GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Correctamundo. When I got my own Mk7 SE way back in 2013, one of the first Mk7's in the UK, I too actually thought it was fault, neither dealer nor VW knew for sure whether it was supposed to happen. Only confirmed it as a feature from watching loads of press test drives on Youtube, they do 'all do that'....

dub_guy

Ready to race!
So, does turning the headlamp off supposedly make the turn signal more visible?

Yes. There is a law somewhere that I saw that states, IIRC, that if the DRL is within 10cm of the turn signal it needs to dim when the turn signal is activated.

This has been happening on all cars for quite a few years now.

cb1111

Yes. There is a law somewhere that I saw that states, IIRC, that if the DRL is within 10cm of the turn signal it needs to dim when the turn signal is activated.

This has been happening on all cars for quite a few years now.
Correct. From FMVSS 108:

DRLs

S6.1.1.4 Daytime running lamps. Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) in accordance with S7.10.5.

S7.10.10.1 Spacing to turn signal lamps. Each DRL not optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be located on the vehicle so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm unless,

(a) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 cd at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets 2.5 times the base front turn signal photometric requirements, or

(b) The DRL is optically combined with a lower beam headlamp and the turn signal lamp meets 2.5 times the base front turn signal photometric requirements, or

(c) The DRL is deactivated when the turn signal or hazard warning signal lamp is activated.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Foot on brake? If manual, clutch in all the way? I remember after installing a clutch stop I was having intermittent starting issues until I adjusted the bolt on the backside of the clutch stop.

Does it happen with the JB1 disconnected? I occasionally got that with the JB4, but never since removing it.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So, does turning the headlamp off supposedly make the turn signal more visible?

The rationale is, it supposedly makes the turn indicator more noticeable.

You can use OBD11 to dim the DRL and not turn off completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blergrd

Ready to race!
Lowering vs rear sway bar? Lowering bar + rear sway bar? I have some Emmanuelle springs and was wondering if i should get a rsb and do both while I'm tinkering away on my days off?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Maybe my question belongs here... Sometimes when I start my car it does not start, perhaps I'm doing something stupid/wrong? It's push to start. Half the time I have to press the button twice or trice for it to start.

Mine does that, too. It seems like it happens mostly when I'm rushing.

I've found that if I get in the car, shut the door, put my foot on the brake for a second, and *then* press the start button, it works pretty much without issue. It's like it needs to initialize once the brake pedal is pressed...

nype

Drag Racing Champion
The 034 insert bends. Go with the BFI stage 1 insert.

Until you stiffen up the dog bone short shift and won't be as responsive IMO

Or APR steel insert?

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Not letting dealer wash the car

Howdy, so I just ordered an Autobahn, and I am pumped.

I see that some owners have instructed the dealer not to wash the car as part of the PDI as they don't want an inexperienced person to take a brush, or whatever, to the new paint.

Being an anal OCD I can appreciate this, but then if it comes in dirty, and not washed, how can one see any discoloration, scratches, swirls, problems etc.

Maybe I should just wash it at the dealers myself - not going to happen.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Howdy, so I just ordered an Autobahn, and I am pumped.

I see that some owners have instructed the dealer not to wash the car as part of the PDI as they don't want an inexperienced person to take a brush, or whatever, to the new paint.

Being an anal OCD I can appreciate this, but then if it comes in dirty, and not washed, how can one see any discoloration, scratches, swirls, problems etc.

Maybe I should just wash it at the dealers myself - not going to happen.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Drive through a touchless on your test drive if they don't have one.

geo_mk7

Anyone know why my car maxes out at 124MPH?
Mods I currently have;
- Turbo Muffler Delete
- Exhaust Muffler Delete
I know I have gotten much higher when my car was completely stock.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Anyone know why my car maxes out at 124MPH?
Mods I currently have;
- Turbo Muffler Delete
- Exhaust Muffler Delete
I know I have gotten much higher when my car was completely stock.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Speed limiter/governor. You'll need an ECU tune to remove it

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk