GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ripped foglight connection

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Was taking off my bumper and it slipped before I had a chance to disconnect the fog light connection. Do I need to replace the entire harness or is there a way to replace just the end?

Attachments

• 99662790-CFB9-4036-8816-50D7E106E6A5.jpeg
    99662790-CFB9-4036-8816-50D7E106E6A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 284A80FD-A6A5-4FAF-BDF5-33C2A814E91E.jpeg
    284A80FD-A6A5-4FAF-BDF5-33C2A814E91E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
I was able to pop the connector open and it looks like I should be able to order this part and just press the pins back in to the new connection right?

Edit: looking further it looks like the bare wires have a yellow sleeve on each, I'm guessing that was originally part of the block but ripped out. Would I just strip some fresh section of wire, feed it into the new connector block and then the purple piece on the side presses down and locks it in?

Attachments

• 712F1934-DD0C-4A06-87AD-19ECE997BB82.jpeg
    712F1934-DD0C-4A06-87AD-19ECE997BB82.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • D7D0A4F8-92CD-49FD-BEA1-FBF60A26FA7B.jpeg
    D7D0A4F8-92CD-49FD-BEA1-FBF60A26FA7B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The metal crimp connections on the wires might have a little barb on the back side to help lock them into place. However, as that connector has a purple/pink lock sleeve I think not.

Basically if the wires/metal connectors & waterproof yellow sleeves on the wires look ok, just get a new connector....& its just a push fit & then you have to slide the purple/pink bit in one direction to lock the wires into the connector..

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Sorry but the pins broke off. The MCON 1.2 sealed terminals should look like this
1634722861727.png

If you don't have the crimp tool just get a plug from a scrapped car with a couple of inches of wire on. Solder the existing wire to it.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Sorry but the pins broke off. The MCON 1.2 sealed terminals should look like this
View attachment 228403
If you don't have the crimp tool just get a plug from a scrapped car with a couple of inches of wire on. Solder the existing wire to it.
Isn’t that piece built into the connector? If I buy a new connector I can just insert the bare wires into it and lock it in right?

I saw a Wire repair kit that has the pin built in as well would I need this and then just solder to my two bare wires?

Attachments

• 1866ECA3-0D47-4263-85BE-C81183157A1A.jpeg
    1866ECA3-0D47-4263-85BE-C81183157A1A.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I did the same exact thing a few months ago. I have been meaning to order the plug and recrimp the wires and all of that. You happen to have a part number?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
"If I buy a new connector I can just insert the bare wires into it and lock it in right?" -> Unfortunately not. Bare wire and seal need to be crimped to terminal, then you can push them into the new connector.
1634738310552.png

1634738355012.png

"I saw a Wire repair kit that has the pin built in as well would I need this and then just solder to my two bare wires?" -> If you can find the correct repair wire then it would work

1634738627690.png

Found on ebay.de: GTI MK7 Fog light wire

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
"If I buy a new connector I can just insert the bare wires into it and lock it in right?" -> Unfortunately not. Bare wire and seal need to be crimped to terminal, then you can push them into the new connector.
View attachment 228420
View attachment 228421

"I saw a Wire repair kit that has the pin built in as well would I need this and then just solder to my two bare wires?" -> If you can find the correct repair wire then it would work

View attachment 228422
Found on ebay.de: GTI MK7 Fog light wire

Thanks, great info. I suppose buy this wire would not work then. It had the metal tab on the end but it looks like there are additional pieces of the overall terminal that are missing?

I was thinking I could just cut this wire in half, solder each end to my bare wire then push the metal tab into the new connector base?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...DRayio6izsU6ethieX4xLXR2TVx3RP-hoCqhUQAvD_BwE

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
That is the piece I need...and normally, you can get ends to crimp on the wires that will lock in the harness (D-sub pin or something close to that), so there shouldn't be a need to solder. You may even be able to back the wires w/ pins out using a very small screwdriver.

My pins are broken off inside the body so even if I get them off they are useless. I went ahead and just ordered this whole connector. I'm just going to connect the two wires to the two bare wires coming out of my harness on the chassis side and call it a day. I don't feel like piecing together all the connectors/pins/wires inside the connector. This way it will be plug and play hopefully.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
My pins are broken off inside the body so even if I get them off they are useless. I went ahead and just ordered this whole connector. I'm just going to connect the two wires to the two bare wires coming out of my harness on the chassis side and call it a day. I don't feel like piecing together all the connectors/pins/wires inside the connector. This way it will be plug and play hopefully.
Keep me posted

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Update: that eBay plug I bought worked well. I just connected the two wires from the car harness to the plug using connectors.

For some reason you need to match the red wire from the car harness with the black wire on the eBay plug. I tried red to red first and it didn’t work.

You’ll also need to transfer the plastic cover L shaped elbow onto the eBay I plug prior to connecting the wires together. There’s a tiny plastic clip on that piece you need to carefully pry up to remove the elbow from the broken connector to swap it to the new one.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Update: that eBay plug I bought worked well. I just connected the two wires from the car harness to the plug using connectors.

For some reason you need to match the red wire from the car harness with the black wire on the eBay plug. I tried red to red first and it didn’t work.

You’ll also need to transfer the plastic cover L shaped elbow onto the eBay I plug prior to connecting the wires together. There’s a tiny plastic clip on that piece you need to carefully pry up to remove the elbow from the broken connector to swap it to the new one.
That is excellent to hear. I am pretty sure I ordered the same one as you (the ebay link above) and I am going to get it knocked out tomorrow. What kind of connectors did you use? I ordered a shrink wrap kind off of Amazon that has a little ball of solder in the middle.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
That is excellent to hear. I am pretty sure I ordered the same one as you (the ebay link above) and I am going to get it knocked out tomorrow. What kind of connectors did you use? I ordered a shrink wrap kind off of Amazon that has a little ball of solder in the middle.

I ordered the same ones it waterproofs the connection and the solder holds it together. I then put the factory hard wire loom back around the connection and wrapped that with electrical tape