GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor 1st to 2nd gear changes

MarcGTD

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTD
Anyone else notice that in a manual 1st to 2nd gear change is often a bit rough/stiffer/not as smooth (sometimes just crunches) as all the other gear changes? I had this on two gearboxes on my Mk5 GT TDI and now this GTD is exactly the same. Seems to be "a thing". Maybe 1st to 2nd is the biggest gear ratio to change?

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
2016 R; I noticed this in my car too. 1st to 2nd seems to be a bit tougher than any other gear change. Granted, I bought my car as a CPO so I have no clue how the previous owner treated it. I’ve been experimenting a bit with MT fluids to see which one I like the best. The OEM stuff seemed too thin for track use (of which I only occasionally indulge in 😅) so I purchased some Redline MTL 75W80 to fill this weekend.

I’m new to VWs, but my friend used to have a 2001 Passat that developed some synchro issues in 2nd - more so than all of his other gears. Can someone who is more familiar with VWs inform me if this is just a coincidence or does 2nd have a weaker synchro than most?

EDIT: Or maybe it’s just because 2nd is used more than any other?

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
2016 R; I noticed this in my car too. 1st to 2nd seems to be a bit tougher than any other gear change. Granted, I bought my car as a CPO so I have no clue how the previous owner treated it. I’ve been experimenting a bit with MT fluids to see which one I like the best. The OEM stuff seemed too thin for track use (of which I only occasionally indulge in 😅) so I purchased some Redline MTL 75W80 to fill this weekend.

I’m new to VWs, but my friend used to have a 2001 Passat that developed some synchro issues in 2nd - more so than all of his other gears. Can someone who is more familiar with VWs inform me if this is just a coincidence or does 2nd have a weaker synchro than most?

EDIT: Or maybe it’s just because 2nd is used more than any other?

The gearing on the Golf R is totally different to the GTI and Golfs though... Overall, its much shorter, but the gap between 1st and 2nd is basically the same. You just need to get the timing right, don't rush, there is almost a pause before you depress the clutch and time the rev match on to 2nd correctly...

Edit: Just so you get an idea, on the Golf R manual, redline on 6th gear is ~168mph.... On the GTI manual its about ~200mph and on the GTI DSG its 230mph...... wayyyyy too long. Golf R DSG is ~179mph
(Note the DSG numbers are with the old 6 speed DG250)

Last edited:

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
The gearing on the Golf R is totally different to the GTI and Golfs though... Overall, its much shorter, but the gap between 1st and 2nd is basically the same. You just need to get the timing right, don't rush, there is almost a pause before you depress the clutch and time the rev match on to 2nd correctly...

Edit: Just so you get an idea, on the Golf R manual, redline on 6th gear is ~168mph.... On the GTI manual its about ~200mph and on the GTI DSG its 230mph...... wayyyyy too long. Golf R DSG is ~179mph
(Note the DSG numbers are with the old 6 speed DG250)
Thanks. I am aware that the R has different gear ratios.

OP’s inquiry was more about rough/stiff gear changes into 2nd. I’m inclined to lean towards synchros being the cause as opposed to gearing, especially since I’m also experiencing slightly tougher shifts from 1st to 2nd in a car with different gearing.