GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2016 gti nav data won't load

N10S

Ready to race!
Just bought a new 2016 gti, when I took delivery the car didn't have the nav data sd pack in the glove box. The dealership was able to find a 2015/2016 gti sd card, but the data does not seem to load. I have tried two different cards from two different 2016 autobahns, but no luck with either.

The display reflects that it sees the card inserted with navigation data, but then drops back to a dialogue box stating that a device with navigation data needs to be inserted. The music sd works fine as does the rest of the head unit including the navigation using android auto.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

N10S

Ready to race!
Here is an update for anyone that might have a similar issue. After trying several other nav sd cards from other brand new 2016 gti's at the dealership I was unable to get any to load nav data properly. After that the dealer spent a day trying to reprogram the head unit but no luck. They had a case open for tech support but could not get any call back that day.

So at that point I took the car home and then set up a service for this morning. I did request that since my brand new car did not have a nav card case/sd card when I purchased the car, that they needed to make sure and order one for me before I would schedule the car in. They agreed and today when I took the car in, the service manager mentioned that they had received a new nav card and also had tech support queued up to assist in troubleshooting.

Before I could get my loaner paperwork signed the service manager walked up to tell me that the car had accepted the new card though the standard loading process, and the car was ready to go!

Interestingly during my previous visit, one of the techs had mentioned running into a similar issue with another new gti, and that the only way they could get it resolved was by ordering in a brand new card.

At any rate I am glad to have my nav working finally.

This is a guess, but does your car have the MIB 2 nav system? Just got my 2016 GTi, which replaced a 2014 GTD. Both had nav - the GTD had MIB 1, the GTi has MIB 2. There are significant differences in the way each of them works, including routes calculated. The MIB 2 has the larger, higher resolution, screen and is much faster to boot up and to calculate routes. All this suggests that the information on the SD card may be different too, so I'm guessing that the other cards you tried were for the older MIB 1 system - valid cards, but not able to support the newer unit in your car.

N10S

Ready to race!
The dealer pulled two different nav cards from other brand new 2016 autobahns, that came in a week after I purchased mine. I watched them pull these cards from the gloveboxes of the other cars, and both cars were brand new and still had the plastic wrap on them. Neither nav sd card worked. The only difference was that those two cars were both dsg cars and mine is a 6mt.

blackrhino32

This is exactly what is happening to me except the newly ordered nav card did not work either. Just curious if you ever got any more information on what card version was needed or if they needed to somehow do a reset to make it work? Thanks.