GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI for dual-use Track/Daily vs BRZ

Angst1974

Car(s)
718 Cayman GTS
Looking for my 19 year old son . He can drive a manual , but not much "stick time" as his current daily is an automatic . He would be starting out doing 2-3 HPDE weekends a year , then using the car for limited daily while he is at school , figure 4000 miles a year max .

I was really leaning BRZ at first as it's certainly the better track car , but the GTI has a decent , or so I hear DSG , and more practical around town .

How are the the DSGs ? I drove a MK8 DSG yesterday and it felt "ok" , are you guys paddle shifting ?

I drive a PDK Cayman GTS on the track , I just let it do it's thing , and it's perfect.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Tuned DSG is night and day better than stock. Haven't driven the Mk8 but it's roughly the same 7-speed as mined.
Auto vs. auto, dsg hands down over the BRZ 6AT.
In his situation I'd want the BRZ, unless he's carting around dogs or friends regularly. BRZ has a much lower power ceiling and higher handling ceiling, mod for mod. Cheaper on consumables, too. Much better for learning on IMO.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
For track stuff I have a ton of info at https://datadrivenmqb.com

I think the GTI is better if you want to prioritize daily use, comfort, and power.

The BRZ is hands down better if you're tracking it more often from a consumables standpoint. I'd be REAL honest if he has intentions of tracking 4+ weekends a year, I'd probably go away from the GTI.

As long as it's not a new 2.4L version. They are blowing engines up left and right. The older 13-21(?) are generally reliable.

On track they'll be pretty similar in overall pace IME, with power tracks giving the nod to the GTI. A REALLY well driven BRZ may still be faster.

Mine is modded about perfectly for daily + a ton of track time IMO. Adding more power via IS38 turbo gets $$$ as I feel my brakes are pushed about as hard as I'm comfortable with (DS3.12/1.11 pads and good fluid, measured 1500+F rotor temps).

A NASA TT5 maxed BRZ will run 2:08s at VIR. My GTI still on stock springs and turbo has done a 2:12, with some time still left on the table. Most casually prepped and reasonably well driven BRZ/GTIs will be in the 2:15-2:20 range.

GTI is hugely weather dependent for running a fast lap. You will also need to do it within the first couple laps before heat soak slows everything down. 2:15s-2:18s is a more casual pace in sub optimal conditions.

No idea where you're at, but I'll be at VIR in December with another 10ish MQB owners. You and your son are welcome to come for a ride along to get an idea of what it's like.

Edit: also I freaking love the DSG. With a tune it's very good. Not Porsche PDK good though. I use manual mode on track. Keeps things predictable not grabbing the wrong gear while flying through T10.

Angst1974

Car(s)
718 Cayman GTS
For track stuff I have a ton of info at https://datadrivenmqb.com

I think the GTI is better if you want to prioritize daily use, comfort, and power.

The BRZ is hands down better if you're tracking it more often from a consumables standpoint. I'd be REAL honest if he has intentions of tracking 4+ weekends a year, I'd probably go away from the GTI.

As long as it's not a new 2.4L version. They are blowing engines up left and right. The older 13-21(?) are generally reliable.

On track they'll be pretty similar in overall pace IME, with power tracks giving the nod to the GTI. A REALLY well driven BRZ may still be faster.

Mine is modded about perfectly for daily + a ton of track time IMO. Adding more power via IS38 turbo gets $$$ as I feel my brakes are pushed about as hard as I'm comfortable with (DS3.12/1.11 pads and good fluid, measured 1500+F rotor temps).

A NASA TT5 maxed BRZ will run 2:08s at VIR. My GTI still on stock springs and turbo has done a 2:12, with some time still left on the table. Most casually prepped and reasonably well driven BRZ/GTIs will be in the 2:15-2:20 range.

GTI is hugely weather dependent for running a fast lap. You will also need to do it within the first couple laps before heat soak slows everything down. 2:15s-2:18s is a more casual pace in sub optimal conditions.

No idea where you're at, but I'll be at VIR in December with another 10ish MQB owners. You and your son are welcome to come for a ride along to get an idea of what it's like.

Edit: also I freaking love the DSG. With a tune it's very good. Not Porsche PDK good though. I use manual mode on track. Keeps things predictable not grabbing the wrong gear while flying through T10.
Hey thanks , he’s in Richmond and I’m in NoVA now . My home track is Summit Point, but have been meaning to hit VIR forever . I keep going north, lol .

