GOLFMKV

Mud Flaps For Golf R Only

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed the Amazon UK flaps today. The fitment is excellent. I drilled a few holes into the flap to drain any water that might accumulate from entering the flap from above. I ended up just using the stock mounting bolts - 2 points of securement but I think it will be just fine.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Installed the Amazon UK flaps today. The fitment is excellent. I drilled a few holes into the flap to drain any water that might accumulate from entering the flap from above. I ended up just using the stock mounting bolts - 2 points of securement but I think it will be just fine.

Did you have to take the rear wheels off to do the back ones them?

I think i might follow your lead and drill holes just in case, it's starting to get cold snow should be coming soon.

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you have to take the rear wheels off to do the back ones them?

I think i might follow your lead and drill holes just in case, it's starting to get cold snow should be coming soon.

When I installed them I had all the wheels off the car because I was rotating them as well as installing an EcoHitch. I just checked now with the wheels on the car and there is -not- enough clearance in the rear to insert a Torx bit on a 1/4” ratchet. However if you had a T25 L-shaped wrench I think it would be fine, if slightly inconvenient.
A third point of securement would be ideal but it looks like sticking the provided screw through the third hole in the mudflap would only secure it to the heavy felt fabric lining the wheel well, which seems not very useful. When I looked up how factory VW mudflaps were installed on other VWs they all involved attaching clips and anchors and things that provided a third or even fourth point of attachment that were more secure than just to the heavy felt liner. So, I decided just to go with the two factory attachment points.

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
Just wanted to post up an alternative to the OEM flaps that isn't quite so Subaru trucker flap-esque. RokBlokz short profile mud flaps in black/black.

I went with these because I don't like the look of the OEM ones that break up the paint on the side of the car... makes it look a little too "rough" for me. I think this solution is a little cleaner.

They're a flat black, so they kind of disappear. They're also short, so they don't look like trucker flaps.

(yes I know my driver side rear flap is crooked - I already fixed it, but it was too late for photos).

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
When I installed them I had all the wheels off the car because I was rotating them as well as installing an EcoHitch. I just checked now with the wheels on the car and there is -not- enough clearance in the rear to insert a Torx bit on a 1/4” ratchet. However if you had a T25 L-shaped wrench I think it would be fine, if slightly inconvenient.
A third point of securement would be ideal but it looks like sticking the provided screw through the third hole in the mudflap would only secure it to the heavy felt fabric lining the wheel well, which seems not very useful. When I looked up how factory VW mudflaps were installed on other VWs they all involved attaching clips and anchors and things that provided a third or even fourth point of attachment that were more secure than just to the heavy felt liner. So, I decided just to go with the two factory attachment points.

just use this while the wheels are on the car ... worked for me without issues

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Right-Angle-Drill-Adapter-DWARA50/203867866

Awesome thanks for the information, I didn't even know that existed haha. Ordered a right-angle adapter ill just install them at home this weekend, didn't want to fart around with taking the wheels off or asking my shop to install them. Just gotta PPF the area first.

DanD_Dan

Just wanted to post up an alternative to the OEM flaps that isn't quite so Subaru trucker flap-esque. RokBlokz short profile mud flaps in black/black.

I went with these because I don't like the look of the OEM ones that break up the paint on the side of the car... makes it look a little too "rough" for me. I think this solution is a little cleaner.

They're a flat black, so they kind of disappear. They're also short, so they don't look like trucker flaps.

(yes I know my driver side rear flap is crooked - I already fixed it, but it was too late for photos).

Hi pnwbrdr,
Would you mind telling me the rim and tire size you are using in these photos?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
Hi pnwbrdr,
Would you mind telling me the rim and tire size you are using in these photos?

Thanks!
18x8. 225/40 R18. Can't recall the offset. The pa4's have a really wide tread for being 225 though. Other brand tires may look skinnier.

DanD_Dan

18x8. 225/40 R18. Can't recall the offset. The pa4's have a really wide tread for being 225 though. Other brand tires may look skinnier.

Sweet! Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I use rally armor on my Alltrack with studded Hakkepellita all around. They go on right before winter with my mounted snows, flaps off in the spring and Motegi Traklites with Firestone Firehawk back on. We have a snotty, slushy nasty winter, they are needed!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Well i finally installed mine today. The fitment is OK and i did a pretty crappy install of the PPF but it should last for the winter.

It's very stable with just the 2 original screws so i didn't bother with the third. With the right-angle screwdriver install was super quick and easy, would have been 20 minutes if i didn't spend an hour farting around with the PPF.

Overall i think they're ok looking but i definitely prefer the car without them, once winter is over i'll be taking them off for the summer. Will see if they make a noticeable difference.

MAULET

I have checked all OEM VW Golf Mk7 variant mud flaps and can confirm that none can be easily modified to fit the R.

In the UK I have found a set of 'Universal Mud Flaps' on Ebay that look easy to fit and look to have a similar look to the Rally Armor ones but they are more or less just flat rubber - but at only £8 for 4 they are not a large investment if I can not fit them
Do you have a link to them?

Enviado desde mi SM-G9650 mediante Tapatalk