GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rallycrossed the R! And to those who think Halex is all FWD.......

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
So I was convinced by a friend to do some rallycross on a frozen lake, and do some ice racing! I paid the $70 and got a car number and was assigned to the AWD class and went around a very narrow and windy track as fast as I could and for my first time, I did awesome! My tires were not studded and my friend in his modified 2006 Subaru STI, were studded, so his lap times were about a 1:30, while mine were 1:50, but from what I heard(haven't seen the results yet), I did post the fastest lap time in my class of AWD non-studded cars, which I think is darn impressive, given that this is my first time, and I went up against modified Evo's, STI's, and the sort. And to those who think Haldex is all front wheel biased, and the rear wheels are barely involved, watch the bottom clip. That is my car launching on my 3rd or 4th lap, uploaded by my friend.

Overlooking Ghost Lake

SO MUCH RICE! I was the only Volkswagen, apart from a Mk4 Jetta Diesel

So photogenic even covered in snow!

This lap I screwed up badly and went too far into the 'wall'.

Yeah......:eek:

And the Launch Video Clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEA9G5y6RPo&list=LLvoc4-tl75spaP5jKmgK7VA&index=1

Last edited:

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, this is really cool :D! I auto x'd my R and loved it, I'm a little jealous that you got to take yours off-road in the snow. As for the rear wheel spin, the Haldex is maximum 50/50 torque split and given that the weight is over the front tires, I'd expect that the back ones have a bit less resistance, therefore they spin more with the same amount of torque applied. Pretty cool to see it in slow motion though ;)

edge04

Ready to race!
few events like this in the Midwest but no snow right now. sucks as snow cross is fun and I'm dying to do it in the R

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Nice video of the Haldex in action! Looks like a you had a blast by the looks of that last picture :p

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
NICE!! What tires and wheels are you running, and did you have the TC partially or fully off?

Is the video in slow motion?

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
That is awesome!! I love that color on the R. Even though my wagon is FWD, I'd love to find somewhere in NY that does something like this.

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
Nice video of the Haldex in action! Looks like a you had a blast by the looks of that last picture :p

At the time of me driving into that snow, I was scared I was going to get stuck but I was out of it far enough that I held momentum. Whole event was a blast, but it was super cold, so when I wasn't racing, and the 2WD cars were on, the AWD guys had to go out on the track and marshall, making sure the cones weren't knocked over, reporting incidents, etc, so we were out in -20 for about 2 hours at a time, but thankfully the R warms up fast!

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
NICE!! What tires and wheels are you running, and did you have the TC partially or fully off?

Is the video in slow motion?

Yes it's slo mo. Tires are a cheap Chinese company. The brand and model are Sailun Ice Blazer WST1. The wheels I have no clue, just forged aluminum 18" alloys. The tires I was a bit weary on since I've never heard of Sailun, and I know how cheap Chinese products go, but I looked at reviews and got some advice and people say bang for the buck, they're the best tire. So I wanted to give them a shot. I've had Blizzacks for years and was tired of paying soooo much money and you know what? On the ice, there was 0 difference in grip. I'm so impressed with Sailun. I'm a return customer for sure!

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
If you head out there again give me a shout, I've always wanted to go to Ghost Lake.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Looks like a lot of fun!

You should be in a VW commercial.