GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations for upgraded rotors on stock calipers?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
My stock rotors are just about kaput, after two days at the track and 15k miles. Trying to find a upgraded set that are at least grooved/slotted for an improvement at the track. Already have ECB yellow stuff pads which helped a lot.

Any ideas? Experience?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
I should add Im not looking to get a extra second or two out of my car, I just want higher safety margin and more longevity. The yellow stuff pads did exactly that.

BostonDriver

I would go for a good 2 piece rotor. The weight savings will be noticeable and the heat dissipation will be much better with the aluminum hats so that will also help on the track. I know ECS makes the stock size in two piece, but I'm pretty sure I've seen other companies that offer them as well. I've used the ECS rotors in the past and wasn't impressed. Got slight vibration after first hard use. Used wilwood on my last vehicle for numerous track days and hey held up awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I found it never seemed to matter what rotor you used on the track. (though never used a 2 piece). DBA, slotted, blank. Either way the track pads are going to eat them for lunch. I usually just looked to package deals that included stock rotors when I ordered replacement track pads. Then I'd swap back to stock pads and rotors when I got home, keeping the two separate.

Sure the car sounded like a garbage truck every time you stopped on the way home, but that is part of the fun! :)

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Im open to two-piece. The ECS are made in China, or Taiwan..so thats not an option for me. Emanuele design are made in the USA and aren't too expensive but idk anything about the brand..

I would rather go with Brembo, or EBC etc because I know they were designed, tested and built to certain standards. The problem is I can't find 340x30 from either brand...

Are the Audi S3 brake rotors exactly the same?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Slotted, dimpled or drilled rotors make no difference on a street car being tracked.

I find this very hard to believe..the grooves help keep the pad clean and prevent build up. Care to share where you are getting the information from?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Just to be clear, I'm not asking if they work or what style of rotor is 'best.' Just trying to find a grooved rotor that is an upgrade from stock made by a reputable brand. My oem rotors are shot after two days at the track, theres certainly room for improvement.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
I find this very hard to believe..the grooves help keep the pad clean and prevent build up. Care to share where you are getting the information from?

Vented disc are great for heat rejection. They offer the most surface area so better braking ultimately.

Slotted/drilled rotors can aid in moving debris away from the rotor, and potentially adding a biting surface for the pad to contact (but pretty much an unproven theory). They create uneven surface heat so are more prone to cracking.

I would look for a two piece to save weight which you will feel and keep the disc flat, using some good pads.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Rotors may last the life of the car on the street, but are consumables for a car used on the track. OE rotors are cheap at about $170 a pair. My Stoptech rotors last about 6 events on my M3, but cost $650 to replace. If you can get three events out of a set of stock rotors, consider it a bargain.

Definitely stay away from drilled rotors, and even the slots aren't really needed with most pad compounds these days, as they don't offgas nearly like older compounds did.

Pads that are truly trackworthy tend to be very abrasive when cold, and will eat rotors if used on the street, hence the need to swap pads and rotors for track days.

I agree on very most of the above mentioned. It's the (ideally directional) vanes
making the difference. Look at Porsche brake rotors. Some are drilled, some even
slotted (Panamera), some are plain. But they're all directionally vented + they've
some kind of air guide to complement proper cooling + they're appropriately sized.
That's why they are actually that good.

;)

BostonDriver

Slotted, dimpled or drilled rotors make no difference on a street car being tracked.

I wouldn't say there's no difference... I can't say I noticed a difference on the track but on the street slotted, dimples or drilled definitely help in the rain. No more of that oh crap split second feeeling when you really need the brakes and it feels like nothing is there. Driving around Boston you tend to need that fraction of a second...

Otherwise, for track use I would stay away from drilled for potential cracking/warping reasons. Drilled or slotted have been fine in my experience. The main thing a more track oriented rotor provides is in the metallurgy used. Typically more iron is used which provides higher friction and therefore more stopping power with less pedal pressure/time. More work done in a shorter amount of time means more time to cool the brakes. And speaking of cooling, good aftermarket rotors have better cooling vane design between the rotor surfaces that helps with airflow. Lastly, 2 piece design helps dissipate heat much better since you don't have that huge steel mass in the center to get heat soaked.

I found these rotors which have good claims but haven't heard much from any users.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece-rotor-Slot-VW-Golf-R-Front-Surface-M-p/2299.htm

BostonDriver

Also, for those looking for a trackable pad that won't make a ton of noise, dust and sound like a garbage truck coming to a stop, check out the FERODO DS2500. I found them to be the best compromise for street and track since they retain good bite when cold and withstand track abuse without eating your rotors. There's other pads with me re stopping power but expect them to be very dusty and and eat the rotors fairly quick. I ruined the finish on a set of wheels running a primarily track oriented carbotech pad (I forget which one it was without checking my notes). The stopping power was unreal, but my rotors were gone after 2 trackdays and the wheels were so loaded with debris I had to have them blasted and refinished.