GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Hey All

How come the AC turns on when i hit the re-circulate button? Setting is set to blow at the face and fan is on Speed 1.

Kinda annoying when you just want to hit the recirculate button when you drive through a stinky area....

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
What does everyone do with their stock downpipes after upgrading?

I plan to keep it on hand for a while after installing the performance downpipe, but after a while, is there somewhere I can sell it or get cash for recycling the cat?

Micah247

Ready to race!
Hey All

How come the AC turns on when i hit the re-circulate button? Setting is set to blow at the face and fan is on Speed 1.

Kinda annoying when you just want to hit the recirculate button when you drive through a stinky area....

Your compressor needs to run occasionally to circulate the refrigerant as a lubricant. Even in the winter, so this is an easy way to accomplish that.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hey All

Why is it annoying? It also auto comes on when you switch to the defogger setting. It's not robbing you of power unless you are asking it to really cool things down. The compressors don't have clutches like the old ones, rather they are constantly engaged and don't start creating pressure until the variable vane moves to allow them too (simplified explanation).

Your compressor needs to run occasionally to circulate the refrigerant as a lubricant. Even in the winter, so this is an easy way to accomplish that.

The refrigerant charge and the A/C oil (lubricant) are actually two different things, they just both go in the same place. That's not really why it turns on the A/C with recirc, the owners manual actually explains why (don't have it with me), but a logical thought for sure.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
What does everyone do with their stock downpipes after upgrading?

I plan to keep it on hand for a while after installing the performance downpipe, but after a while, is there somewhere I can sell it or get cash for recycling the cat?

Are you under warranty? Keep it. If you sell it and you need warranty work with anything that involves the DP you will need to go back to stock. They are expensive if you need to buy new in a hurry otherwise used ones are pretty cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016

So this is normal? Is there away to stop this? I use AC plenty but i dont need it to turn on when I want to block off stinky smells from outside...

Joe-MK7

How do you "manuallly adjust" the headlight beam/pattern?

I own a facoty fitted 5G TDI bluemotion 150 and would be following the adjustment guide on VCDS also, but do you manually adjust them using the hex bolts on top of the headlights, then ask VCDS to "remember the manual adjustment" setting?

So confusing sometimes. Haha thank youuu.

Joe :eek:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
How do you "manuallly adjust" the headlight beam/pattern?

I own a facoty fitted 5G TDI bluemotion 150 and would be following the adjustment guide on VCDS also, but do you manually adjust them using the hex bolts on top of the headlights, then ask VCDS to "remember the manual adjustment" setting?

So confusing sometimes. Haha thank youuu.

Joe :eek:

Use VCDS to put them in adjustment mode (assuming you have adaptive lights), if you just have the basic halogens then no need for VCDS at all. Then adjust them manually using the adjustment screws (hex bolts). Then you VCDS to leave adjustment mode. I don't remember the names for the actual settings unfortunately.

Joe-MK7

Use VCDS to put them in adjustment mode (assuming you have adaptive lights), if you just have the basic halogens then no need for VCDS at all. Then adjust them manually using the adjustment screws (hex bolts). Then you VCDS to leave adjustment mode. I don't remember the names for the actual settings unfortunately.

Yes, apologises and to confirm - I have complete factory standard HID'S / Ballasts & not Halogens.

Open VCDS, Headlights on, go to adjustment mode or "adapt", manually adjust then VCDS + then request VCDS to remember the new position / click save/done?

Wish me luck :D

danjlambert

Passed Driver's Ed
Stupid question coming up regarding the few first minutes of my car/engine start...

I have a manual GTI pp with a club sport muffler. When I start the car, I usually leave it for a minute (the exhaust runs louder) and then it drops off a little.

Yesterday, curiously I revved quite hard during this initial period and I my car popped and gargled beautifully. After the warm up stage (I presume) I can no longer make it pop/gargle etc.

I guess my two questions are...

Does this damage the engine in anyway?
How can I make it gargle more?

Thanks everyone

cb1111

Stupid question coming up regarding the few first minutes of my car/engine start...

I have a manual GTI pp with a club sport muffler. When I start the car, I usually leave it for a minute (the exhaust runs louder) and then it drops off a little.

Yesterday, curiously I revved quite hard during this initial period and I my car popped and gargled beautifully. After the warm up stage (I presume) I can no longer make it pop/gargle etc.

Does this damage the engine in anyway? YES
How can I make it gargle more? add Listerine?

Thanks everyone

You should never rev a cold engine

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Pretty sure the intake valves and the SAI are wide open upon cold starting.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Does this damage the engine in anyway?
How can I make it gargle more?

Thanks everyone

Yeah don't do this... A small rev up to like 2 or 3k won't hurt but don't rev it hard

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk