GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Race mode makes the gas pedal too touchy

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hello folks,
I am referring to the individual setting for [shoot, I forgot "drive system"?] under the custom settings for mode that refers to the engine / gas pedal only, not suspension or other things. With the "race" setting the pedal is more responsive (less lag) than "normal" but it also puts all the throttle into the first part of the pedal stroke. So it's a little difficult to control the gas and also the last 2/3 of the pedal doesn't do much. The "normal" mode, even though more laggy, at least makes more use of the pedal range. Is there a setting somewhere that can make the gas pedal more "linear" again? Sort of like an anti-pedal box. Also if there are other settings that make the car stop messing with the throttle, let me know. For example, it still has a bit of "rev hang".
The only settings I have changed from stock are "rough road optimization: off" and that other setting about "direct" instead of "incremental".

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I drive in Sport mode most of the time and I don't notice this behavior. But maybe I just got used to it over the 5 years I've had the car. I don't recall feeling S was ultra touchy though so this does not sound right to me but can't offer any suggestions on resolving it.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Does "rough road optimization: off" even do anything useful on stock R's?
rough road optimization ON will help filter out false misfires that are actually just bumps in RPM from wheelspin on loose surfaces. turned off you just get more phantom misfires.

excerpts from ecu documentation:

1710556825137.png

1710556884585.png

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
rough road optimization ON will help filter out false misfires that are actually just bumps in RPM from wheelspin on loose surfaces. turned off you just get more phantom misfires.

excerpts from ecu documentation:

View attachment 300914

View attachment 300915

I'm stock and never had any wheelspin, even in pouring rain with my Michelin PS4S tires. I even revved to 2K and still had no wheelspin, even with LC activated, and I do have the pedal tweak. The most I ever get is a rare, slight chirp when taking off from a driveway ramp. What you might be experiencing is the pedal being more responsive because the idle goes up to about 1100 RPM in sport mode.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm stock and never had any wheelspin, even in pouring rain with my Michelin PS4S tires. I even revved to 2K and still had no wheelspin, even with LC activated, and I do have the pedal tweak. The most I ever get is a rare, slight chirp when taking off from a driveway ramp. What you might be experiencing is the pedal being more responsive because the idle goes up to about 1100 RPM in sport mode.
uh, no, those are separate things

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
To be fair, PS4S tires are amazingly good in the rain, for a performance summer tire.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
To be fair, PS4S tires are amazingly good in the rain, for a performance summer tire.

Rain traction was the only reason I bought them. When it rains here, it might not last long, but it comes down hard. I was so impressed with the tires I replaced them with another set late last year. They were under $400 per tire installed at a local tire chain. Two things I don't skimp on are tires and brakes, what with all of the old people here who can't drive worth a crap.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Rain traction was the only reason I bought them. When it rains here, it might not last long, but it comes down hard. I was so impressed with the tires I replaced them with another set late last year. They were under $400 per tire installed at a local tire chain. Two things I don't skimp on are tires and brakes, what with all of the old people here who can't drive worth a crap.
And I thought that they were all driving around in golf carts.