GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R8 red top coilpacks on a Mk7 Golf R (or GTI)

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Has anyone put these on a Mk7 R or GTI? Also does anyone know if they affect the Mk7s as the did the MkVI. I have a set from my MkVI GTI still and was wondering if I should throw them in or if it could do more harm than good. Or if with a tune it will be good. Anyway any feedback would be appreciated. Personal experience even more appreciated.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
I don't know enough to be the last word on this. I'm sure someone else will weigh in.

That said, at anything near stock power and boost unless your plugs are showing signs and the gap is correct I don't see this as a limiting factor. If you do see indicators that you have insufficient spark and a mild gap adjustment does not help you could try a higher energy coil. From what I have read second-hand the stock coils are supporting higher boost on a stock turbo without issue. I don't think changing to higher output coils would hurt anything, they just light off whatever is in the chamber at the time.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The reason why people with MK5 and MK6 GTIs and Rs went to R8 coils was for durability. The OEM coils used to fail left and right and were the source of many misfiring problems and CELs.

I have yet to hear of similar problems with the MK7, so maybe VW switched suppliers or the improved thermal management on the Gen 3 engine keeps the coils from frying.

I see no benefit in switching, and remember APR advising against it because of different electrical characteristics (higher current draw or resistance, don't recall).

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Good info.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Thanks for the info. I hadn't pulled off my engine cover to look. Kinda stupid move, but oh well. Hopefully others can benefit from the knowledge my stupidity has gained. Lol.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Pretty sure the only difference between red and black top coil packs was the paint color. Never heard of the red top ones being more durable, just looked cool.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The 2.0T coils were available with both black and red tops (the latter were used on some Audi models).

However, the Audi R8 coils could also be used, and had a red top. They had different electrical properties and were more durable than the coils for the 2.0T.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Yes the actual R8 coils were better on the MkVI 2.0t. I did buy some 2.0t coils for my 2004.5 MkIV 1.8t GLI and had the option for red or black. I had purchased some adaptors from Integrated Engineering for them and everything worked quite well. They actually made a difference with the stage 1 tuning. I did feel it after I put them in. Quicker response and spool time.

Chimeric

Ready to race!
R8 had better ignition properties than the stock MK6 R coils.
IIRC oem 3ohm, R8 5ohm, Okada 6 ohm...
But,the R8s don't fit on our cars. Curious to know the ohm rating of our new coild vs R8's.

You won't notice any difference on a normal running car, if you do, then you're God's chosen one.