GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of Ed's MK7 Headlight replicas

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
I'm 100% sure my bulbs are properly seated because I'm the one who did the complete install of my lights. Still doesn't make any sense as to why I cannot adjust my lights from left to right, etc....
I hear ya. Just saying what he told me lol. Email, he's good with responding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

GTI-TDI

So I just got these installed and they look amazing!

Did have 1 mishap - anyone know what that wire is on the driver side that is mounted to the metal bracket holding the headlight down? In fiddling with the metal bracket and windshield washer fluid filler, that wire came apart. The wire is attached to a ball that is enclosed in a plastic housing - looks like it may be for cruise control? I hope that flimsy wire doesn't go to the throttle body from the gas pedal...

I didn't try running the car or driving as it was getting late, but wanted to see if anyone knew what that wire is?

GTI-TDI

I know, I need pics. Will try posting if the description wasn't good enough.

And I guess I shouldn't have said "wire" so much as "cable". If that helps?

GTIOZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had mine for almost three weeks and so far I'm happy except for the fact that I have zero horizontal adjustment with these housings. It really doesn't bother me too much because the beam output on the lights is almost dead on from the box when it comes to the horizontal position.

And the best part is I have ZERO condensation issues unlike the Helix branded housings that showed me their true colors right after me installing them.

gtiusc

I recently purchased and installed Ed's hid headlights for the gti mk7. Here was my experience:

For some reason, i thought when you ordered the headlight with the HID kit, that the kit would come pre-installed and packed into the headlight in a tight package (ballast and all). But that wasn't the case. I had to install the ballast separately and figure out where to mount the ballast. No matter ... i probably misunderstood.

I opted to take the front bumper completely off to make the install easier. I would recommend to definitely have another set of hands to help you take the bumper off and re-install. I had my wife help me out.

The passenger side headlight went in smoothly - no issues. Fitment was perfect.

The driver side headlight was another story... for whatever reason, the headlight didn't fit perfectly There was some gaps and alignment issues, so it took a great deal of effort to get this side in. It still doesn't fit as well as the passenger side. The other thing that was really difficult was that on the driver side, there just is no room.

After getting everything installed - the lights work well enough, but I am noticing that there is are rotational errors to the beam pattern ... on both headlights. I can tell b/c the beam is not perfectly straight, but it bows on either end and there is a foreground to the beam pattern. I did some searching and looking at the pics of other folks who installed Ed's headlight and noticed the same thing in their photos. Wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I'm just the unlucky on...

Riveramichael17

Passed Driver's Ed
What's the best price anyone here has paid and Where? Do you recommend it to anyone? I thought I was going to get use to the halogen but i can't. How's the lighting at night and ive also heard complains about the projector being lose so when you hit a bump you see the lights jitter. That happened to me on my old car and it annoyed the crap out of me
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Has anyone wired up the cornering lights to come on with your high beams? Will a simple piggyback and autozone harness work? Or would I get a bulb error for voltage/amp draw? After driving out in the boonies a few times these past couple weeks I discovered the extra light to the sides would be helpful for animal spotting!

cooloregon

I recently purchased and installed Ed's hid headlights for the gti mk7. Here was my experience:

For some reason, i thought when you ordered the headlight with the HID kit, that the kit would come pre-installed and packed into the headlight in a tight package (ballast and all). But that wasn't the case. I had to install the ballast separately and figure out where to mount the ballast. No matter ... i probably misunderstood.

I opted to take the front bumper completely off to make the install easier. I would recommend to definitely have another set of hands to help you take the bumper off and re-install. I had my wife help me out.

The passenger side headlight went in smoothly - no issues. Fitment was perfect.

The driver side headlight was another story... for whatever reason, the headlight didn't fit perfectly There was some gaps and alignment issues, so it took a great deal of effort to get this side in. It still doesn't fit as well as the passenger side. The other thing that was really difficult was that on the driver side, there just is no room.

After getting everything installed - the lights work well enough, but I am noticing that there is are rotational errors to the beam pattern ... on both headlights. I can tell b/c the beam is not perfectly straight, but it bows on either end and there is a foreground to the beam pattern. I did some searching and looking at the pics of other folks who installed Ed's headlight and noticed the same thing in their photos. Wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I'm just the unlucky on...
Make sure that the metal tube on the bulbs is in the 6 o'clock position or you beam pattern will not be correct.

Greyed_A_MK7

I get a light out error like 80 percent of the time when my switch is left on auto but if I turn the light on after the car is on i never get the error. Very weird and don't know what's wrong. Any ideas? Pretty much has been that way since I got them. For a year now.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people are having issues with the jittering. I am primarily getting the lights to replace the unsightly Halogen housings, has anyone had experiences with the HID jittering or the lights with just H7 halogen bulbs?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Going through this thread, it seems like a lot of people are having issues with the jittering. I am primarily getting the lights to replace the unsightly Halogen housings, has anyone had experiences with the HID jittering or the lights with just H7 halogen bulbs?

They jitter. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it besides putting a Halogen bulb in them, making the jittering less noticeable.