GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 wipers are s**t!

dickt

Ready to race!
tom,
the wear and tear point is a lie.
You need to ask them to put that claim in writing. An e-mail will do, but a typed letter is even better.
From now on, you are dealing with a dealer who lies. Clearly, you need to put everything you say in writing, and get all their replies in writing.
Also, it is worth getting a case number by calling VW UK customer services about your complaint..
Then, add your case number to all your written letters to them.

PeteAntrim

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guy's
Bosch are working on releasing the new Mk7 Wipers as we speak, they are completly aware of the problem and have made the wipers which they say has cured the problem. Now the downside, they have to licence them to VW for 6mnths before they are able to put them on general release. off e record they say we can purchase them early Sept.
Hope this helps put a bt of clarity on the issue.
Pete

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Fantastic news Pete - I don't mind buying Aero-twins from Volkswagen as long as I can get Aero-Twins. I don't take delivery of my Mk.7 until October in any case, so that suits me fine.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

jimble1

Ready to race!
I emailed VW customer services to ask if the wipers issue was being addressed? They said they've had "a couple of reports" and to to let them know if my car does it when it arrives, i said the reason i sent the email was to stop it happening to my car!!! I don't want to wait 7 months for it and then it be in and out of the dealers! As usual they weren't very helpful, although it does sound like they are aware.

Becks

Ready to race!
I emailed VW customer services to ask if the wipers issue was being addressed? They said they've had "a couple of reports" and to to let them know if my car does it when it arrives.

My last experience with VW was a 1987 GTI 16V. I loved that car, and have been waiting a looooong time to get back into a VW GTI. The MK7 is awesome.
However, it is exactly the response that Jimble got from VW that makes me very cautious of VW. Their customer service just plain Sucks to put it bluntly.

I'm still a year away from looking at 1 as they don't arrive in the states until next year. Although this wiper issue is not catastrophic, it certainly is a pain in the arse, and will be watched closely to see how VW handles it. Customer Service stating to Jimble that they have had a "couple of reports" does not bold well for me. It would appear that 26 years later their Customer Service is still unacceptable. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My last experience with VW was a 1987 GTI 16V. I loved that car, and have been waiting a looooong time to get back into a VW GTI. The MK7 is awesome.
However, it is exactly the response that Jimble got from VW that makes me very cautious of VW. Their customer service just plain Sucks to put it bluntly.

I'm still a year away from looking at 1 as they don't arrive in the states until next year. Although this wiper issue is not catastrophic, it certainly is a pain in the arse, and will be watched closely to see how VW handles it. Customer Service stating to Jimble that they have had a "couple of reports" does not bold well for me. It would appear that 26 years later their Customer Service is still unacceptable. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm on the MK6 forum, and customer service can vary widely according to the dealer.
For the most part members on the MK6 forum have very good experiences.
Only a couple seem to hit bad ones, and those people are given the suggestion to go to another dealer.

My MK6 has had no issues in the 2 1/2 years I've had it.
I've only been to the dealer for scheduled maint., and my experience with that has been excellent.
Follow up Emails from the dealer asking if everything went well etc.

cj1957

Had my Mk6 4 years and always found the service really good. Never a problem getting things booked in or put right. Worst ever was Renault - didn't matter which one I tried, they just didn't care.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Had my Mk6 4 years and always found the service really good. Never a problem getting things booked in or put right. Worst ever was Renault - didn't matter which one I tried, they just didn't care.

Ditto that, no problems whatsoever with my dealer in the three years with my Mk.6, but I too had a Renault before the Mk.6, Renault dealer treatment was horrific, never ever will I darken their door again.

Visoflex

Passed Driver's Ed
From VW tech services.

I ordered my car at the end of June, and it is scheduled for build at the end of August, so I should probably see it at the end of September. Given the flak surrounding the windscreen wipers, I asked VW if the issue had been investigated and if a fix had been identified. Part of their reply pasted here.

"...I have spoken with our Technical Support Team with regards to your
query. The performance of the windscreen wipers can be affected by variances in the curvature of the windscreen. In the event
that you find the wipers to be inadequate when your Golf is delivered, we would offer an optimised version at no extra cost. In
this scenario, please speak directly with your Volkswagen Retailer who would be happy to make arrangements for the wipers to be
changed."

Hmmm - we shall see. Interesting use of the word "optimised". Also, wouldn't it be better just to fit these as standard and negate the problem in the first place?

So, if you have a problem with the wipers clearing the screen, simply go to your retailer and ask for a set of "optimised" wipers!

Last edited:

marvin1

Ready to race!
What a load of old tosh all this is. We have a brand new car on a new platform, tested under the most prolonged and rigorous conditions and yet the wipers might not clear the screen properly unless 'optimised'.
I certainly won't be placing my order, until such time that reports of this problem is history - probably when the next updated version is announced.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
What does "optimised mean?"
Bent into shape?

Things like this baffle me.
I mean, how much testing would VW need to do to realize that the wipers often fail to do their job?

Matrick

Passed Driver's Ed
I must be lucky, my wipers are absolutely fine. Maybe I had the optimised (!) ones from day one.