GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RMS Leaking Again

nate704

Go Kart Champion
- Dealer replaced the RMS
- RMS leaks again right away
- Dealer replaced PCV system with revised version, (06K-103-495-BM) and performed dye test (RMS still leaks)
- Dealer is replacing the RMS again with iABED RMS kit.
- Also, I requested that I will be able to watch/inspect the installation of the new one, and they said no problem.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
^^^ Yes. It's a tough job and good techs are extremely under appreciated and compensated IME.

"Flat Rate" = a specific amount of time/compensation to complete a repair. If you get it done sooner you can start the next repair sooner and make more money. If you're slow or more commonly the repair has complications - rust, dirt or other issues, then you don't make as much money that day/week because you only get paid the flat rate for the job no matter how long you take. Better dealerships place their top techs on salary but not many do this IME.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've known a few dealership mechanics who were making over a 100K on flat rate compensation.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Did you really need two threads on this one issue?

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
I've known a few dealership mechanics who were making over a 100K on flat rate compensation.

God bless 'em. I haven't heard of any techs making that kind of money. I hope the work quality was good... That's a lot of brake jobs, tune-ups and oil changes per week. ;)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
God bless 'em. I haven't heard of any techs making that kind of money. I hope the work quality was good... That's a lot of brake jobs, tune-ups and oil changes per week. ;)

No clue if their work was quality. They were friends before I moved and it was a Ford dealership and since I didn't have a Ford I never went there.