OEM 18" Prets available

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Ouch

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, 18" prets debuted like a few months after prets were available as the wheels on the R and optional wheels on the performance pack GTI. They made a bunch of noise when they came out because some places were listening them being heavier than the 19s which turned out to be false and only the "shipping weight" which is not accurate for when they're mounted.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Available as an option in black on Canadian 2019. Would have taken it if it was available in 2018, looks great with Tornado Red.

OP is referring 18" black Pretorias. I dont think its an option in Canadian Rs.

You might be quoting 19" black Pretorias which is an option in MY19 Rs.

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
OP is referring 18" black Pretorias. I dont think its an option in Canadian Rs.

You might be quoting 19" black Pretorias which is an option in MY19 Rs.

I swore I saw them on the order sheet at first, I guess you can buy the 18" black separate as I got a quote from the parts department last year. I stand corrected!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I swore I saw them on the order sheet at first, I guess you can buy the 18" black separate as I got a quote from the parts department last year. I stand corrected!

Here is official order sheet from VW Canada for 2019 R and vehicles can be ordered only with 19" wheels from the factory.

Anyone can order 18" wheels as an accessory from parts department (i bought mine in 2017) as an extra set of wheels in addition to the stock 19" wheels from factory.

Attachments

• BuyersGuide_2019_GolfR.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 175

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Anyone provide any pictures of these 18inch wheels.

In my honest opinion the 19inch looks so much better especially if you stay stock on ride height

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Anyone provide any pictures of these 18inch wheels.

In my honest opinion the 19inch looks so much better especially if you stay stock on ride height
Any Rabbit Edition.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I had 18” and 19” Prets on my 2016 GTI and 19” looks great & aggressive. Damn MI roads, i switched back to 18” wheels in a couple of weeks.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I had 18” and 19” Prets on my 2016 GTI and 19” looks great & aggressive. Damn MI roads, i switched back to 18” wheels in a couple of weeks.
The 19inch make the GTI look so clean! They're so pricey though..
I try my best to avoid running into potholes. Gotta pay attention at all times smh.
I ran into one yesterday at like 5mph, it didn't sound nice.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The 19” version seem to be made from cheese - quite a few owners on vwroc.com have experienced cracked and buckled wheels with the 19’s from potholes, and individual wheels are expensive to replace - at least in the UK they are.

Don’t know if the 18‘S would fare any better (19’s are flow formed and 18’s are cast, so don’t know if that would be a factor in susceptibility to damage from potholes / poor roads).

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
The 19inch make the GTI look so clean! They're so pricey though..
I try my best to avoid running into potholes. Gotta pay attention at all times smh.
I ran into one yesterday at like 5mph, it didn't sound nice.

Brand new wheels cost a bomb but one can find great deals on like new wheels from members who swap it out as soon as they take delivery of their vehicle. I get tempted everytime when i come across those listings.

When i had those 19", i would stop my vehicle in a parking lot and inspect the wheels everytime i go over potholes or hear a bang. It was getting out of control and wifey didnt like it.

The 19” version seem to be made from cheese - quite a few owners on vwroc.com have experienced cracked and buckled wheels with the 19’s from potholes, and individual wheels are expensive to replace - at least in the UK they are.

Don’t know if the 18‘S would fare any better (19’s are flow formed and 18’s are cast, so don’t know if that would be a factor in susceptibility to damage from potholes / poor roads).

I remember several threads here with similar issues when 19" wheels came out initially.

It might be the combination of thinner spokes with small sidewall in the tires. Even though 18" wheels are cast, bigger sidewall helps.