GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R is misfiring and dealer won't do sh*t!

usa939

Dreaded Engine Misfire in my 17 R

Going to revive this thread. My 17 R has been back to the dealership twice for low speed engine misfires (I cleared the first code @ home with 100 miles on the odometer). I now have about 1300 miles on the car. Dealership says,"VWOA is aware and are working on a software fix. Time to fix is unknown - probably a few months.". IMHO, this is BS for a new car, let alone one that costs 40k. Picking my car up tonight, will post more details. :mad:

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Going to revive this thread. My 17 R has been back to the dealership twice for low speed engine misfires (I cleared the first code @ home with 100 miles on the odometer). I now have about 1300 miles on the car. Dealership says,"VWOA is aware and are working on a software fix. Time to fix is unknown - probably a few months.". IMHO, this is BS for a new car, let alone one that costs 40k. Picking my car up tonight, will post more details. :mad:

I agree, it's not acceptable. But then, go read the threads for $60k plus Mercedes, BMW, and Audi cars. Same issues, if not more; it's bad enough spending $40k on a car and having issues, imagine the poor sod who spent half again as much or more and is having the same sort of crap.

Particularly galling for me are the reports of Mercedes C43 AMG owners (a car I would love to have eventually) about rattles and poor interior fit and finish quality. My freakin' R is built like a German bank vault and has zero rattles or buzzes. I'd expect if I paid a premium for a three-pointed star I'd get no less, but apparently...not so much.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Why were you driving at 1800 RPM in 3rd? Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious. That sounds like under-revving/lugging to me.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Why were you driving at 1800 RPM in 3rd? Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious. That sounds like under-revving/lugging to me.

1,800 isn't lugging this engine. I'd say 1,000-1,300 would be lugging if your giving it a decent amount of load, but those are just arbitrary #'s anyway.

Hell, I start out in first gear at like 1,300 and don't feel like I'm lugging the engine. If you follow the "think Blue Trainer" you may feel like you're lugging the engine. That thing prompts me to shift around 1,800 RPM I think. I'll have to look next time.

QAMB

Calgary hey? What dealership? I have had different experiences with different VW dealers when I have taken in my MK6 GTI when I was having issues.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Just going off of how it feels in my car. 1800 in 3rd feels like it bogs a little to me.

Anyways, did the dealer say if it was a clogged injector or a failed one? What kind of gas do you regularly use?

sng

So I recently had my car back to the dealership for P0304 misfire Cylinder 4 a couple times. First time the tech swapped plugs and coil from 4 to 1. Misfire stay on Cylinder 4. Dealership called and said VW told them it is a software issue but do not know when the fix will be available. I saw that people on here were told the same thing a while back. Any update? I highly doubt any "software fix" is coming our way. Dealership told me when the code pops just clear it and keep driving :(

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Dealership told me when the code pops just clear it and keep driving :(

:mad: i can't stand this shit. you paid 40K for a fucking golf and this is how they treat you?! Best of luck man that's so annoying.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Now I see it's only during cold startup. Somehow I never noticed it from when I first owned the car. I actually think it's cool. Sounds like a lope.

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
So I recently had my car back to the dealership for P0304 misfire Cylinder 4 a couple times. First time the tech swapped plugs and coil from 4 to 1. Misfire stay on Cylinder 4. Dealership called and said VW told them it is a software issue but do not know when the fix will be available. I saw that people on here were told the same thing a while back. Any update? I highly doubt any "software fix" is coming our way. Dealership told me when the code pops just clear it and keep driving :(

Maybe you just have a faulty coil? Have you tried just replacing the coil packs?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
right or just selling the euro motor here like they should have from the begiining

money talks. They'd cost another ~1K if they came with MPI (which, I would have been totally okay with paying, but that'd make the cars less attractive to the average consumer, which is who VW cares about, not us)