GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
I notice when I turn my GTI off, the front windshield wipers pop up about a half inch. I don't notice them go down when I start or while I'm driving.

This happens whether I have used the wipers during the drive or not.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know the function / reasoning behind this?

yo_marc

Ready to race!
My question: Why do I hear way more turbo spool-up in warm/hot weather?

Cool weather is here in New England. Car scoots, but turbo is very quiet.

Car is all stock. Been like this the ~two years I've owned it.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I notice when I turn my GTI off, the front windshield wipers pop up about a half inch. I don't notice them go down when I start or while I'm driving.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know the function / reasoning behind this?

Mine does it too. No idea why

sbarrett4

Ready to race!

I've had numerous VW's do this, my understanding is that it helps prolong the life of the rubber blade.

slide13

Ready to race!

As someone stated, helps prolong the wiper blade life by not keeping it in the same static position all the time.

I think if you look closely you'll notice they drop when start the car up...or maybe it's when you start moving.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My question: Why do I hear way more turbo spool-up in warm/hot weather?

Cool weather is here in New England. Car scoots, but turbo is very quiet.

Car is all stock. Been like this the ~two years I've owned it.

in my experience, it should be the exact opposite lol. colder = louder spool

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
The turbo should be working less in cooler temps as the air is denser, no?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
sound travels better in cold temps because the air is less dense.

no idea if that is true but it sounds good (intended)

;)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Cold air is more dense. Sound travels better in cold air because there is less moisture in the air. Same reason the sun is harsher in the winter, less moisture to refract the light.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Cold air is more dense. Sound travels better in cold air because there is less moisture in the air. Same reason the sun is harsher in the winter, less moisture to refract the light.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

This is normal behaviour. My mk6 did the same thing. I forget where I read it, but the short answer is that it does this to allow the wiper blades to last a bit longer :cool: