GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Mk7 GTD Remap

mon2s

Ready to race!
mon2s, when you bought you ECU upgrade from CC Tuning did they mention (or was there any consideration given to) the maximum torque that a manual GTD gearbox could handle? Can't seem to find any reference to it anywhere on the CC Tuning web site.

Hi, No, I'm not aware of the limit but IMO it would be the clutch, not the gearbox on a manual that would be the weak point and as I'm not generally a traffic light racer, it should be happily able to cope. I think the standard clutches are pretty decent - my last Golf did 120000 miles on its original clutch.

But having said that, I've just come across this on another thread;

The MQ350/02Q gearbox and 240 mm clutch was originally designed for 350 Nm of torque
maximum.
Both the GTD and R now already come with 380 Nm (peak is about 400 Nm) from factory.
This is no less than "on the edge". There is no headroom left.

That's why you'll need a new/stronger clutch sooner or later. Believe it or experience it on
yourself.

Last edited:

aew003

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, No, I'm not aware of the limit but IMO it would be the clutch, not the gearbox on a manual that would be the weak point and as I'm not generally a traffic light racer, it should be happily able to cope. I think the standard clutches are pretty decent - my last Golf did 120000 miles on its original clutch.

But having said that, I've just come across this on another thread;

Thank you! I'm no green light racer either so wouldn't be hammering the clutch either.

Harrison

Passed Driver's Ed
So does this mean the remap is likely to damage the clutch?

mon2s

Ready to race!
So does this mean the remap is likely to damage the clutch?

It might well have a shorter life as it is handling more power. Depends if you are hard on clutches anyway. A standard clutch might wear out after a couple or three years with some drivers whereas others will last 5 or 6 years.

Harrison

Passed Driver's Ed
It might well have a shorter life as it is handling more power. Depends if you are hard on clutches anyway. A standard clutch might wear out after a couple or three years with some drivers whereas others will last 5 or 6 years.

Cheers.

Is that the same with the DSG?

mon2s

Ready to race!
Cheers.

Is that the same with the DSG?

Every part will be under more stress than a standard tune car so there is more risk of component failure. However unless you rag it constantly, I doubt there would be any major issue but it is always a bit more of a gamble than keeping it standard - as is stated earlier in the thread, Nick from Carbon ran a Mk7 GTD for 40k during development of this remap without any issues.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Hi All,

Just a very quick update the GTD has been faultless & the remap great. But I still have the R in the back of my mind :eek::eek: Going back to the early 90's fast Audi estates RS4, RS6's always made me smile. Fond memories racing a RS4 in my Lancia Delta & it leaving me for dust :p.

I have never had the same car twice & I'm really strughling with the decission. The same again, but up spec. Or get a Golf R Estate with a remap.

Guy's please help!!!!!

Rappy:D

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Bit like the GTI/GTD/R comes with a reworked version of the DQ250; Id wager the manual gearbox and clutch is beefed up a bit to ensure longevity. I cant see VAG putting components into a car that are already being pushed beyond recommended tollerances.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Hi All,

Just a very quick update the GTD has been faultless & the remap great. But I still have the R in the back of my mind :eek::eek: Going back to the early 90's fast Audi estates RS4, RS6's always made me smile. Fond memories racing a RS4 in my Lancia Delta & it leaving me for dust :p.

I have never had the same car twice & I'm really strughling with the decission. The same again, but up spec. Or get a Golf R Estate with a remap.

Guy's please help!!!!!

Rappy:D

In your position I wouldn't go to an R - you clearly like your cars - you like the difference experiences they give you - the R is special... but it looks to me you enjoy cars and everything they offer. If you're as mad as me, then you probably enjoy it even when they give you base spec courtesy car for something :)

That said... Golf R Estate with a remap... That's appealing - that's slightly leftfield and I like it.

What I find is... well.... I can always want another car, I love cars, always have and if I had the money and even less sense, I'd change every year :) It's a dangerous addiction :)

But the R Estate - interesting :)

James

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Thanks James:D.

I cant fault the Golf one bit & the remap made it more of a drivers car. Not going off topic here about my current GTD:eek:.

The Mk7 Golf is the most complete car I have owned. Hence, looking at staying with the Golf brand.

I never keep my cars past 3 yrs, so it will be going 2016/2017. I do really like the carbon colour & another GTD could well be on order.

Whatever I have next, it will be a German car.

Rappy:cool:

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
But I still have the R in the back of my mind :eek::eek:

I looked into swapping my GTD for a R earlier this year and decided against it. 6 months down the line and I'm considering it again.

I love my GTD, but I really want the R. Just comes down to money and getting a good price really.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I looked into swapping my GTD for a R earlier this year and decided against it. 6 months down the line and I'm considering it again.

I love my GTD, but I really want the R. Just comes down to money and getting a good price really.

Yes same here, hence the remap. My mate is going to buy my GTD but we need to agree on a price. I have said available 2017, which fits in with his lease deal coming to and end & suits me too.

So 2017 a 3 yr old manual GTD 5 dr in pure white with around 25k. I'm hoping for over 20k. But will see what the dealer offers px and go from there.

Rappy:cool:

Are you looking at the estate or hatch?

MJakaHips

I am jealous of your remap Rappy. My GTD is due end Sept, in a Ford Kuga currently but had the 150 MK7 TDI before so i am sure a standard GTD will be more than enough.

If only it wasnt a company lease car.. i would get the remap based on this thread alone. Dont think i'll get a remap signed off.. well at least legally. :(

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
I'm a week into my standard GTD and over the years I've been very fortunate to own some very nice cars (including two 911's), this is without doubt (911's aside) the best car I've ever owned, it's BMW quality, goes like stink and returns 40mpg, proves that you can have your cake and eat it!