clutch material from possible premature clutch wear from your driving "style". Haven't changed the fluid in 7 years? oof, or taken the time to understand how the trans in your enthusiast model golf? Or it was on its way out, (reply with potato, if you are reading posts in entirety...if you don't, expect my next posts to wish you good luck) and a couple brisk accelerations and or a couple of attempted launches on a cooler trans, from a young(er) dealer tech, who doesn't really know how to enable launch control, contributed to this current state/behavior.

If none of this behavior at all was exhibited before, this is all just educated speculation, with the information you have presented, thus far...perform the described reset(s) and report back...if the aided problem solving on the forum is overwhelming you, I would reccomend, just taking the car back to the dealer and paying to be troubleshot, and hope they are good, and upstanding enough in their business model to assist. I have found Dealerships(and large auto chain(s) maintenance shops) to be in the 1 out of 3 range, and indy shops(not large chain...) in the 2 out of 3 range, for being mostly helpful/honest.

Last edited: