GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil/Filter Question - Canadians

Ray1340

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Weird question and probably completely ignorant but does Amazon operate in Canada? I buy liqui moly from them and it’s cheaper than it is from anywhere else. My friend is the head tech at the local dealer and he usually gives me a filter or I get one from the parts department for like 6 bucks. Another buddy has an extractor at his shop so I inspect and replace the drain plug if necessary.
Liqui moly doesn't make 0w-30 VW504.00, not yet.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Weird question and probably completely ignorant but does Amazon operate in Canada? I buy liqui moly from them and it’s cheaper than it is from anywhere else. My friend is the head tech at the local dealer and he usually gives me a filter or I get one from the parts department for like 6 bucks. Another buddy has an extractor at his shop so I inspect and replace the drain plug if necessary.

The drain plug will be fine since you're using an extractor.

bcgti

Ready to race!
To the OP's question - I've been using Motomaster Formula 1 5w40 for the past few years which is always a good price at Canadian Tire. It's on the VW approved oil list too. I do change my oil roughly every 6 months which is ~10000km's for me.

As for filters I order a bunch of Wix filters through Rockauto.

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve always used 5w-40 in both my gti and my R.

I use Liqui Moly 5w40 Leichtlauf in my 2018R (our sticker says 502/504 and so does the manual. I read BITOG forums and decided to run 40 weight in my R (there is no correct answer here as long as you use VW approved oil for your model and year, not trying to start an oil war!) and so far (almost 45k km) it is running fantastic. Burned about 1/2 quart in the first 15K km, then about 1/4 for the same interval which I believe is completely normal for these cars.

I am convinced 502 would be fine for 2019s (don't think anything has changed in the engine between 18 and 19 models) but would obviously use 504 if I had a 2019 in case something horrible happened.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To the OP's question - I've been using Motomaster Formula 1 5w40 for the past few years which is always a good price at Canadian Tire. It's on the VW approved oil list too. I do change my oil roughly every 6 months which is ~10000km's for me.

As for filters I order a bunch of Wix filters through Rockauto.

I used to get them from Rock Auto but they get you on the shipping charges. Been buying a K&N oil filter from Amazon for $8.89 and free shipping.