GOLFMKV

REV9 Intercooler

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I'm enjoying the variance in fin spacing. I love that they stretched the top row, since they had some extra space in there.

Some new technological breakthrough (or voodoo), sparse on the front, dense on the back. The mullet of intercoolers.

Looking at the casting, I bet it weighs a little bit more than the competitors.

Based on how much effort goes into installing one of these, i'd stay away. far away. Not worth it for the pinhole you can't see that gets misdiagnosed as a faulty injector or o2 sensor down the road...

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
In my personal experience and what I've seen, ebay intercoolers typically work really well. You can run into fitment issues though. On one of the ebay sale posts it shows 31 sold. So who will come out of the closet and show some logs?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Lol I'd install one and log it if it was given to me, but I don't think I'd buy it.

I've got a CX Racing in my 3000GT and the core is great, but the piping was a bitch. I didn't expect much for $500 though. Best part was when a charge pipe came loose in the canyon lol. Luckily I was able to limp home still.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Lol I'd install one and log it if it was given to me, but I don't think I'd buy it.

I've got a CX Racing in my 3000GT and the core is great, but the piping was a bitch. I didn't expect much for $500 though. Best part was when a charge pipe came loose in the canyon lol. Luckily I was able to limp home still.

I used a universal cxracing core on my FOST and it pretty much performed the same as the ATP/Garrett fmic I used before it. I than used another small brand fmic "Depo" and it outperformed both due to it being bigger. I got bored and times and just swapped out FMIC for no real reason but it was a much easier job on the FOST.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
In my personal experience and what I've seen, ebay intercoolers typically work really well. You can run into fitment issues though. On one of the ebay sale posts it shows 31 sold. So who will come out of the closet and show some logs?

Ebay intercoolers work well when the stock intercooler is shit. Luckily for us ours is actually really solid all things considered.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Considering the main issue with intercooler swaps on this car is the install, not the price of the intercoolers, I'd go for a well known brand.

nkresho,
Loved your commentary!

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Lol. I'm sure it works much better than stock oem one. 410 shipped.

It's your choice to spend your money the way YOU want to. My 154 shipped dp works/fits just as well as the 1000 one. Most of you think paying big label prices is justified. Enjoy.

Golf R intercooler no brainer for IS38 upgrade!

Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'd actually skip the golf R intercooler. It's barely any increase in efficiency over the GTI one and hardly an upgrade. (about 10%) Once again, the cost isn't an issue. It's the install. You only want to ever do the install once. [it's pretty miserable compared to a DP]

And I don't think it's a big label vs knockoff issue here. You can actually see the poor design in the photos they display of the revo intercooler. I also assume that is the absolute best example they could find, and actual ones may be worse.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
On this forum a guy pulled some data showing R is 616 cubic inches versus GTI 493. That is 20% better btw. 220 shipped. Again, good value.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm leaning towards a FMIC myself due to the difficulty of install with the stock location intercoolers. Even though the FMICs that our out in the market doesn't have a huge increase in volume compared to stock, it seems to do a better job in cooling.

m00se

Ready to race!
I'm leaning towards a FMIC myself due to the difficulty of install with the stock location intercoolers. Even though the FMICs that our out in the market doesn't have a huge increase in volume compared to stock, it seems to do a better job in cooling.

FMIC don't need as much volume because the delta T is much greater than the stock mount position, hence higher efficiency per mass.