GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

mensaman

Ready to race!
The Soundaktor is a device which pushes synthetic engine noise into the cabin by vibrating the front windshield, playing sounds through your speakers or tubing ran into the cabin. VW designed it to give its 2.0L engine some low end grunt.

wallstreet1234561

Passed Driver's Ed
The Soundaktor is a device which pushes synthetic engine noise into the cabin by vibrating the front windshield, playing sounds through your speakers or tubing ran into the cabin. VW designed it to give its 2.0L engine some low end grunt.

If the radio is off can it still play sound through the speakers?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The Soundaktor is a device which pushes synthetic engine noise into the cabin by vibrating the front windshield. VW designed it to give its 2.0L engine some low end grunt.

Fixed it

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!

Evidently they are in the Audi A3 with 1.8 also. I rented one and drove from Miami to Key West. In town, it was so weird hearing the Soundaktor because it wasn't quite in sync with the actual engine noise I could hear with the top down. A bit disconcerting until I realized what it was.

hobie411

Passed Driver's Ed
How does the heated seat memory function? I set mine to remember, but it doesn't seem to work. Does it need some kind of memory module?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just received mine in the mail today!
This thing is cool, but of course, I have a few questions. I'll start off with what I have done so far with it.
The first thing I did was hook it up and learn how to navigate through the menus. Then I did a back up of all the modules, just to make sure I have them if needed. Then I made a few changes using the Apps.
Changes made:
- Windows up/down with key fob
- Carbon fiber look instruments
- Comfort blink set to 5
- Emergency braking activate flashers

I did these changes with adaptations:
- Lock car with fob while started/running
- Soundaktor set to 50%

Still debating:
- DRL's dim w/turn signal
- Remove NA restriction on lighting

I now have a few comments/questions:
First of all, I would like to repeat that this thing is great! and everything went smoothly (except for some confusion with the errors).
When I looked for errors, it did find several, and some couldn't get deleted for some reason. I found many that were obviously left over from the factory, etc. and others that were obviously meaningless, but the transmission one concerned me, it had a lot of "stuck gears" and "electrical" errors. Those came back a second time after I cleared them, but thankfully didn't come back a third time after I cleared them and took a drive. I'm not sure why, since the car drives perfectly.
There's two others that can't be cleared in the Information control unit. They were errors for "checking software version management" and "Tuner for Satellite radio Deactivated".
I also had another error in the Telematics Communication Unit that said "Control Module Immobilizer Deactivated"
Can someone please give me some insight on these errors and if they have any meaning that I should be concerned about.

I wanted to do the voltage readout, but if I'm correct, it won't work on my car because I have a North American car that doesn't have the battery monitoring circuitry. Please confirm this for me.
Also, please confirm that the "emergency flashers when braking hard" function works on North American cars, or is it only for Euro cars?
I also really want to know what the NA restriction entails. If I remove the restriction, what benefits do I get? I heard that the headlights raise slightly at higher speeds. I really like that function, will I get it by just removing the NAR or do I have to do that first, then make another change in addition to the NAR?

Edit....I found the info regarding the transmission errors:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7573018-Multiple-dsg-codes-help!&p=103350017#post103350017

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Firstly congrats on grabbing one of these units - very powerful for what they are!

I'll Try to answer some stuff in the body of the text..

I just received mine in the mail today!
This thing is cool, but of course, I have a few questions. I'll start off with what I have done so far with it.
The first thing I did was hook it up and learn how to navigate through the menus. Then I did a back up of all the modules, just to make sure I have them if needed Smart man!. Then I made a few changes using the Apps.
Changes made:
- Windows up/down with remote
- Carbon fiber look instruments
- Comfort blink set to 5
- Emergency braking activate flashers
These are all done very easily via coding as well!

I did these changes with adaptations:
- Lock car with fob while started/runningLOVE this!
- Soundaktor set to 50%Turned mine completely off

Still debating:
- DRL's dim w/turn signal I have done this for both cars.. IIRC this is a Euro spec, maybe someone can confirm. I like it.
- Remove NA restriction on lighting Do it!

I now have a few comments/questions:
First of all, I would like to repeat that this thing is great! and everything went smoothly (except for some confusion with the errors).
When I looked for errors, it did find several, and some couldn't get deleted for some reason. I found many that were obviously left over from the factory, etc. and others that were obviously meaningless, but the transmission one concerned me, it had a lot of "stuck gears" and "electrical" errors. Those came back a second time after I cleared them, but thankfully didn't come back a third time after I cleared them and took a drive. I'm not sure why, since the car drives perfectly.Someone with DSG can chime in here, but I hear this is common
There's two others that can't be cleared in the Information control unit. They were errors for "checking software version management" and "Tuner for Satellite radio Deactivated". Sat Rad deactivated because you don't have a subscription currently..
I also had another error in the Telematics Communication Unit that said "Control Module Immobilizer Deactivated"
Can someone please give me some insight on these errors and if they have any meaning that I should be concerned about.

I wanted to do the voltage readout, but if I'm correct, it won't work on my car because I have a North American car that doesn't have the battery monitoring circuitry. Please confirm this for me. this function doesn't work in either of my cars either, I just get ___%
Also, please confirm that the "emergency flashers when braking hard" function works on North American cars, or is it only for Euro cars? Would like confirmation as well..
I also really want to know what the NA restriction entails. If I remove the restriction, what benefits do I get? I heard that the headlights raise slightly at higher speeds. I really like that function, will I get it by just removing the NAR or do I have to do that first, then make another change in addition to the NAR?
Yes, headlights will raise slightly at 55kph? Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I probably am.. Also, cornering lights function with turn signals.. Also in the R, you can select which side traffic is on (L vs R), which will affect the levelling so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.. I think there is something else removing the restriction does.. might have to do with the fogs?

