GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Every time I turn on the car the media volume is 0. Is there an option to start it at a certain level or the level when the car was last turned off?

Yes, go into the sound setup then volume. You can set the max startup volume in that menu. My guess is that it's currently set to 0.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
it does a terrible job at auto-adjusting the gauge brightness in low-light. I've noticed this on my mk6 also but at dusk if you have your headlights off and not on auto-mode the light sensor is supposed to brighten the white gauge lettering so you can see it but it only does it incredibly dimly to the point where you enrage and just turn your headlights on to see the gauges again.

Does it on my mk7 just as piss-poorly

Do you have tints?

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Two things:

Should I not be pushing the car till the oil temp reaches around 200 degrees or the temp that's below the tach (engine?) reaches 200?

Also once your done with your drive, one that was normal and one that was more spirited, do you let the car sit in park for a little before you turn it off?

Any other things I should take into account as this is my first turbo and sports car essentially.

Subito

Ready to race!
Coolant temp reaches 200 degrees very quickly, but that doesn't mean the car is ready to be pushed. Opinions vary, but people generally look for oil temp to be 185 degrees or more before they start romping on the throttle. I wait until 200 degrees but I have no empirical evidence that shows that temp is the magic turning point.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Two things:

Should I not be pushing the car till the oil temp reaches around 200 degrees or the temp that's below the tach (engine?) reaches 200?

Also once your done with your drive, one that was normal and one that was more spirited, do you let the car sit in park for a little before you turn it off?

Any other things I should take into account as this is my first turbo and sports car essentially.

I usually don't get too spirited until the oil temp is above 185. The engine temp hits around 200 much sooner than the oil, so I go by the oil temp. I think this is the general consensus around here, based on reading.

I think the days of letting a turbo car sit while running after a drive are gone. I think that was a mentality back with early turbo cars, but someone with a better understanding can chime in. I just remember this coming up on the MKV forums as well, and even back in 2006 it wasn't really necessary.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Does the non DSG automatic hold boost in between shifts? Which seems faster in a straight line, paddle shifting or just flooring it in S mode?

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Thanks guys! And yes I noticed that coolant temps reached 200 way quicker than oil temp, which is why I asked. I remember seeing someone mention that on here, but it's good to know the consensus view.

Bowser

Ready to race!
Really stupid question - reading oil temp requires installation of oil temp gauge? Admit I initially (and stupidly) mistook the engine temp under the tach to be oil temp.

Under "Vehicle settings" and "Instrument cluster", I scrolled down and saw "Oil temperature" and it is checked. But I can't figure out where it is displayed. Saw nothing in my owner's manual, other than a listing of what I described above.

How long at what speed does it take to get above 185? And what do folk mean by "getting on it"? I've got a 4 mile commute on city streets. I'd imagine it doesn't get up to temp until I'm pulling onto my parking space! :p But in some instances, I do take it up to 4k or more, merging into traffic - especially pulling out of the lot onto a kinda major street on the way home.

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Really stupid question - reading oil temp requires installation of oil temp gauge? Admit I initially (and stupidly) mistook the engine temp under the tach to be oil temp.

Under "Vehicle settings" and "Instrument cluster", I scrolled down and saw "Oil temperature" and it is checked. But I can't figure out where it is displayed. Saw nothing in my owner's manual, other than a listing of what I described above.

How long at what speed does it take to get above 185? And what do folk mean by "getting on it"? I've got a 4 mile commute on city streets. I'd imagine it doesn't get up to temp until I'm pulling onto my parking space! :p But in some instances, I do take it up to 4k or more, merging into traffic - especially pulling out of the lot onto a kinda major street on the way home.

It is displayed in the entertainment system virtual gauges (in the GTI anyway). Click the "car" button on the right of the screen, then open the menu and click the "performance" option. It should pull up three gauges that you can cycle through a variety of parameters (coolant temp, oil temp, boost, etc.).

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

Under "Vehicle settings" and "Instrument cluster", I scrolled down and saw "Oil temperature" and it is checked. But I can't figure out where it is displayed. Saw nothing in my owner's manual, other than a listing of what I described above. .

Displayed in the middle display, all the ones ticked can be viewed there by scrolling up and down on the steering wheel.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Like finglonga I use the dash cluster and leave it on oil temp. For me, the center display is prime real estate for music and phone.

Anyway, the rule of thumb appears to be dont take it above 3000rpm until you reach 180F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowser

Ready to race!
It is displayed in the entertainment system virtual gauges (in the GTI anyway). Click the "car" button on the right of the screen, then open the menu and click the "performance" option. It should pull up three gauges that you can cycle through a variety of parameters (coolant temp, oil temp, boost, etc.).

Thanks. I have a 17 GTI SE.

When I click on "car", and the "selection", I do not get a "performance" option. What appears is:
Sport
Energy consumers
Driving Data
Think Blue
Vehicle Status.

When I click Sport, I get "Performance Monitor". That gives me the 3 guages: psi/g/kW. If I arrow next, I get lap timer. That's it.

Under Vehicle Status, all I get is tire pressure.

Clicking "Setup", I can get to "Instrument cluster", where I scroll down to see that "oil temp" is checked.

And I guess I could check the manual to see which of the steering wheel controls clicks through, but it was not obvious as I sat in my garage. Gotta admit, I rarely use wheel controls if there is a dash alternative.

Really sucks being an analog guy in an increasingly digital world. IIRC, you are limited in what you can see/adjust while driving. And just sitting in my garage iudling on 2 occasions this a.m., I couldn't figure it out. Looked through all of the manual materials, and couldn't get an answer.

Thanks for your help, guys.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Thanks. I have a 17 GTI SE.

When I click on "car", and the "selection", I do not get a "performance" option. What appears is:
Sport
Energy consumers
Driving Data
Think Blue
Vehicle Status.

When I click Sport, I get "Performance Monitor". That gives me the 3 guages: psi/g/kW. If I arrow next, I get lap timer. That's it.

Under Vehicle Status, all I get is tire pressure.

Clicking "Setup", I can get to "Instrument cluster", where I scroll down to see that "oil temp" is checked.

And I guess I could check the manual to see which of the steering wheel controls clicks through, but it was not obvious as I sat in my garage. Gotta admit, I rarely use wheel controls if there is a dash alternative.

Really sucks being an analog guy in an increasingly digital world. IIRC, you are limited in what you can see/adjust while driving. And just sitting in my garage iudling on 2 occasions this a.m., I couldn't figure it out. Looked through all of the manual materials, and couldn't get an answer.

Thanks for your help, guys.

When you see the three gauges you can swipe up or down on them (don't use left or right arrows).

Like other's mentioned it is much easier and quicker to view the oil temp through the display in the dash. If you have it set on driving data (where you can see your speed limit) just use the up or down arrows to scroll through the different driving data cards and one is oil temp. This is the way I do it. I leave my mph card and then just do a quick scroll to see what oil temp is if I care to see.