GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ohlins R&T

CZR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf V GTI Ed. 30
Hi guys. Reviving this thread.
Any idea if VMS MI10 (Mk5/Mk6) fits Mk7 ? They seem quite similar. Except maybe the connection to the swaybar endlink is a little bit different.

i will test fit them when i get the R 7 if they are not going to be compatible i will sell them and get these latest ones

Did you test the fitment ?

nal

Ready to race!
ohlins coilovers for the 7 platform don't perfectly fit with the stock mount its designed to be paired with so the mounts will squeak after a few months of use during which the ride is sublime after which it becomes soggy and noisy.I waited more than one year for ohlins to address this,initially they offered a bearing replacement which failed to rectify the problem.recently they offered a solid mount as an item to be purchased which i did buy only after securing a money back guarantee from ohlins malaysia in case the noise is not resolved.As expected with the solid mounts installed there was more suspension noise and the silken ohlins ride quality was gone.the solid mounts are a good idea for track but not as a daily driver.So i reverted to changing new stock mounts and will replace them when they start to squeak again.It's what i have to live with due to fitment issues.Contemplated selling the ohlins but the other brands cannot give the ohlins ride quality.
I am a disgruntled owner but when the mounts are new and tight the ride quality is sublime

Sad to hear about squeaking strut mounts or bearings. Did you try the stiffer
034ms mounts already?

@ CZR:

I have no clue on the front struts, but the lower damper mount/connection
looks entirely different between PQ35 (Mk.V/VI) and MQB (Mk.VII). I wouldn't
even wonder if damper length would differ by some margin, since old PQ35 had
the damper attached to the wheel carrier, while on MQB the damper links to the
lower control arm.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
That's weird, after Öhlins released the bearing adapter my car was transformed and I had no noise since then (it's on for about 15000Km). The noise you are having probably is from the front subframe (bad bushings from VW's part, they need lithium grease to become silent). I had a noise I thought it was coming from the front struts and it was the subframe. How many times have you changed the front top mounts? Maybe they weren't properly fitted? From my experience the fit (and finish) of the MP20 is top notch. As it were for the mk6 the MI10.
As for fitting the latter in the mk7 it's not doable. Rear springs AND dampers are way too long in the mk7. The Bruce (we still miss you :() mentioned the springs that can be bought from Eibach, which makes them for Öhlins, and they can be bought with various length/strength variations.

nal

Ready to race!
i only heard about the o34 mounts yesterday from a fellow forumer,a day after i bought and fitted a new pair of stock mounts.My friends who also othe same ohlins coilovers intend to do a group buy of the o34 mounts as they appear more ridgid and better built than the stock mounts.The solid mounts are just unsuitable for daily driving

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Öhlins released a bearing adapter ? Any picture/link please ?

It's a piece that went from a thin (~0.2cm) alloy ring (flange?) to a solid +1cm in thickness which makes room for the bottom part of the top mount. It now allows the metal ring of the poorly VW designed mount to move and not scrub in the inner part of the Öhlins bearing.

nal

Ready to race!
in my case they were given to me at no charge under warranty.It didn't solve the noise issue on my car and that of my friends as well who installed them.i note a fellow forumer within this thread has encountered no noise issues since installing it.Maybe there is a discrepancy of quality between batches,I don't know

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Sold by them ? Or custom made ? Can't find any reference.

When did you purchase them? I have them for a year now and the upgraded bearing adapter was released last June. You could speak with your retailer or contact Öhlins HQ directly. They were shipped in two days after I contacted them and were in one day in my house! The service is excellent.
Now, about the noise. You know that Öhlins dampers must be serviced every ~30000Km. Maybe you got much over this point of maintenance? If I recall correctly, you set the dampers at six clicks which is rather stiff, except that the roads you are using is like a track. So your dampers must be a little tired. Also, don't forget that when you remove the damper you must use a new top mount. The new top mount along with the new bearing adapter did the trick for me and I have no complains since then. The car behaves and the MP20 works wonders in any road situations. I hope I helped.

CZR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf V GTI Ed. 30
I don't have it (yet) :p Was doing research hah :)
I know I need to service it. That's not a problem. New top mount + bearing or only the mount ?

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I don't have it (yet) :p Was doing research hah :)
I know I need to service it. That's not a problem. New top mount + bearing or only the mount ?

Öhlins made their bearing as the stock one is completely different. The only stock part you need is the top mount (I got the febi-bilstein alteration because it was the only one I could find around here. I wouldn't buy a part from them, but it works flawlessly so no need to change them).