GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rinsing question

GTDave

Passed Driver's Ed
Happy New Year everyone,

Was just curious to know how people rinse off their cars, do you just hose/jetwash if down or do you use a clean mitt/sponge?

I wasn't sure if a hose was powerful enough to remove the cleaning product and thus needed a clean mitt/sponge to wash it down...

I personally use a power washer but its low pressure (but more powerful than a hose).

Cheers,

Dave

vwman

Go Kart Champion
My regime:

Foam application leave five minutes.
Power wash to remove.
Hand application of wash wax using two bucket method ( one containing wash wax other plain water to regularly rinse Lambswool mitt ) - never use sponges & I use a separate mitt for wheels.
Power wash to remove wash wax.
Then 'sheet rinse' using a hose without fittings which leaves less water to dry off.
Dry using Drying microfibre cloths - padding dry rather than dragging to reduce swirls.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ i would recommend leaving the foam on the paint as it is not only there to remove the dirt (which i understand you hosing the first layer of dirt off that the foam picked up) however more importantly the foam acts as another barrier between the mitt with suds between the paint, providing lubrication, PREVENTING swirl marks.

To the OP - rinse top down with as much force as you like and then take the nozzle off your hose and turn the water pressure down halfway, and then run the hose over the paint slowly; the water will carry itself away leaving a LOT of perfectly dry and clean paint. Look up 'water sheeting' on youtube.

GTDave

Passed Driver's Ed
Every day is a school day, that water sheeting idea sounds ideal, will give that a go this weekend, weather permitting!

Cheers

Dave

TwoLaneBlacktop

Passed Driver's Ed
My deep clean:

Pressure wash (water) from top to bottom

Switch attachments to soap dispenser and cover car

Wash from top to bottom using two bucket method (one bucket has soapy water and the other just water. Mit is rinsed in water only bucket after each section is washed)

Keep entire car wet until wash complete

Switch mits when down to wheels

Dry car with leaf blower to avoid scratching clear coat, spots, and water hiding in crevices

1 or 2 passes of polish using porter cable and chemical guys polish

Hand wax

Light clean:

Pressure wash (water only)

Dry with leaf blower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTDave

Passed Driver's Ed
Never thought of using my leaf blower as a mechanism to dry the car....might give that a go :)

TwoLaneBlacktop

Passed Driver's Ed
Never thought of using my leaf blower as a mechanism to dry the car....might give that a go :)

I highly recommend it.

cramwell

My deep clean:

Wash from top to bottom using two bucket method (one bucket has soapy water and the other just water. Mit is rinsed in water only bucket after each section is washed)

Dry car with leaf blower to avoid scratching clear coat, spots, and water hiding in crevices

Hand wax

Light clean:

Dry with leaf blower

Love the leaf blower trick! Your neighbours must give you some bemused looks!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Love the leaf blower trick! Your neighbours must give you some bemused looks!

Chemical Guys have a car blower made just for this use.
Smaller so it is light and with a rubber nozzle so "When" you hit the car it does not hurt. Not a very high cost either.

Last edited:

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
My deep clean:

Hand wax

Light clean:

Dry with leaf blower

Its actually advised to start with the wheels first, that way any chemicals you spray on them gets rinsed off the car on the first hose down.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i've always wanted one of those metrovac deals like sandman has.

I found leaf blowers to not be too effective and too bulky to work with; i use the air compressor with an attachment and its very effective at getting all the water out of the crevices, door handles, mirrors, grilles, wheels, etc. not great on large surfaces.

Must be said though that theres a risk of micro particles coming out of the compressors (leaf blowers too) and oil, but i've never had an issue doing it for 10 years on the same old rusty compressor.

ANOTHER real trick is using soft water for the final rinse and letting it air dry - soft water will not leave water spots, unless dust lands on the car while drying.

TwoLaneBlacktop

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine is electric and does a really good job. I don't know the output but I don't have to wipe the car after. Then again, I usually Polish and wax after so if there were any spots, they are long gone after my efforts.
Mr. Clean once sold a car wash kit that would dispense soap or filtered water depending on how the toggle switch was flipped on the unit. Was a cool system and was great for preventing water spots but they stopped making them.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
i've always wanted one of those metrovac deals like sandman has.

I found leaf blowers to not be too effective and too bulky to work with; i use the air compressor with an attachment and its very effective at getting all the water out of the crevices, door handles, mirrors, grilles, wheels, etc. not great on large surfaces.

Must be said though that theres a risk of micro particles coming out of the compressors (leaf blowers too) and oil, but i've never had an issue doing it for 10 years on the same old rusty compressor.

ANOTHER real trick is using soft water for the final rinse and letting it air dry - soft water will not leave water spots, unless dust lands on the car while drying.

You could add an intake filter on the car blower.
I have not looked into but there is a lip you could clamp one on if one found the right size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GTDave

Passed Driver's Ed
Somewhat embarrassing, but worth sharing...

Last weekend opted to try the leaf blower technique...

My leaf blower is a dual mode one which allows it to be changed to suck leaves and shred them into a bag....

I had not realised my wife had carried out the above activity during a dry(ish) day. The end result being me blowing tiny leaf pieces all over my freshly cleaned car...

Lesson learn't - make sure your leaf blower is clean!

Although I got to wash my car again, which is never a bad thing :)

Dave