GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDeleven: Hill Hold

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I've seen threads relating to this before but I haven't gotten a definitive answer. I've also searched other forums and have not been able to replicate what they are saying.

I find hill hold annoying, and I'm not here to discuss the merits of it or why VW programmed it into our cars, I just don't want it. I know in OBDEleven under Brakes 03, in adaptations, you can change "hill-start assistant" between late, normal, and early. I changed it to early and tested it out and I'm fairly convinced it made no difference. There is still a hold for at least a second even on slight hills.

I've read of a setting "right under that" (I don't see it) where you can adjust the threshold at which hill hold engages. From the sounds of it, stock setting is a 3% slope and changing it to, say, 10% would greatly reduce the number of times it intervenes. For me anyway.

But I can't find anywhere in OBDEleven where I can adjust that. Does anyone know if it exists, or what that adaptation is actually called?

MK7.5 GTI. OBDEleven NextGen Pro

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I wish I had an answer to your question, but maybe I can offer some moral support. I bought my car just over a month ago, and within a day I was looking to turn off the hill-hold. The best I could come up with was using Carly to change the setting to early. My opinion is that it is now somewhat less intrusive, but I didn't do a controlled experiment. Could be the placebo effect, but over the last ~3 weeks I am less annoyed by it. But I would love to just turn it off completely.

Back in early 2015 I bought a Jetta TDI, and I found someone in the area who came by my house and was able to completely turn off the hill-hold and make some other changes. I gave him beer. Unfortunately, I do not know how to get hold of him now.

And I am with you in that I don't care to have anyone tell me how wonderful hill-hold is and that there must be something wrong with me for wanting to turn it off (I have seen various threads in various car forums with such posts). I have been driving three-pedal cars for 37 years, and I don't live in the Himalayas. And if I did live in the Himalayas, I could still drive my car without stalling and without rolling into the car or the yak behind me.

If there is anyone out there in the Maryland area who can turn this off for me, I can give you beer! Or other booze, or just plain cash.