Edit....I found the info regarding the transmission errors:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7573018-Multiple-dsg-codes-help!&p=103350017#post103350017

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Firstly congrats on grabbing one of these units - very powerful for what they are!

I'll Try to answer some stuff in the body of the text..

Thank you for the very thorough answers!!!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Were you by chance scanning while car is RUNNING as opposed to just ON?

Those stuck gears seem to be result of that IIRC - could be wrong.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I edited my original post with a link to the other forum where it is explained.
I got scared when it happened!!

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ok. I have a few more questions now....
I Changed the DRL's so that they are dim while the blinker is on. However, I noticed that the DRL's are off when the light switch is in the "off" position, but when on "auto", the DRL's are on and they dim as expected when using the blinker, so I like that. My question is, did they always operate this way, or did the DRL's used to stay on even when the switch was in the off position? It's not too big of a deal because I always leave the switch on Auto, but I just wanted to know.

The other question has to do with the mirror dip.
I was told to check if my car has a memory module by Checking the live data and looking at the % numbers. Mine said 255% & 255% which signifies that a memory module is not installed (if installed, it was supposed to be 33% & 50%).
My question is:
Was it proper to check it before the "mirror dip" change, or was I supposed to do the change, then look at the percentages to see if the module was installed?

One last question:
I want to get rid of the NAR on the lights. After it's done, the instructions say that I will have to clear an error by parking on a level surface, and do the reset. Does the car have to be EXACTLY level? Should I put it on the lift? Or does it just have to be close? I don't want to mess up the headlight alignment if it needs to be perfectly level when performing this function. The reason I ask is that I don't have access to my lift right now because there is snow on the ground, and I have my toy car back there and can't take it out (just in case you are wondering "why the hell not just put it on the lift if you are not sure", LOL).

Last edited:

Raegar

Ready to race!
I Changed the DRL's so that they are dim while the blinker is on. However, I noticed that the DRL's are off when the light switch is in the "off" position, but when on "auto", the DRL's are on and they dim as expected when using the blinker, so I like that. My question is, did they always operate this way, or did the DRL's used to stay on even when the switch was in the off position? It's not too big of a deal because I always leave the switch on Auto, but I just wanted to know.

I was told to check if my car has a memory module by Checking the live data and looking at the % numbers. Mine said 255% & 255% which signifies that a memory module is not installed (if installed, it was supposed to be 33% & 50%).
My question is:
Was it proper to check it before the "mirror dip" change, or was I supposed to do the change, then look at the percentages to see if the module was installed?

One last question:
I want to get rid of the NAR on the lights. After it's done, the instructions say that I will have to clear an error by parking on a level surface, and do the reset. Does the car have to be EXACTLY level? Should I put it on the lift? Or does it just have to be close? I don't want to mess up the headlight alignment if it needs to be perfectly level when performing this function. The reason I ask is that I don't have access to my lift right now because there is snow on the ground, and I have my toy car back there and can't take it out (just in case you are wondering "why the hell not just put it on the lift if you are not sure", LOL).

DRL's should always be on when switch is in the OFF position. However there is a OBDeleven change that give you control of that in the center console and you can manually turn DRL's on or off - the problem you're describing seems like a coding mistake though

The mirror dip, it doesnt matter. I'd still do it - it will not 100% return to where it was but close enough. I have it same way.

Not sure of the 3rd thing at all.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
DRL's should always be on when switch is in the OFF position. However there is a OBDeleven change that give you control of that in the center console and you can manually turn DRL's on or off - the problem you're describing seems like a coding mistake though

I used the App for that. I don't mind too much because I leave it on "Auto" anyway, so the DRL's are on. I just wanted to know how it was stock, and also if other people that used the App had the same results as me.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

The App that you subsequently say that you implemented does just exactly as you have observed - so there will be a software switch in your MENU to turn OFF/ON this function.
The adaptation channel that is modified by this App is:
. "Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO"
The default setting for this channel is "not active", but the App sets it to "active"

My question is:

the measures (they are for the "X" & "Y" coordinates) will vary if you have a memory module - so they needn't be 3% & 50%. But these measures can't be 255 (which is hexFF), else the module won't be installed

It doesn't matter when the test is performed - either the memory modue will be installed, or it won't!

Here's the screenshots using OBD11 for the test (which is where I suspect you got 33% and 50%):

OBD11Admin have suggested the following, but I suspect that it won't work properly without the memory module - How can the module return the mirror to the correct starting poition without memory?
"For peoples who have mirrors without memory can try this:
Switch ignition ON > Set mirror switch to R > Engage R gear > Manually move mirror to position that must be stored > Engage P gear > Switch ignition OFF > Now test mirror dip functionality"

One last question:

The basic setting procedure re-establishes a datum point for the range control modules for the HIDs. These modules aren't meant to control a scientific instrument -so don't get too concerned about accuracy issues. That said, the closer to true-level the car is, the better the aiming facility for the headlights (IMO)

See responses embedded in your post

Don

Last edited: