GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Depends on what you're calling the redline. The striped redline at 6k isn't really the redline. True redline is 7250rpm I believe - the solid part of the redline. I don't believe the ecu/tcu on the dsg cars will let you "money shift" and exceed the true redline. 37k miles and done it a few times on accident...no issues here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can money shift a DSG car, it's hard to do, but can be done. One can play around the redline but don't make it a habit. Besides, power falls off about 5500-5800 rpm so running it all the way out to redline really doesn't give you anything.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
experimenting with the new car...2017 GTI sport. It has the upgraded lights (awesome!) but on the front there are two sets of lights. I have not seen the inner set on. I do see a few dots that seem decorative but never any real light. This includes the outer U shaped ring that on the outer set is the DRLS.

Normal or am I missing something?

There is bulb where the LED dots are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
You can money shift a DSG car, it's hard to do, but can be done. One can play around the redline but don't make it a habit. Besides, power falls off about 5500-5800 rpm so running it all the way out to redline really doesn't give you anything.
I'll trust you on the money shift, since I'm not gonna go try it...lol. Revving to redline will typically put you more squarely in the power band in the next gear...helpful if you're running it down the drag strip or something. But I agree there is very little to be gained on the street by wringing it out past about 5800.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I'll trust you on the money shift, since I'm not gonna go try it...lol. Revving to redline will typically put you more squarely in the power band in the next gear...helpful if you're running it down the drag strip or something. But I agree there is very little to be gained on the street by wringing it out past about 5800.

I agree on the power band thing, I agree these engines in stock form don't need to be revved to redline to stay in the power in any gear below 5th and 6th. You can shift at 6000-6200 rpm and when you grab the next gear you are still in the meat of the power band. What happens when you shift at 7000 rpm and grab the next gear at say 5000 rpm, you've already used most of the meaty power in the new gear while at the same time losing some power from revving it out to 7000 rpm in the previous gear.

The above is a general statement as I wasn't directing it at you...since we are on the same page.

athos56

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info on the red line. I'm trying to rewire my brain, for some reason my brain is wired to see pulling back as the logical motion for shifting up. So I've shifted the wrong way a couple times, then there is that delay in the shift....

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the info on the red line. I'm trying to rewire my brain, for some reason my brain is wired to see pulling back as the logical motion for shifting up. So I've shifted the wrong way a couple times, then there is that delay in the shift....
It's the 1-2 manual shift motion that wired your brain like that. Seemed backwards to me too, but I just kept thinking push the car forward and pull the car back until it made sense.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Nappy216

Ready to race!
Why does my GTI sound like theirs and old dot matrix printer under the hood for few minutes after I shut it off? What the heck is it doing?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Why does my GTI sound like theirs and old dot matrix printer under the hood for few minutes after I shut it off? What the heck is it doing?
Perfectly normal.

It's basically a couple of things...
The electric water pump that runs after shut down to cool off the turbo and exhaust manifold that's intagrated into the cylinder head.

The quiet beeping that sounds like a dot matrix printer is I believe the throttle body that is going through adaptations to confirm it's working properly. I think there's also a solenoid in the thermostat housing that makes a bunch of noise.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

I thought the DSG wouldn't allow a shift if the gear you're asking for would put you past redline at your current speed?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I'm really wondering if there's any functionality to the inner middle reflectors.

Similar to the mk5 flash to pass inner lights.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66060
Ever since these posts of flash to pass today, I've been looking at a couple of photos I have of my car and eventually looked at the headlights during my afternoon break at work. All I see is that fairly weak LED dot...

When I got home, I turned off my headlights (OEM LP) and put the parking brake on to also turn off the DRL, so the only light in my garage is a dim yellow bulb in the garage opening mechanism. I pulled the turn signal stalk towards me and saw blinding light flash at the garage wall with the blue high beam indicator popping up on the gauge cluster.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Ever since these posts of flash to pass today, I've been looking at a couple of photos I have of my car and eventually looked at the headlights during my afternoon break at work. All I see is that fairly weak LED dot...

When I got home, I turned off my headlights (OEM LP) and put the parking brake on to also turn off the DRL, so the only light in my garage is a dim yellow bulb in the garage opening mechanism. I pulled the turn signal stalk towards me and saw blinding light flash at the garage wall with the blue high beam indicator popping up on the gauge cluster.

I'm very well acquainted with how the stock head light works. What I'm curious about is if there's a LED bulb or something in the inner reflector that could be used as a FTP bulb.

If you're wondering "why do you want that :confused:" the answer is simple, check out the link I posted from the mkv forum.

Here's the part that I'm specifically referring to and I think the part that many here are alluding to'
.......Striking an arc (HID, Xenon, etc.) requires a quick burst of extra high current to get the arc established. Once struck, it takes a second to stabilize. Striking an arc lamp causes wear, more so than operating hours. Multiple rapid on/off transitions are especially brutal to longevity, the igniter will not charge quickly enough for rapid on/off resulting in failed strikes. Worse the igniter will keep up, overheat, and fail. To minimize lamp strikes when one or more short quick flashes are commanded with HIDs extinguished, VW provides the filament halogen inner FTP lights.......

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I'm very well acquainted with how the stock head light works. What I'm curious about is if there's a LED bulb or something in the inner reflector that could be used as a FTP bulb.

If you're wondering "why do you want that :confused:" the answer is simple, check out the link I posted from the mkv forum.

Here's the part that I'm specifically referring to and I think the part that many here are alluding to'
Yeah I read that thread. Sorry, my main response to your specific post was really that I didn't see anything but that LED dot in the inner reflector.

I've also yet to come across anything about the inner reflector being used for flash to pass functionality on the MK7 LP.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
yeah the photo posted from Bx is what I see in mine. Still thinking it is a fancy/expensive way to do it. there are several parts that look functional and are made of different stuff that are just for looks. A set of built in fogs/driving lights would look as nice and give you function at a small additional cost. If you look at them closely you even see where the inner "light" is even scalloped out to work as a reflector for the cornering lights. I doubt there is any real value/lumens to be had by trying to get the inner light to work. the few dots seem to be all there is to it.

as always thx to folks for answers.