GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 GTI vs STI

B00STED1

Ready to race!
Happened last week on a Wednesday after I installed my Rev9 downpipe (which didn't go well at all lol) and was trying to get feedback on how it sounded. Saw a red STI (15+) and he revved at me while we were at a light so we let traffic clear up a bit. Once we started rolling I looked at him and nodded for him to go ahead and take the hit (I'm only JB4 tuned besides the DP) so after spinning second from a 30 roll I reeled him in, I for some reason shifted at only 5k instead of letting it go through the whole powerband, but pulled until half a car length then shut it down due to traffic right ahead. Afterwards I asked him what was done to his car and he said said exhaust work while he complimented me on the way my car sounded to my surprise. Honestly felt great beating an STI since it was a sort of goal of mine, even if he was mostly stock lol

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
A kill is a kill, :D

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
You should really be shifting at 5.5k at the VERY latest on an is20, so shifting at 5k isn't too bad

B00STED1

Ready to race!
You should really be shifting at 5.5k at the VERY latest on an is20, so shifting at 5k isn't too bad
That's one thing I've been trying to decipher. I've seen others when roll racing let the DSG do the shifting (literally going through the whole power band after 6k) but have also read to shift at around 5.5k. When I ran my friends 3.0T Q50 I just let the car go through the whole range and shift on its own.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
That's one thing I've been trying to decipher. I've seen others when roll racing let the DSG do the shifting (literally going through the whole power band after 6k) but have also read to shift at around 5.5k. When I ran my friends 3.0T Q50 I just let the car go through the whole range and shift on its own.
I'm usually in manual mode >95% of the time. No DSG tune yet (c'mon Cobb). I let it shift on its own once, and it banged off the rev limiter a few times before actually shifting. Don't know if it was a traction (or lack thereof) issue, or if the engine is just winding up faster than the TCU thinks it is...but I won't be doing that again.

B00STED1

Ready to race!
I'm usually in manual mode >95% of the time. No DSG tune yet (c'mon Cobb). I let it shift on its own once, and it banged off the rev limiter a few times before actually shifting. Don't know if it was a traction (or lack thereof) issue, or if the engine is just winding up faster than the TCU thinks it is...but I won't be doing that again.

Since installing my JB4 & downpipe, I've only accelerated hard once in first and it also banged off the rev limiter due to traction and in second it still spun a bit then gripped. I never accelerate hard in first or second now due to how much wheel spin there is.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Its because in most scenarios running out the whole gear will give more power than shifting early

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nope. is20 runs out of steam way before redline. Realistically the sweet spot(give or take 100ish RPM depending on tune) is around 5.3k RPM. If you're winding your car out farther than that you're losing.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Nope. is20 runs out of steam way before redline. Realistically the sweet spot(give or take 100ish RPM depending on tune) is around 5.3k RPM. If you're winding your car out farther than that you're losing.

This varies widely based on the tune.

With Unitronic my car was absolutely faster reving all the way to redline (21psi).

With Cobb, it was definitely faster to shift early (28-29psi).

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion

Yes, yes. What I gave been saying 4ever! :).

brobst

Go Kart Champion
We can all agree shifting before peak power is bad.
You have to consider hp/tq curve in addition to gear ratio/final drive ratio. Simply looking at the rpm for the current gear and next gear is simplifying it.
Plus as stated before it will vary with tune.
Here is example calculation of everything http://www.welltall.com/ymc/discovery/car/shiftpt.html

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I need to get a good meme of "Subarus are not fast" and post them in every Subaru kill thread.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I need to get a good meme of "Subarus are not fast" and post them in every Subaru kill thread.

Ha tell me about it, met a guy with a bugeye WRX at the track.. "big turbo" protuned on e85, he was running low 12s vs my 11s... he was amazed how fast the R was trapping with stock turbo. He gave me the old, trans problems excuse as to why he was not running any faster.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Ha tell me about it, met a guy with a bugeye WRX at the track.. "big turbo" protuned on e85, he was running low 12s vs my 11s... he was amazed how fast the R was trapping with stock turbo. He gave me the old, trans problems excuse as to why he was not running any faster.

If it was the 5 speed I'm surprised it survived the launch.

FWIW my GTI survived 30k miles before cylinder 3 went sideways, each platform has it problems.

Going to look at a MK7 Golf S tonight after work for a new daily though.