GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Piano Black or Silver Mirror Caps?

Which mirror caps do you prefer?

• Total voters

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
So I've been noticing, and not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but has anyone noticed that when the official press release for the MKVII Golf R was released it featured silver (Brushed Aluminum) mirror caps but now several examples both in auto shows and personal vehicles are popping up with Piano Black mirror caps?

Does anyone know exactly why this is? Speculations? I found the silver mirror caps to be quite distinctive on the MKVII however they are a little Audi S/RSesque . I liked that the Piano Black mirror caps was starting to be identified with special VW models such as the R.

Anyone care? Thoughts? What would you chose if given the choice?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Default is silver but without any extra cost you can have them piano black in my country.

Since I have ordered a Limestone gray met. R with 19 “ Pretoria wheels (silver) I think silver cups will be fine since it matches. I haven’t thought about it before I read your tread :).

I don't know if they are bushed or matt painted but prefer brunched. If so very nice detail.

/Peter

Croc-Dundee

Passed Driver's Ed
When seeing the images I have to admit I wasn't keen on the mat silver finish of the wing mirror caps, I thought they looked a bit cheap and didn't do much for the aesthetics, so asked if I could have these in the body colour as a special request when ordering the car - as it would only be a question of swapping these out at the assembly stage surely? However, I was told VW don't allow this and it wasn't possible at the order stage although they would consider doing this once the car had been delivered. With some manufacturers you can specify special options but at a price of course but I wouldn't have thought this would have caused much of an issue...maybe it's something VW should consider offering as they only have to select and send alternate coloured parts which they would have in stock to the assembly line? Or would this slow everything down in the whole scheme of things?

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I personally prefer brushed aluminum if it's real; because afterall Piano Black is just a fancy marketing name of "black!!"
but it's good the're offering two choice so buyers can match or contrast their car's color. a Piano black would look nothing special on a black Golf, consequently brushed aluminum wouldn't look that much special on tungestun silver Golf ;)

Wolksvagen

Banned
I personally prefer brushed aluminum if it's real; because afterall Piano Black is just a fancy marketing name of "black!!"
but it's good the're offering two choice so buyers can match or contrast their car's color. a Piano black would look nothing special on a black Golf, consequently brushed aluminum wouldn't look that much special on tungestun silver Golf ;)

Not quite true, you are so surrounded by the dash, doors and central console that you don't notice or even see the outside colour from the inside.

The Mk7 demo I tested was black with piano black interior and it looked awesome.

I agree that it is just shiny black plastic with a fancy marketing name, I would imagine the brushed metal finish on the lower end models to be more expensive to manufacture than black plastic.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie

I disagree. There are several types/finishes of black and 'Piano Black' is an accurate description.

I do agree having a choice would be great! While I LOVE black cars (most all of my favourite cars I've owned have been black), I purposely avoided the Black MK6 Golf R as I felt much of the detail was lost. On the MK7, however, I feel it does not have as an aggressive front end as the MK6 and therefore black flows well and silver mirror caps would be a nice accent along with the two silver strips up front. Not to mention black would blend that monstrosity of a sunroof which interrupts the flow of the roofline IMHO.

ick

Ready to race!
My experience with the piano black on the exterior, like the window pillars, is that it is very difficult to keep scratches out of it. Give me the brushed silver. I like the way it accents the car and ties in with the badging.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Not quite true, you are so surrounded by the dash, doors and central console that you don't notice or even see the outside colour from the inside.

The Mk7 demo I tested was black with piano black interior and it looked awesome.

I agree that it is just shiny black plastic with a fancy marketing name, I would imagine the brushed metal finish on the lower end models to be more expensive to manufacture than black plastic.

I've just seen your reply :eek: I was referring to the Mirror Caps color, nothing to do with interior ;) Piano black interior looks great regardless of exterior color

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I disagree. There are several types/finishes of black and 'Piano Black' is an accurate description.

In theory you're right Piano Black is an accurate description...
any picture to help me differentiate between Gloss Black and Piano Black?! ooohh no it turns out they're identical in reality!! at least through my eyes :)

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Gloss Black and Piano Back are indeed one and the same.... as opposed to matt black, satin black, metallic black, peraleacent black etc etc...

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
In theory you're right Piano Black is an accurate description...
any picture to help me differentiate between Gloss Black and Piano Black?! ooohh no it turns out they're identical in reality!! at least through my eyes :)

If you can't tell in person, a picture will not illustrate any better to you ;)

bypassbazza

Passed Driver's Ed
Not given option when ordered, but would prefer black caps.
(oryx white car on order)

Seen various photos showing black and others silver on white cars.
:confused:

reid

Passed Driver's Ed
the silver on blue is gorgeous.. distinctive without being flashy. Maybe I only want it because I never had a nogaro blue b5 s4 avant (2001+ with the silver mirrors).