GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
GTI Jacket?

So does anyone know where this GTI jacket might be sold?
Any of the EU guys know?
Or is it a VW employee sold item?

IMG_2385.JPG

Zacr811

Ready to race!

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Does this option work with the Euro switch we can buy or are you saying the EU cars work this way? At night I will find a store window and see if it does anything.
Thanks for info on difference.

Installing the Euroswitch enables this functionality without any VCDS coding on NAR GTIs. It's so stinkin cool lol.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Euro Switch.

One additional difference between the Euroswitch's functionality and the US switch is that, with city lights
(DRLs+rear lights) engaged, when you activate your turning signal, the DRL fades to 50% illumination while your blinker blinks. When you disengage the turning signal, the DRL fades back to 100%.

I have only seen this feature on Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

You are correct.
I checked it out tonight using the car ahead of me in the drive thru.
Maybe I missed this feature but I do not remember anyone talking about the Euro switch doing this. I knew you could now turn the fog lights on with the DRL's. Impressive the switch can also change the DRL's with turn signal.
Good $35 spent. :D

Edit.
Forum member "kentinuum" pointed out that the DRL's dim with the stock switch also.
I will not be able to verify until I get back home. So my statement may not be true in the new euro switch also allowing DRL's to dim, they might already do this.
I will check later. Maybe it is a 15', 16' thing?

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Where can u get it fir 35 bucks??

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Where can u get it fir 35 bucks??

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Go on eBay.
Search Euro Switch MK7.
The one I have is $39.99 and is marked with a red triangle with "NEW" in the triangle. Down from $80. Reminder I have the LP with auto lights. They have switches for non auto. Not sure on price. A year ago these went for $100.
I had other items I wanted to buy first. They also sell a cable with sensor so you can set up non auto lights to be auto. Hope this helps.
A good mod and now I know it has an added feature.
PS. Don't drill any holes in it. ;)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
bah all confusing options my man, i have 'auto' function on my non-lp car, long as the switch is on 'auto' mode they are on? idk. chose the one you recommended and ordered!!

GTI2016

Ready to race!
OK, it's not about the girl so stay focused.

Some have mentioned painting the rear quarter panel a different color.
I think this looks rather nice. More of a track car look, but one could wrap it, which would be removed when finished with the look. I think it looks like the rear R8 panel. CF or Matt Black would look good.
I also like the wheels. Many have talked about white wheels but this has the black and red spokes with white barrel. I like it with the white car.

I bet she is a good salesperson with a nice personality.

What car? I dont see a car...?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
bah all confusing options my man, i have 'auto' function on my non-lp car, long as the switch is on 'auto' mode they are on? idk. chose the one you recommended and ordered!!

I would guess if your light switch is in auto and the light come on by themselves at dark then this switch should work. Hope it works out.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Wheels - My car is testing me!

My car is testing my commitment to low profile tires.
In February as posted earlier I avoided 2 pot holes but hit the third and largest. Bent an Austin and cracked the tires side wall. New tire and repaired rim, I decide to go ahead and buy a 2nd set of wheels to run summer tire set. This way if I damaged another, I had a back up.

Two weeks ago I went to a Friday training class for work over near Nashville. Running down Interstate 24, I took 840 over to a smaller highway to come in the back way to the other plant. Taking a ramp that went up and over the highway, I noticed an upcoming expansion joint looked bigger than normal. Not a lot of time, so I moved over to the right 2 feet to try and avoid the darker looking areas. Thud! &^%$*#@. The hit was not as bad as the last time, but was a solid impact. Ride quality seemed ok so I proceeded. Once I arrived, I looked at the tire and wheel and did not see any issues. That weekend I washed the car and did not see anything when washing the wheels.
A week and a half later I was walking by my car and noticed the top edge of the wheel. %$#^&*%$#. It was bent on the face at the edge of the lip. Tire was not damaged. Put a spare Austin on and did not drive it much. Contacted the guys who fixed my first wheel and dropped of one of my new OZ Leggera HLT wheels. They were able to repair the outside damage and also touch up the inside edge. Due to the work on the outside face, they repainted the wheel. Looked good. They also mount tires so I took my RE-11 and had them mount and balance. Again with the tire off I inspected inside and out and no visible damage. The RE-11's are a solid and rigid tire. They feel like run flats but are not.

So, picked up the wheel/tire and mounted it last night. Back on line.

2 wheels this year.
The prior 36 years - none.

Good pot hole avoiding to all! ;)

The end of the spoke looks bent in the pictures but that is part of the design. Only the lip of wheel was damaged on outside and lightly on the inside.

IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Do wider tires hurt gas milage?

Not sure but thought I would share my experience.
I have read other posts about wider tires hurting mpg and I do agree the added contact patch and drag should hurt mpg.
Just an update so you do not have to go back and look, but over a month ago I purchased new wheels and summer tires. I will keep my OE Austins for winter.
My new wheels are OZ Leggera HLT 18x8.
Tires are Bridgestone RE-11, 235/40R18.
From OE wheel width is up .5" and tire width is up 10mm.
The tire weight is plus 2 pounds from OE tires.
However the wider OZ wheel is much lighter, enough so that the new
Wheel/tire set up is 5lbs lighter at each corner.
So, today I made my first long run. Two hundred miles on a mix of 50 miles highway and the rest interstate. The highway part has many hills as you drive up and over the Cumberland plateau. The interstate part was at 75mph.
On this run in the past I have averaged around 31.5mpg.
This trip I averaged 30mpg.
Only one data point but it was a slight drop.
I can live with it as the summer tires give such a solid grip in high speed interstate turns. Wife felt I was taking turns too fast but there is no reason to lift as the car is not even phased by turns now. :D
Try some summer tires if you can and lighter wheels, as they help the feel and handling of the car.