GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Liftgate mod recommendation ?

oyster

Car(s)
Golf Sportsvan
Thanks for pointing it. I also have Passat with a factory electric tailgate system. It has exactly the same battery, just one year older. I put the battery from Golf to Passat and the tailgate was working perfectly. On the other hand, the battery from Passat didn't solve the problem when installed in Golf... So it could be the car logic. Maybe connecting it to the diagnostic software would show where the problem is. It should see the tailgate system and maybe there is a way to allow it to work when the engine is off?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If the tailgate system is aftermarket (and not a retrofit) I'm not sure that standard diagnostic software will see it. Unless you are talking about diagnostic software provided by the manufacturer of the aftermarket system.

oyster

Car(s)
Golf Sportsvan
I don't quite understand what you mean by aftermarket/retrofit but Golf Sportsvan has never had any factory power tailgate system (there was no such option in the price list). So the one I have is a chinese additional equipment bought online. And I don't really know if the manufacturer provides any diagnostic software for end users. What I meant was that car logic may prevent the battery from discharging, but there are systems that are still on all the time (like alarm and locks) so maybe it would see this addition and it would be possible to add it to allowed equipment. When the car is locked and I try to open the tailgate remotely with a key, it reacts, the lamps flash, it starts to move but after 1-2 cm it stops.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I am following you...
Maybe connecting it to the diagnostic software would show where the problem is. It should see the tailgate system and maybe there is a way to allow it to work when the engine is off?
... Golf Sportsvan has never had any factory power tailgate system (there was no such option in the price list). So the one I have is a chinese additional equipment bought online...
Because of this I would not expect any diagnostic software to "see" the chinese module. A retrofit of factory option should show up. Even though the aftermarket module may send/receive commands on the CAN bus any diagnostic software (VCDS, OBDEleven, etc) would not know that it's there or how to "talk" to it.

oyster

Car(s)
Golf Sportsvan
In that case (if it doesn't know it's there) it should not stop it from working, I guess. I am worried about that friction between the struts and the car body. Unfortunately it's very hard to find someone with the same car make and model to compare them. I found a video on YT but the struts look different - the cable is very close to the car body, between the fixture and the rubber bumber while in my case it is rotated 180 degrees and protrudes. I tried to turn them but the fixtures won't allow it as it is the only way they fit.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
In that case (if it doesn't know it's there) it should not stop it from working, I guess.
That may not be the case. The aftermarket module is connected to Terminal 30 (battery) I assume so it can monitor voltages. At minimum it is able to read CAN bus messages, although I don't think it could work if it wasn't able to send messages as well. Battery voltage and received can messages can be used to stop it.

In fact it would be poor design if it did NOT monitor battery voltage. The last thing you want is the power lift draining the battery to where you can't start the car.

oyster

Car(s)
Golf Sportsvan
Hello. It's been a while but I am still struggling with the tailgate system. Recently I spent all day trying to figure out what was wrong and I came to surprising conclusions. When the car engine is off, the tailgate closes completely only when any car door is open but when all doors are closed, it won't close completely, i.e. it rests on the lock but it is not pulled by it. It looks like the air (pressure) in the car creates enough resistance to stop the tailgate from closing completely. And the tailgate usually opens by itself when I remove the warning triangle from the tailgate to make it lighter. But when I open and close it a few times, it stops opening by itself and I have to help it, lifting it a little after it starts moving. And now I am wondering if these are signs of bad struts or the battery. Because it is the struts that are resposible for lifting and pulling if the starting phase of opening and the final phase of closing.

Lori87Mi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
Hi guys, I'm also looking into making this modification.
I would like to better understand these steps taken from the manual.

1- To reach the CANBUS line under the plastic of the steering wheel, is it necessary to detach the steering wheel or how can the plastic trim column be removed?

2- in the manual it shows connections to the purple and green cables, I have a 2016 MK7, there it talks about CAN wires for 2019 models, so shouldn't I do it?

Thanks everyone in advance

1698130597088.png

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
If you haven't purchased yet, I found a different model of power hatch that connects into the car's wiring from the connector behind the HVAC panel. (Note that one is for the Variant - I'm sure they sell one for the normal Golf as well).
Alibaba seller (NOT Aliexpress). But process was much the same, just took a little longer until it shipped, but still arrived within a couple weeks this past summer.

With all of these, don't think you're going to get clear and detailed instructions....you gotta do a lot of figuring on your own (how to run wires, which wires go where). I planned to do a how-to write-up, but it's fallen down the to-do list, unfortunately. 🫤

Lori87Mi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
Hi, thanks for the information. I haven't bought anything yet

Alibaba seller provided me with the manual, step number 5, it looks like you shouldn't make a hole in the frame. Will it also be valid for the other kits?
There is a Note: CAN cable connection behind the Air Conditioning system

so it seems there are 2 types of kits?
1- in which to drill the hole in the trunk metal and which has the CAN connection under the steering wheel.
2- another kit that doesn't make holes but passes the cable through the original trunk rubber pillar hole and has the CAN connection behind the air conditioning system.

1698218264707.png
1698218283251.png

Last edited:

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
This kit did not require me to drill holes in the tailgate - I used the rubber stand-off that is near the taillight assembly and ran the wiring through there.
Hatch is open in this photo but you can see the location of where I ran the wiring from the power strut into the hatch.

SS.2023.10.25.094329.jpg

A previous kit (I ended up not using because it wouldn't pull the latch fully locked) suggested drilling into the metal, pictured below (and you can see the plug I put in that hole in the photo above). I much prefer the kit I got from Alibaba, pictured above.
SS.2023.10.25.094138.jpg

Lori87Mi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
so your kit doesn't need to make holes in the frame and the canbus is taken from the air conditioning?

on aliexpress and alibaba the chinese don't make anything clear from the ads. It's not clear what model of kit it is.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Yes, that is correct. My Alibaba kit (linked above) did not involve making any new holes in the car (apart from one small groove cut in the plastic divider that separates the side pocket from the spare tire well, which is where I placed the "suction close" power box.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
If you haven't purchased yet, I found a different model of power hatch that connects into the car's wiring from the connector behind the HVAC panel. (Note that one is for the Variant - I'm sure they sell one for the normal Golf as well).
Alibaba seller (NOT Aliexpress). But process was much the same, just took a little longer until it shipped, but still arrived within a couple weeks this past summer.

With all of these, don't think you're going to get clear and detailed instructions....you gotta do a lot of figuring on your own (how to run wires, which wires go where). I planned to do a how-to write-up, but it's fallen down the to-do list, unfortunately. 🫤
Would you kindly post the entire installation instructions? I really like how this kit doesn't require drilling, and I want to see where it wants to plug in behind the HVAC. Thank you.