GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New mk7 owner need advice on which tune to get

The Messiah

Ready to race!
I spoke with the tech at my vw dealer they perform apr tunes and he said it will not void the warranty because it is being offered and performed by a vw dealer and the ecu isn't being taken out So if your vw dealer does tunes you should be fine that's the route im definetely going with
In your case the obvious way to go is an APR tune at your dealer. Eurodyne is a good 2nd option and maybe even better would be the JB4 when it's release. It's pure plug and play and never alters the ECU (it just intercepts signals). It requires some work to install and uninstall.

I had a JB3 on my N54 and I never even removed it when taking it to the dealer (I would just switch it to map 0 which would cause all signals to pass right through the piggyback chip without any alterations).

My experience and understanding is that these tunes are safe. However, if you are worried about mechanicals or warranties, it might not be worth your worries.

As for the MkVII GTi it appears that VW knows there's something wrong with the turbos, and all cases we've seen reported here were fully covered (at least in the US). All tuned cars were tuned back to stock before going to the dealer.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Although not proven my understanding is that the factory has a full proof method of detecting that the ECU has been written too regardless if it is stock at the time or not. It is not as simple as zeroing flash counters anymore or having stock software on it. The factory is always one step ahead and end of the day dealers will help customers at the expense of the factory.
Also keep in mind that the Audi document is to cover all models and not the new gen specifically.
I think we will only know with certainty if the flashing back to stock is safe if a software update for the cars is ever released and then the car needs to be flashed by the factory with the update.
Another interesting part of the it says you must go online and check specified vs actual data. In the old days this could mean part of the hex code for boost targets etc. but in BMW terms this means specified boost vs max boost achieved since the introduction of FASTA data which is a hard data logging system that runs on the car with various trigger points including boost, rpm and max speed. If this has been adopted by Continental Seimens onto the VAG platform there will be interesting times ahead in terms of tuning.

The Messiah

Ready to race!
Another interesting part of the it says you must go online and check specified vs actual data. In the old days this could mean part of the hex code for boost targets etc. but in BMW terms this means specified boost vs max boost achieved since the introduction of FASTA data which is a hard data logging system that runs on the car with various trigger points including boost, rpm and max speed. If this has been adopted by Continental Seimens onto the VAG platform there will be interesting times ahead in terms of tuning.
Pffftt....haha. Yeah, once they look at logged max boost vs specified I guess it's game over (whatever that means). Besides that though I am thinking more and more a piggyback like the JB4 or Uni is the 'safer' alternative.

But I don't care about the warranty (specifically now since there are known problems with the turbo and Audi issued a recall on the same engines). I don't hold it against VW that they don't issue a recall and I also don't think people should feel entitled to tune their cars. If you are worried about it you just shouldn't tune. Pay to play and all that.

I got a good deal at my dealer (2nd GTi we bought from them), have a good relationship with them and would recommend them to anyone (straight up, no BS and honest people). And I can always hold the promise of an R down the line over their head if I get any warranty issues :D

With the R I might try out the JB4. I'm sure by then it will be widely available and the turbo issues should be resolved too.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't tuned mine yet, but I would go Eurodyne since I hear it still has that linear powerband. I came from an APR stage 1 mk6, and it doesn't have that stock linear feel, it feels more like an electric car when passing someone on highway. It dies off at 5k rpm when you push it.

witsbusa

Ready to race!
Keep in mind that APR has adjusted its tune for more linear power delivery and to reduce or eliminate the top end fall off that appeared to be present in earlier tune versions..

still no at home flash capability though, unfortunately..

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
The real question is when will the jb4 be available? And what kind of hp gains are we going to expect to see? generally speaking, you aren't getting the crazy 90-100hp gains from a piggy back system correct? 30-50hp max?

APR asap my dealer support ABT and its shit
people used to tune APR or REVO from a tuning dealer some ship there ECU to kuwait or uae to get unitronic ( pretty solid tune ) or pp-prformance ( shitty tune and desler ) or simon & eurodyn