GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Can you update your information/entertainment software without messing with engine/Tune settings?

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
@bobloblawGTI Thank you for your feedback - on my 17’ GTI (47k) it says update software and I’ve been hesitant to ask VW about it cause I’m APR stage 1- but cool 😎 thanks!

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Hi all, back with more potentially stupid questions.

Question the first. I've just filled my tank and there is a strong smell of diesel in the boot and occasionally in the cabin, usually after opening the door. Thoughts on the cause of this? I've never had this on other cars and it seems odd, but this is the first time I've filled her up.

Question the second. Went to get in today and the car wouldn't unlock. Opened the door by removing the bit on the handle, put the key in the ignition and turned it with no reaction at all. No lights, nothing. Absolutely dead. I'm going to get the AA out tomorrow for a jump. I'm hoping the battery has just given up the ghost, but is there anything I should look out for? There have been no warning signs of a dying battery at all.

Thanks in advance.
I’d start by checking the battery cables, and then the battery for a charge. Make sure the cables aren’t corroded or loose.

Not sure on the smell.

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
Question the first. I've just filled my tank and there is a strong smell of diesel in the boot and occasionally in the cabin, usually after opening the door. Thoughts on the cause of this? I've never had this on other cars and it seems odd, but this is the first time I've filled her up.

I have had this, usually caused by stepping in a Diesel spill by the pump.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
@maxwell re your turbo drama...interesting how the warranty bits are so subjective/dealer specific, I know of several folks running tunes that had them replaced under warranty. Oh well - perfect time to upgrade!

1) The IS12 does have a replaceable WG, it's the same WG as the IS20 but why bother. You can buy a replacement WG from CTS I believe. VW doesn't replace them, they do the whole turbo.
2) A used IS20 is clearly the budget-leader here - it was what I started out with but ended up with an IS38.
3) You are going to need a clutch eventually. I suggest the IS38 is easier on the clutch b/c the low-end punch isn't as abrupt as the 20 during around-town use. Can always limp by for a while but you won't enjoy that new turbo as much.
4) Stick with APR - you already have it and the upgrade is the lowest cost option. The APR IS20/38 tunes work great for so many people with the 1.8 wagons.
5) Replace your plugs/gap/whatever APR recommends.
6) IC/DP are always a good thing to do here, I think however APR makes a non-DP IS38 file. Can also do a stock R DP for no-drama emissions testing, should be plenty of used ones for sale.

Adam

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not Uni.

Sneaky, EQT, or APR (if they still over stage 3).

Edit: no Cobb, didn’t see you were 1.8t.
Uni makes a great aggressive tune for the 1.8 4Mo wagons, in fact I think I have the fastest 1/4 OTS tuned wagon in the Dragy spreadsheet. I know the GTI crew poopoos Uni but on the wagons they are solid.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Uni makes a great aggressive tune for the 1.8 4Mo wagons, in fact I think I have the fastest 1/4 OTS tuned wagon in the Dragy spreadsheet. I know the GTI crew poopoos Uni but on the wagons they are solid.
Agreed, I thought the OP had a 2.0T

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
@maxwell re your turbo drama...interesting how the warranty bits are so subjective/dealer specific, I know of several folks running tunes that had them replaced under warranty. Oh well - perfect time to upgrade!

1) The IS12 does have a replaceable WG, it's the same WG as the IS20 but why bother. You can buy a replacement WG from CTS I believe. VW doesn't replace them, they do the whole turbo.
2) A used IS20 is clearly the budget-leader here - it was what I started out with but ended up with an IS38.
3) You are going to need a clutch eventually. I suggest the IS38 is easier on the clutch b/c the low-end punch isn't as abrupt as the 20 during around-town use. Can always limp by for a while but you won't enjoy that new turbo as much.
4) Stick with APR - you already have it and the upgrade is the lowest cost option. The APR IS20/38 tunes work great for so many people with the 1.8 wagons.
5) Replace your plugs/gap/whatever APR recommends.
6) IC/DP are always a good thing to do here, I think however APR makes a non-DP IS38 file. Can also do a stock R DP for no-drama emissions testing, should be plenty of used ones for sale.

Adam
Thanks for the reply man. I went IS20 for now and I am looking at a DM TTRS option vs a SM Soutbend option. I may go TTRS to retain DM and eliminate extra wear on the thrust bearing.

I went is20 for now. Hate it if you want, but this gets me back ASAP on otherwise stock components. I couldn't stomach just putting another is12 in there for the ~same price. I'll address IC and clutch as needed. Listen, people can poo-poo the decision all day long, but I had been waffling hard with the car. I love it... but I did not feel a need to spend more money on it for what it was, as I would have rather spent the money towards a new summer car versus stage 3 (DP/Turbo/IC/clutch/retune). I liked it where it was as a stage 1 daily with great suspension. I've got a great local mechanic who is swapping the turbo for me today, and i'll be reflashing the car to is20/no DP APR tune tomorrow and netting a healthy jump in HP/TQ. I have no problem stomaching the repair cost here. Pay to play on a tune. So... net of all this is... bittersweet, but I get some more power out of it, and a very linear upgrade path on IC/clutch that I don't need to address ASAP.

In the meantime, I also just put a deposit down on a new Tacoma TRD Offroad 6mt in lunar rock at below MSRP. I've needed a truck for a while. Stoked.

I'll be enjoying the wagon through the summer, and ensuring the clutch/IC is taken care of, then possibly either keeping the wagon, or selling it later this year for a dedicated summer toy opposite the tacoma.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the reply man. I went IS20 for now and I am looking at a DM TTRS option vs a SM Soutbend option. I may go TTRS to retain DM and eliminate extra wear on the thrust bearing.

I went is20 for now. Hate it if you want, but this gets me back ASAP on otherwise stock components. I couldn't stomach just putting another is12 in there for the ~same price. I'll address IC and clutch as needed. Listen, people can poo-poo the decision all day long, but I had been waffling hard with the car. I love it... but I did not feel a need to spend more money on it for what it was, as I would have rather spent the money towards a new summer car versus stage 3 (DP/Turbo/IC/clutch/retune). I liked it where it was as a stage 1 daily with great suspension. I've got a great local mechanic who is swapping the turbo for me today, and i'll be reflashing the car to is20/no DP APR tune tomorrow and netting a healthy jump in HP/TQ. I have no problem stomaching the repair cost here. Pay to play on a tune. So... net of all this is... bittersweet, but I get some more power out of it, and a very linear upgrade path on IC/clutch that I don't need to address ASAP.

In the meantime, I also just put a deposit down on a new Tacoma TRD Offroad 6mt in lunar rock at below MSRP. I've needed a truck for a while. Stoked.

I'll be enjoying the wagon through the summer, and ensuring the clutch/IC is taken care of, then possibly either keeping the wagon, or selling it later this year for a dedicated summer toy opposite the tacoma.
Not hating at all, the IS20 is a great upgrade and gives the most bang for buck on our cars. Bolts up with the stock DP/IC and send it. You'll be so shocked at how fun that wagon is with the IS20.

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Haven't spent much time on it, haven't noticed much...really hoping some of the bugs are gone.
If the unresponsive volume adjustment after plugging in a phone is fixed, it's worth it.