GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R1 Concepts Rotors??

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Brakes on a 2021? How many miles have you racked up(shouldn't need anything till around 40K)? Performance pack size or standard?

Spend the extra 70 buck for piece of mind(FCP is a reputable company)...haven't heard of R1 concept until today. I assume the are purchasing there stuff from an Chinese OEM(granting ecs does the same thing) and rebranding with their name, Some parts are good, other suck...roll the dice.

Zimmerman is quality. EBC reds are MEH, for a daily, but aren't great. There are performing options for less money.

You can look at brake parts kits at ECStuning.com and shopdap.com as well.

If you do run into an issue and have to return shopdap,fcp, and ecs are a known quantity...R1 could be a dude in this mom's basement drop shipping parts and the hassle if you do have an issues is not worth the 70-100 bucks you saved.

Again R1 may be good, but I don't have any experience...hopefully others do.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've run plenty of R1 Concepts rotors. I'll probably buy another set for the R in the near future. They're fine for daily driving if you want something that looks cool. The GEOMET coating isn't an R1 specific thing, that's the same coating that's on those Zimmermans and many others. That's what gives them that dull gray look vs. the standard zinc coating. Not a fan of their pads though. I think you can do better for the price.

EBC pads are a bit overrated IMO. Some people say they're fine, some people say they're junk. I say unless you have a very specific need for them, you don't need $200+ pads for a daily driver car. You can get a set of Powerstop Z23 ceramic pads for about $80 for all for corners, and work great.

Jaer

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
R1's are pretty decent sized company, I ran them on my old daily driver, the rotors are pretty solid, but I'd skip on the pads, I wasn't a fan on the pads, I know many others who used R1 for other cars and I don't think there were any real complaints on the rotors (as someone mentioned pads seem to be hit or miss).