GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New NC resident winter tire recommendations

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Having lived in Southern California for 60 years, I’ve never had to consider the use of winter tires. Now I live just south of Charlotte. My 2019 R came with summer tires. As fall is now here, does anyone in the greater Charlotte area have any recommendations for or against the need for winter tires (I will be driving the car during the winter), and if so any recommendations as to a good tire? Also, do they salt the roads around here? That really worries me. Thank you in advance for any assistance

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Having lived in Southern California for 60 years, I’ve never had to consider the use of winter tires. Now I live just south of Charlotte. My 2019 R came with summer tires. As fall is now here, does anyone in the greater Charlotte area have any recommendations for or against the need for winter tires (I will be driving the car during the winter), and if so any recommendations as to a good tire? Also, do they salt the roads around here? That really worries me. Thank you in advance for any assistance

Conti DWS 06 are good if you’re gonna keep a separate set for summer.

They don’t salt here much, but unfortunately they brine (salt water which is a million times worse). Just wash the car often and you’ll be fine. I periodically pull all four fender liners and clean underneath and at 80k miles my 2016 has zero rust

Luckily the whole world shuts down with just a forecast of accumulation so chances are you won’t have much reason to be out in it much.

I ran summer only tires year around the last two years, but below 50* F they start to get slick and around 20* F they might as well be hockey pucks. If you drive carefully it’s still not ideal so my vote is for a second set. I recently scored DWS on some Alzors for $100 & my beat up OEM Austin’s (car was going to the junkyard anyway)

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I've ran nothing but summer tires for almost a decade here in Charlotte.

About the only time it's dicey is early in the morning, by afternoon it's generally warmed up enough to not be an issue. My commute is about 10 miles, all city driving. I just don't drive like an ass when it gets really cold and I'm on my way to work.

To echo Jake, the city shuts down at the mere forecast of snow. I don't think I've seen actual snow accumulation in probably 4-5 years in Waxhaw. Sadly, it always seems to cut north or south of us.

I've thought about picking up a set of AS tires, but I've just never been motivated. Since school will inevitably get cancelled, either my wife or I have to work from home, so I'd just use her car if I had to venture out.

No salt, and there is a limited number of plows, but the brine they put down makes a mess.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Thank You for the info. I think I’ll stand by on the winter tire purchase for now, as keep the cars underside clean as possible b

You definitely don't need winter tires, maybe all seasons.

January is the coldest month, with average lows around 30 and average highs around 50 with around 4" of snow a year.

Weather data from Charlotte-Douglas is available here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_North_Carolina