GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temp alert and temp over 130c

isotonic_uk

Hi All

Was wondering if anyone can clarify an issue I have seen on my MK7 Golf. I think I may contributed to the problem as well.

Yesterday before I left for work I was in the car park talking for about 20 minutes with work friend, during this time the car was on and stationary, after I left about 30 minutes on the motorway I received a error about my oil temp was too high, the car I believe went into limp mode (not sure as there was a lot of traffic so was going about 30 anyway), I saw the oil temp needle right at the maximum temp which is 130c.

I pulled to the hard shoulder and waiting for 5 minutes before starting up again and then carryed on, throughout the remainder of the journey I was playing russian roulette with the temperature as it was rising and going down, I heard from a friend a long time ago that actually putting the heater on high and opening the windows should help, i tried this and it did keep the temperature controlled.

Went to work this morning and all seemed to be ok. The oil hasn't risen to that high level. Before I left I did check the coolant level and thought it was a bit lower than what I have seen it previously but I believe still under acceptable levels. I have also in the last 2 weeks had the oil warning light appear to say its due but just haven't had the chance to book it in yet.

See image to show coolant level: https://img42.com/ipbLL

So did leaving my engine idle stationary for 20 minutes contribute to the temperature going so high?

Appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The temperature gauge in the instrument display is for coolant, not oil. Assuming the GT Golf has the same multi function display options as the GTI, you can select oil temperature to be displayed in the MFD between the speedo and rev counter but there isn't a gauge that automatically displays oil temperature.

Did the error message specifically mention oil or just temperature? A temperature warning message in conjunction with the coolant gauge at 130c suggests you had an issue with the coolant running too hot, and not an oil temperature issue.

As you got a warning message, an error code may have been logged. Your dealer can check this for you or if you know someone with VCDS, they can check your car for error codes.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Assuming the GT Golf has the same multi function display options as the GTI, you can select oil temperature to be displayed in the MFD between the speedo and rev counter but there isn't a gauge that automatically displays oil temperature.

I can confirm the MFD on GT spec models have this.

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
As SRGTD mentions I think you are talking about the coolant level. Mine, in the same engine never goes above 90 (or vertical).

In terms of your question about leaving the car running - perhaps it did contribute to the high temperature however, when the engine gets too hot in these circumstances the fan will generally kick on to cool it down. So a kind of 'yes' and 'no' answer!

The interesting fact is that if you were doing 30+ on a motorway that should have brought any engine temperature down. Your coolant level looks fine. Look at the oil temperature in the MFD - again for mine I think around 100 is normal.

If you are still concerned - take it to the garage. It's not worth severe engine damage for the sake of a call in to the garage.

Hope this helps.

isotonic_uk

Hi thanks for the replies. Ok so it was definitely the coolant light that came on.

Looking at the attached picture, my coolant is sufficient right or is it worth me topping this up? if there is a leak of somesort is there a way I can identify this?

Thanks

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
Your coolant looks fine, well above the minimum line (assuming it's the bottom line). I wouldn't add more.

If you have a leak, the coolant should progressively go down and you may see (hot) dripping fluid when parking up. I'd monitor it for a few days but if you are concerned, take it to the garage.

Remember if the coolant level doesn't move it could always be a faulty thermostat or gauge?

isotonic_uk

thanks for that.

If I was to invest in a engine management code reader, would that tell me exactly what the problem that occurred rather than me taking it to a Garage. Our local VW garage is crap and wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. I do have another dealer but he's cant see it for at least 10 days as hes stacked up.

Tempted to get one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...MK+VII&hash=item1c6cfab2a1:g:3ikAAOSwU-pXss5U

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Thermostat or fans is what I would check.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you are cruising on the highway and hardly stopping your water temperature would go back down if your thermostat is good. I had both fans fail on my MK4 (blown fuse) and was able to drive 25 miles to home because I kept moving and didn't stop for more than a few minutes at a time. I think you need to be driving at more than 30 KPH though, that's not enough speed to move enough air through the radiator. More like 50. Of course, never run the AC compressor. That will make the AC condenser hot and the hot air will blow through the radiator. You will definitely overheat the engine if your cooling system is compromised.

Open your hood and look at the larger fan. Is it spinning when the car seems to be overheated?

I don't know if the MK7 is the same as the MK5. On the MK5 the fan controller for both fans is in the larger fan. When that fails neither fan will spin. Also check the fuse for the fans if neither is spinning. I believe it's in the fuse box under the hood and could look like a metal strip with a notch in it secured by two nuts.

I've also found on the MK5 that the fans are two-speed. The large fan may be on high-speed only. It's pretty obvious - the roar is very loud and it cycles on and off continuously. That's an indication the controller is bad. It's built into the large fan and not replaceable.

Or it could be the thermostat but I think your coolant level would be higher when hot and your fans would still spin correctly. There's also a temp sensor in the coolant line, used to be near the radiator that might have failed.

If you're still under the basic warranty just take it to a dealer. Or just take it to a dealer unless you're prepared to fix it yourself. A VCDS scan should show if the fans and sensor are operating correctly. If the fans are the same as the MK5 the easiest and maybe the only way they come out is from the bottom so you might need a lift to replace even the one fan. They bolt onto a large carrier, which needs to be removed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
If you are cruising on the highway and hardly stopping your water temperature would go back down if your thermostat is good. I had both fans fail on my MK4 (blown fuse) and was able to drive 25 miles to home because I kept moving and didn't stop for more than a few minutes at a time. I think you need to be driving at more than 30 KPH though, that's not enough speed to move enough air through the radiator. More like 50. Of course, never run the AC compressor. That will make the AC condenser hot and the hot air will blow through the radiator. You will definitely overheat the engine if your cooling system is compromised.

Open your hood and look at the larger fan. Is it spinning when the car seems to be overheated?

I don't know if the MK7 is the same as the MK5. On the MK5 the fan controller for both fans is in the larger fan. When that fails neither fan will spin. Also check the fuse for the fans if neither is spinning. I believe it's in the fuse box under the hood and could look like a metal strip with a notch in it secured by two nuts.

I've also found on the MK5 that the fans are two-speed. The large fan may be on high-speed only. It's pretty obvious - the roar is very loud and it cycles on and off continuously. That's an indication the controller is bad. It's built into the large fan and not replaceable.

Or it could be the thermostat but I think your coolant level would be higher when hot and your fans would still spin correctly. There's also a temp sensor in the coolant line, used to be near the radiator that might have failed.

If you're still under the basic warranty just take it to a dealer. Or just take it to a dealer unless you're prepared to fix it yourself. A VCDS scan should show if the fans and sensor are operating correctly. If the fans are the same as the MK5 the easiest and maybe the only way they come out is from the bottom so you might need a lift to replace even the one fan. They bolt onto a large carrier, which needs to be removed.

Hope this helps.

nice reply Fed. Very informative and helpful. :)

isotonic_uk

Thanks for the replies.

I have been monitoring the issue over last few days, I did top up the coolant slightly even though it didn't really need it and not had the problem again. I can't see any signs of leakage, my only conclusion to this is issue is me leaving the car in idle on the day it happened and this possibly caused the sensor to act in an odd way.

Thinkin back even though the coolant level had exceeded 130c I dont think the car was overheating, I pretty confident now it must have been a sensor issue and the car must have gone into limp mode and produced all the warning on the dash as thats whats programmed on the car I am guessing.

I keep an eye on it but I am hoping this was a one off.