GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MN Thread

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, slight tangent: has anybody used a set of pilot super sport tires in the MN winter? If so, how did they do? Trying to pick between these and pilot sport A/S's.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I don't have the Michelin PSS tires (although I want them!) but I'm guessing they won't do very well at all in freezing temps or snow being that they are a "max performance" summer tire. I don't even really trust the "no seasons" that came with the car for our winters especially on an 18-inch wheel. Other cars I've driven during winter with all season low profile tires did not do well, either. Much better off getting some dedicated winter tires. Just my 2 cents but maybe someone who actually has the pilot super sports would know better.

I really would like to upgrade tires for summer though, too. The all seasons that came with the car are just not very good for the power it has. I just switched back to them and I swear I got more grip with my winter setup.

Assuming you probably don't want to spring for two sets of tires at once and are considering a tune, you could always get the pilot super sports for summer and use the stock all seasons for winter, perhaps?

boomkapow

Passed Driver's Ed
@nicholam77: Thanks for the response. As a non-PP gti, I feel like I need the grip even more. Esp. since I would like to get a stage 2 Eurodyne tune soon. Looks like the DSG is for sure happening :) If only I knew that next winter will be like this one was I would just get the PSS haha.
I like the idea of getting some PSS for summer as I can't get on it very often in the winter.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Well guys I attempted to install my new Track Edition exhaust today and got 80% of the way finished before noticing the end of the mid-section has a big dent in the pipe. The rear tip outlet section won't even fit over it, and even if it did I doubt it would seal well with the clamp.

Pretty disappointed as this is my daily and now I'm in a tight spot. I sure don't feel like going to the effort of putting the stock catback back on right now, but I kinda need the car and who knows how long a solution will take. Being that it's the weekend I have emails out to AWE and Modded Euros where I purchased from so we'll see what they have to say when they can get back to me.

REALLY wishing I would have closely inspected ALL the pieces before starting. :mad:

boomkapow

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sorry man. Pipes look good except for the dent. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I'm sorry man. Pipes look good except for the dent. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. While waiting for AWE to respond I attempted to fix myself with a vice grip and protective towel and got the pipes looking pretty round again. Oh yeah btw I subsequently discovered the left tip outlet on the rear section was dented, too! I can only assume AWE does some sort of quality control on their exhausts so this must have happened during shipping. But I was able to complete the install and everything seems okay so far.

Here's a quick pic:

boomkapow

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if it is the angle or not, but knowing they were dented and looking at it now, I can't see any issues. Maybe you'll be able to keep these pipes and awe or modded euros will hook you up!

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
So how many of you guys are part of the MNVW Facebook group, you should join a few of us ...

You might have seen my car at C&C a few times ...

rabidbunny

Passed Driver's Ed
Posting from Lakeville. I'm running with BMW club at BIR first week in June. If anyone else here is going, drop me a PM.

Grant

rabidbunny

Passed Driver's Ed
BMW club lets anyone run unless you have a convertible, SUV, etc.
The Northstar BMW site gives all the event details if your interested. I believe they still have Saturday only if you don't want to be there both days.
They offer Plenty of track time plus good instruction IMO. I have been instructing with different clubs for over 15 years at different tracks. There is also Surburban Corvette club running Monday, June 6 on the full course. It's a bit looser than the BMW event, but still good. Both are around $300 although the Saturday only option is cheaper with BMW club. Either way, fun times.

JP5

New MN member checking in - picked up a 2016 Golf R recently, manual, no DCC. Loving it so far.

Just had tint and 3m clear shield put in. APR goodies coming soon. Looking forward to meeting other enthusiasts...

The Ringer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
BMW club lets anyone run unless you have a convertible, SUV, etc.
The Northstar BMW site gives all the event details if your interested. I believe they still have Saturday only if you don't want to be there both days.
They offer Plenty of track time plus good instruction IMO. I have been instructing with different clubs for over 15 years at different tracks. There is also Surburban Corvette club running Monday, June 6 on the full course. It's a bit looser than the BMW event, but still good. Both are around $300 although the Saturday only option is cheaper with BMW club. Either way, fun times.

Awesome. Thanks for the info! I don't think I will attend this year, but I am already looking into attending their performance driving class this year. Then maybe next year I would be prepared to run with the BMW club. As long as I have your attention, I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple more questions...

Specifically, I want to know what to expect in terms of wear on a full track day. Will I completely obliterate my tires? My brakes? Do I need different brake fluid? I would welcome some input on what to expect--this is my daily driver, too, after all.

Thanks!