GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDEleven - looking for opinions

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
I have an older OBD11 Pro that I used with a hand me down Android phone. The phone finally died. I don't have any other Android products but I do have an iPhone.

Should I buy an new OBD11 to use with the iPhone (which now requires a yearly subscription as I understand)?
Or buy a newer Android device to use the current OBD11 I have that is grandfathered in from the subscription?

I will note that I don't use it super frequently, so I'm not sure I'd get my money's worth out a yearly subscription. Generally to scan for codes before service or make tweaks to the lights, etc.

Any input appreciated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Another Android phone because the iPhone guys always complain about problems with it not working right with the iPhone.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Consider a cheap Android tablet instead. You don't need anything fancy or super powerful, just something that can connect to the internet (Wi-Fi is fine) and the OBD11. Something like a Samsung Galaxy A7 Lite at Costco is between $100-$200.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
You can transfer your current account to the new one obd11. I have iPhone and never had any issues with connecting or anything. If you do find out you don’t like the iPhone you can still use it for android

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Meaning I won't have to buy a yearly subscription to use Pro features?
Correct. As long as your current account was grand fathered in you can sign it on that account with any obd11. The problem would be if you made a whole new account. I went from the classic to the new and didn’t have any problems

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Same, went from a dedicated $20 android phone I bought to use with it and did for about three years, was painful. Now on the new version using my iPhone and it is way better, have never had any issues or encountered any limitations. Pro version but not paying an annual fee.