GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick question.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
Who dictates the price of gas @ the local level? Exxon Mobil? or the Gas station Owner? Basically, does exxon say you must sell it for at least X.XX amount. Anything over is the gso's?

I know many factors go into determining the cost of a gallon. I guess my main question would be, is the Gas station owner one of the factors?

Example, (i chose random prices btw) You have Exxon on one corner who charges 3.30 per gallon & Getty on the opposite corner (same side of the street) (location is a factor, which i want to keep as constant as possible) charging 3.29. Can the Exxon Mobil owner, lower his price to 3.28 w/o consulting Exxon?

I know the oil market is tricky, i just want to know if the Gas station owner has even the SMALLEST say in the cost per gallon.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
I am pretty sure the owner controls the prices to make money. I know the gas companies charge the owner a certain amount per truck but the owner can set the price. One gas station by my house actually tried boycotting when gas was so high but eventually he lost all his money. There is another one by me that is strictly gas, no food/water/soda/cigarettes/anything. They are about 15 cents cheaper then any place around because they sell it cheap enough just to pay for bills.

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure every owner can set his own price. It's just like anything else really, he buys it for a certain amount and sets his own price according to how much profit he wants.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
Thats what i thought.
A buddy of mine and I were arguing about this over lunch today, as we passed a gas station that was charging 3.77 for premium. & i paid 3.29 @ another getty 3 miles away.

Now i need to find proof :wink:

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
Thats what i thought.
A buddy of mine and I were arguing about this over lunch today, as we passed a gas station that was charging 3.77 for premium. & i paid 3.29 @ another getty 3 miles away.

Now i need to find proof :wink:

WOW! Premium by me is 2.98 at Mobile, cheaper at other places. Then again I am out in BUFU though.

07vw

2007 jetta
technically speaking, the demand for gas is low (for reasons such as people buying smaller cars recently with the previous higher prices, people carpooling, etc..)... and the supply is high. (at the time), and Exxon most likely sets a certain price, and each station's prices are based on competition, since that is what drives the economy. if one gas station has gas for $2.60/gal, the one down the street will want to sell its gas for $2.57 or whatever. I'm pretty sure, at least, haha.

edit: sorry if this isn't even what you were asking about.

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
technically speaking, the demand for gas is low (for reasons such as people buying smaller cars recently with the previous higher prices, people carpooling, etc..)... and the supply is high. (at the time), and Exxon most likely sets a certain price, and each station's prices are based on competition, since that is what drives the economy. if one gas station has gas for $2.60/gal, the one down the street will want to sell its gas for $2.57 or whatever. I'm pretty sure, at least, haha.

edit: sorry if this isn't even what you were asking about.

i think the other reason prices of fuel are going down is most of the investor speculation has died down...i believe the prices will continue to fall for a little while longer but then start to creep back up (although not back to the prices we were paying!)

kev24k

Go Kart Champion
Just so everyone knows the price of gas jumps up immediately as the price of oil does, but drops slower than a feather from space when the price of oil goes down. Its BS and a lot of people have complained.

Semparatus

3.2 Liters of Win
Car(s)
2008 BMP .:R32
2.40 for premium...