I may replace my daily with a GTI though…. lol

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Hey thanks , he’s in Richmond and I’m in NoVA now . My home track is Summit Point, but have been meaning to hit VIR forever . I keep going north, lol .

I may replace my daily with a GTI though…. lol

Oh nice. I'm in Newport News (about an hour east of Richmond).

The event I'm referring to is here:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...rginia-international-raceway-tidewater-660630

It'll probably be cold but don't let the weather keep you away if you want to squeeze one more weekend in :D Its an incredible track and you're missing out if you haven't been yet.

IMG_6209.jpeg

He's also welcome to check the car out if he wants to come to Newport News.

@tigeo lives in Richmond and has an IS38 wagon FWIW, and tracks frequently (and will also be at VIR in December).

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
DSG is v. good but auto mode (sport) even tuned isn't as good as just manually shifting with the paddles...lifting often causes un-wanted up-shifts and flooring it causes un-wanted jerky down-shifts. Not a PDK or 🤣

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Oh nice. I'm in Newport News (about an hour east of Richmond).

The event I'm referring to is here:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...rginia-international-raceway-tidewater-660630

TSCC buys weather insurance for their Feb events, so if it snows and track can't run, you get refunded, so don't let the weather keep you away if you want to squeeze one more weekend in :D Its an incredible track and you're missing out if you haven't been yet.

View attachment 295138

He's also welcome to check the car out if he wants to come to Newport News.

@tigeo lives in Richmond and has an IS38 wagon FWIW, and tracks frequently (and will also be at VIR in December).
Tony nailed it. great dual duty car and the DSG is the way to go. I would pick it over a BRZ simply because on the street the BRZ is way less useful. Also we've got 12 VW drivers coming to VIR in December currently and its such am amazing track. Would love to see you out there!

I always track my car in auto/sport mode and rarely use the paddles. Occasionally it will find itself in the wrong gear and need to kick down but for the majority of the time its where it needs to be. Im running APR's DSG tune.

Last edited:

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Tony nailed it. great dual duty car and the DSG is the way to go. I would pick it over a BRZ simply because on the street the BRZ is way less useful. Also we've got 12 VW drivers coming to VIR in December currently and its such am amazing track. Would love to see you out there!

I always track my car in auto/sport mode and rarely use the paddles. Occasionally it will find itself in the wrong gear and need to kick down but for the majority of the time its where it needs to be. Im running APR's DSG tune.
Interesting, I feel like APR's DSG tune kinda sucks on track, upshifts way too soon so I prefer to paddle shift myself. Could also just be user error on throttle....
My other car is a Cayman S and the PDK is *chef's kiss*

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I'll chime in as I sold my MK7 GTI after a couple years of dual duty usage (about 10 track days/year) and bought a GR86 in its place for the track. Also have a MK8 GTI as well.

The GR86 is definitely a bit more fun on track being RWD and all, but for only 3-4 days a year I'd take the GTI all day. It is a way better daily. The GR86 with some dual duty mods still has beaten me up commuting so much I'm actually planning on buying a Jetta just to make GR86 track only. If he's in college or that age the GTI is far more practical for hauling friends and stuff around. I bought my MK7 my senior year of college and it always served me well. In the real world its faster too, especially with the DSG. The auto in the GR86/BRZ is not really great so I'd skip that, manual is very nice. For the GTI, I prefer the DSG, as the manual is not my favorite.

The current gen GR86 does have a bit of an oil pressure problem when running sticky tires and especially if using factory fill 0W-20, so if he's going to get serious into tracking the car, that is an issue that will need to be addressed (and currently the only promising solution is Accusump + Oil Cooler + 1L overfill). However if he's just going to do a few days on the stock wheels/tires and is not super experienced, he shouldn't have any issues, just swap the oil to 5W-40 and run a slight overfill.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well if you come to a VW enthusiast forum and ask VW or Subaru.. we all better stick up for VW.

However, you are saying he may put in about 8 hours of track driving a year and the rest of the time using it to get around town, haul stuff and friends. Considering how little track use it is going to get GTI is easily the most practical choice for a young guy but most young guys would rather have cool 2 seater sports car than something practical.

Good luck Dad, my son got a Jetta GLI, that he paid for.