GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Dumb ass question. The Alltrack has included maintenance and I just it in for the 30k service. They found a leaking rear shock so they'll swap it under warranty - but - shouldn't they replace both?

Bonus question - will they (should they) do an alignment? I've always done a 4 wheel alignment after shocks, but I have no clue what the dealer does. Why am I asking? I normally swap over to winters now and get an alignment (lifetime at Firestone), but if the dealer will do the alignment, then I can skip Firestone and just take the wheels to the dealer.
The dealer will likely only replace the broken shock. They won't replace something proactively because they can't bill that out to warranty. You'll just have to ask ahead of time on the alignment. You'd think they would, but when I had a rear strut assy replaced under warranty they did not show me an alignment sheet afterwards so I'm not sure. Just need to communicate with them on that and if they do then just ask for the alignment report.

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
@EpicTech i have been looking at the RSR Hybrid clutch that is compatible with the stock DMF.. rated at 400 plus.. do you have to replace the flywheel when your in there or is it just recommended??(like the RMS)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Anyone else having issues with speed of this website with posting or refreshing on their phone through safari?

Friggin takes forever to post/quote/load….

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Anyone else having issues with speed of this website with posting or refreshing on their phone through safari?

Friggin takes forever to post/quote/load….
Yes, it has been like that for a while now.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I still want a Scirocco or MK4 R32.
@EpicTech i have been looking at the RSR Hybrid clutch that is compatible with the stock DMF.. rated at 400 plus.. do you have to replace the flywheel when your in there or is it just recommended??(like the RMS)
You replace the flywheel if the clutch you purchase calls for a compatible clutch. Most will say whether or not they are compatible with the OEM DMF. I am on a ACT clutch kit, which converts me to a SMF. My kit includes their SMF, pressure plate, TOB and disc. It is more pricey this way, but I like the revving characteristics of the SMF better, so I just get the clutch kit.

cb1111

The dealer will likely only replace the broken shock. They won't replace something proactively because they can't bill that out to warranty. You'll just have to ask ahead of time on the alignment. You'd think they would, but when I had a rear strut assy replaced under warranty they did not show me an alignment sheet afterwards so I'm not sure. Just need to communicate with them on that and if they do then just ask for the alignment report.
Thanks. Yeah, that is what I figured too.

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
So I upgraded my 2015 GTI autobahn to the MIB2.5 with the 9” screen for Apple CarPlay
When I go into CarPlay it shows things like dominoes pizza
How do I remove that app and add other apps like Waze?

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Brake question. Last sunday, my brakes went out a few blocks from home. Limped home using the E brake and discovered the passenger side front line had come loose and rubbed against the wheel and was leaking. Lost a bunch of fluid. Had to wait five days for the new line to show up. Changed lines and fluid on friday. Bled in the correct order and the brakes feel solid (312 rotors with prodigywerks four piston) but there’s now a solenoid-ish sound (one click when I push the brake pedal and one or two when I let go) coming from the drivers side front when I did a slow speed drive around the block. Could it be a loose pad? Is it the ABS? My plan was to activate the ABS tomorrow and bleed again but don’t want to damage anything.

supergrine

Typically just old and crusty bearing grease. CV shafts have needle/roller bearings and that grease gets old, like everything. No need for a new axle. You can just clean it and go.
I have the same situation as @hans611. To be clear, WE DON'T need new CV axles? They are so expensive new, and used -- well, who knows. All we really need to do is disassemble, clean the grease, add new grease, and put it all back together? That's my prayer come true. Thx!

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I have the same situation as @hans611. To be clear, WE DON'T need new CV axles? They are so expensive new, and used -- well, who knows. All we really need to do is disassemble, clean the grease, add new grease, and put it all back together? That's my prayer come true. Thx!

From what I understood is that a bit of grease always comes out like that? I did as he said lol, cleaned it and will check it out again in a few months.... Ill need to do the haldex in a few months, so I will also ask my indy shop then....

Is yours like that too? coming out of the axle itself where it joins the transmission case, not from the cv boot? I have had a CV boot tear and leak grease everywhere but never this way....

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Brake question. Last sunday, my brakes went out a few blocks from home. Limped home using the E brake and discovered the passenger side front line had come loose and rubbed against the wheel and was leaking. Lost a bunch of fluid. Had to wait five days for the new line to show up. Changed lines and fluid on friday. Bled in the correct order and the brakes feel solid (312 rotors with prodigywerks four piston) but there’s now a solenoid-ish sound (one click when I push the brake pedal and one or two when I let go) coming from the drivers side front when I did a slow speed drive around the block. Could it be a loose pad? Is it the ABS? My plan was to activate the ABS tomorrow and bleed again but
Update. The noise is coming from the caliper or maybe the line. It's a squeak when the brakes are applied and released.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ULZd8IJIYw8?feature=shared

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT