GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations for an OBD diagnostics tool

Banzai62

Car(s)
VW Golf Mk7 1.4tsi
Hi All,
Before my next MOT I need to replace the front/rear discs and pads and although I'm happy doing the mechanical work I can see I need to retract the e-brake piston before doing the job.
Seems this needs an OBD diagnostic tool but as I'm new to working on modern vehicles and I'm not sure what to buy.
Can someone please steer me in the direction of a suitable piece of kit that I can link to either laptop, android tablet or ios?
I'm UK based if that matters.
Thanks in advance. Rob.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
OBDEleven Or Carly. Most likely someone may be close to you that have one and can lend it to you for some Beer Tokens. Both of them will work off a cheap Android phone best.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I have both and find myself mostly just using OBDeleven for the convenience. The only thing I hate more than VCDS is the logging but it works just fine otherwise.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
The VCDS community in general actually knows what they're doing. It's been around forever. It's a professional tool that actual techs can use.

It's my anecdotal observation that the OBD11 crowd is moreso attracted to the easy one button push coding type stuff, even though sometimes it doesn't do what is actually intended etc. Also fuck their subscription model (which you need to do any coding from what I understand). I'll give it that it looks convenient in general, but that can be a blessing and a curse when you're just looking for new "problems" that may or may not exist.

I have Simos Tools for actual ECU and DSG logging which is way better than anything else available. And cheaper too (free Android app + $80 dongle).

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
I use ODIS-E/S or iDeX (genuine vas), VCDS (genuine) and an OBD11.

I use all 3 almost daily. If I had to choose one, I'd go for OBD11 tbh. Why? Well..
It's cheaper (don't use credits), more portable (no laptop needed) and integrated SFD unlock for newer VAGs.
But please, don't use the apps! You don't know what they are doing and mess things up sometimes.
And you can use it for BMW as well.. .. Not.. Well, you can, but the app sucks (even more), very limited.

VCDS
+ More knowledge on the forums
+ Better support
+ Quality product
+ 'Fast'
- No integrated SFD unlock
- Mobile app sucks, so need a laptop

VAS5054A
+ Genuine VAG
+ You can flash datasets, firmwares, etc..
+ Online connection with ODIS could be made if necessary
+ Use it as passthru for other programs (Xentry (Benz) as an example)
- Laptop

OBD11
+ Portable
+ Integrated SFD unlock
- If you are used to VCDS, it's kinda.. meh..

dvw.r

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Also fuck their subscription model (which you need to do any coding from what I understand). I'll give it that it looks convenient in general, but that can be a blessing and a curse when you're just looking for new "problems" that may or may not exist.
Must admit, the way obdeleven has moved to an annual subscription to enable long coding drops it's appeal a bit. I'm luckily grandfathered in with a lifetime pro account; it works for everything I've need it for.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
The VCDS community in general actually knows what they're doing. It's been around forever. It's a professional tool that actual techs can use.

It's my anecdotal observation that the OBD11 crowd is moreso attracted to the easy one button push coding type stuff, even though sometimes it doesn't do what is actually intended etc. Also fuck their subscription model (which you need to do any coding from what I understand). I'll give it that it looks convenient in general, but that can be a blessing and a curse when you're just looking for new "problems" that may or may not exist.

I have Simos Tools for actual ECU and DSG logging which is way better than anything else available. And cheaper too (free Android app + $80 dongle).

Wow they have a subscription now? I got mine like 6-7 years ago I don't pay anything.

Also tbh I never use the credits I have hundreds of them, you can still go in and manually change coding to perform the "one-click" options like in VCDS you're not limited in what you can do if you don't have credits. (unless that's changed than that really sucks)