GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rubbing noise after vwr install

chebaroony

Passed Driver's Ed
I've realised that an annoying noise after my install is the plastic gators covering the front strut inserts , when you think about it its obvious , now that the car sits lower these gators are now too long and are compressed too much causing them to rub on themselves . Must get a solution as it's pissing me right off

White Baron

Passed Driver's Ed
I've realised that an annoying noise after my install is the plastic gators covering the front strut inserts , when you think about it its obvious , now that the car sits lower these gators are now too long and are compressed too much causing them to rub on themselves . Must get a solution as it's pissing me right off

Now you've done it!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
installing springs this week. You advise cutting down those guards before reinstallation?

chebaroony

Passed Driver's Ed
installing springs this week. You advise cutting down those guards before reinstallation?

Hi , to be honest no I don't recommend cutting them down at all , but this annoying rubbing sound is definitely coming from my gators as I've lubricated them and the noise dissappears for a few days but comes back , I've never heard of anyone cutting them down and wouldn't do it myself , just saying where the noise is .
Good luck with the install

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Shouldn't be any "rubbing"
The boot ("gator") is accordion style plastic and should just fold/collapse on top of itself without making noise.
Assuming it's snapped into the strut bearing properly, of course

chebaroony

Passed Driver's Ed
Shouldn't be any "rubbing"
The boot ("gator") is accordion style plastic and should just fold/collapse on top of itself without making noise.
Assuming it's snapped into the strut bearing properly, of course

I don't understand it because if I lubricate it the noise goes away but always comes back, looks like I'm gonna have to get the strut out and investigate