GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oem digital dash retrofit questions

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I’m about to pull the trigger on a digital dash from a golf r. It’s used and I can get the trim and whatever cables are hooked up to it. What would I need to do besides just plugging it in and going? I have an mib2 car

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Regrettably, it is not a direct plug-and-play kind of retrofit due to security mechanisms for the immobiliser. Besides the wiring and trim, you would have to have the immobiliser paired to your car and then have your keys recoded to the new immobiliser. This requires the dealership software, ODIS, with online functionality. Since the cluster is used, VW requires that it be scanned by a dealership or independent shop with ODIS and then have a form sent to Germany for the cluster to be approved for activation with a new VIN. The approval process takes up to 48 hours and then the immobiliser can be paired to your car using ODIS.

I have seen claims that there have been periods when VW stopped approving used immobilisers but can't comment on that.

More information on the digital cluster retrofits here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-5-digital-cockpit-retrofit.348993/

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
you can also take it to a shop that has odis access or use an online programmer such as @simaservis1108. his telegram/whatsapp is on the profile. you would need to rent a vas5054a dongle and need a windows laptop. he will connect via remote tool to program your new dash (diy install). the only thing that is not possible is rolling the odometer to match your actual mileage. only unused units can be set to a custom mileage. otherwise, the mileage locks in after 30 miles or so of driving from 0.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
you can also take it to a shop that has odis access or use an online programmer such as @simaservis1108. his telegram/whatsapp is on the profile. you would need to rent a vas5054a dongle and need a windows laptop. he will connect via remote tool to program your new dash (diy install). the only thing that is not possible is rolling the odometer to match your actual mileage. only unused units can be set to a custom mileage. otherwise, the mileage locks in after 30 miles or so of driving from 0.
Cluster can be hooked up to a bench setup and have the miles run up that way; obviously only works if the donor car had fewer miles than the recipient.