GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI AWD Conversion

MK7GTIJACOB

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I've been looking for some information on AWD converting a MK7 GTI. I know the common consensus is to buy an R, which makes perfect sense to me as well, but in the US we didn't get two door Golf R's, and I'm quite partial to my two door in addition to coming into some spare change to throw at such a project. In any event, as I understand it, the following parts are required for the swap:

AWD Trans
Carrier Bearing
Driveshaft
Different Sized Passenger Front Axle
Rear Subframe/Diff/Suspension & Knuckle Assemblies
AWD Downpipe
AWD Gas Tank/LPFP
Possibly Electronic E Brake Conversion (Unsure if there are any AWD MQB's that retain the manual handbrake)
Rear Trunk/Hatch Floor pan needs welded in to fit the subframe/diff
MK7 R TCU
Various Wiring/Coding

Any additional articles, links, personal experiences, or information about someone who HAS done this before would be greatly appreciated. I realize it is generally a topic that is asked about, but typically never acted upon, but I intend to start assembling parts, and doing research I can to figure out how to make it work. Thanks guys, and cheers.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Possibly Electronic E Brake Conversion (Unsure if there are any AWD MQB's that retain the manual handbrake)

NAR Golf Alltrack had manual handbrake and AWD

I think that in your case of such big modification, maybe making 5door R to 3door R by swapping B pillar doors,etc from 3door would be easier? Less mess with mechanical troubleshooting/coding/wiring/etc.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
hell no, have you ever looked at the side profile of a 2 door vs 4 door ? the C pillar is different too... it would be way harder.

OP, go for Reflex Silver.... that color never came to the US either, you would have the rarest R in North America.

MK7GTIJACOB

Passed Driver's Ed
hell no, have you ever looked at the side profile of a 2 door vs 4 door ? the C pillar is different too... it would be way harder.

OP, go for Reflex Silver.... that color never came to the US either, you would have the rarest R in North America.
I had a reflex silver MK7 4 door previously, now I have a Carbon Steel Gray two door. I know of one USDM CSG Golf R in the USA, I believe it was painted by mistake by the factory in that color as they were never offered in that color in any market to my knowledge. I'd be okay with being the only "2 Door CSG" R in the US. It'll be quite the challenge and easier to swap into the chassis I already have as opposed to modifying a 4 door R as stated previously.