GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinions on scratch

waltzyy

Ready to race!
Hey guys can I get some feedback on this scratch? Last night my fiances mother accidentally scratched my car with her large bag. I ran my finger and nail and didn't feel anything. Any thoughts and recommendation? Thanks!

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
STOP!

Whatever you do, DO NOT use an electric buffing machine in that, you will likley end up with swirls. Go to the autoparts store and get a product called "scratch-out", comes in a yellow carton. Or if not available, some kind of scratch remover....no matter where you are, a well stocked store will have something like that. Next use a terry cloth or towel and GENTLY apply, and clean off...may take several times, but you will be pleased with the results. The electric buffer is a no-no for dark colours like this :eek:

Do it by hand and save yourself the trouble of going "awww man...look at it now, dang!".

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Get some Meguires Scratch X it will remove that quickly. No need for a buffer.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
Whatever you do, DO NOT use an electric buffing machine in that, you will likley end up with swirls. Go to the autoparts store and get a product called "scratch-out", comes in a yellow carton. Or if not available, some kind of scratch remover....no matter where you are, a well stocked store will have something like that. Next use a terry cloth or towel and GENTLY apply, and clean off...may take several times, but you will be pleased with the results. The electric buffer is a no-no for dark colours like this :eek:

Do it by hand and save yourself the trouble of going "awww man...look at it now, dang!".

This response is so flawed on a million levels, but I will simplify.

If you mean rotary polisher in an unskilled hand, then yes, don't do it.

If you mean dual action random orbital, then I will disagree. I could hold my rupes machine in the same spot for 10 minutes and not cause the issues you are speaking of. If you have the right tools and a little skill a machine is fine here. Color is irrelevant too. Any color will show buffer trails or holograms if you are using a rotary and are off by any margin on the levelness of the pad.

Hand should work though.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Scratch x will remove that by hand. I've used a da on all types of paint and never left swirls or marks. Technique all the way.

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!

Not to be a jerk, but you have no business giving advice in this category. DO NOT USE TERRY CLOTH ON YOUR PAINT EVER

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Unfortunately my wife side swiped her car in a parking garage today. Any DIY suggestions for this scuff and paint transfer? Apparently the parking attendant suggested using Armor All-- say what!?!? Then after a quick google search, there are people actually recommending toothpaste and WD-40 also??? :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_6457 (1).JPG
    IMG_6457 (1).JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,210

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately my wife side swiped her car in a parking garage today. Any DIY suggestions for this scuff and paint transfer? Apparently the parking attendant suggested using Armor All-- say what!?!? Then after a quick google search, there are people actually recommending toothpaste and WD-40 also??? :eek:

For sure. Just make sure and use extra whitening toothpaste. :p

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm pleasantly surprised that most of the paint transfer came off with some general cleaner and some elbow grease.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,178

MarcA

Ready to race!
You may be able to reduce the bad bits further with a little clear lacquer then buff it down. You will still see imperfections obviously but it hides most of the standout colour change